Movie Ticket Prices Slid Almost 5% to $7.96

The Lego Movie

The average cost of a U.S. movie ticket slid 4.7% in the first quarter from $8.35 to $7.96, the National Association of Theater Owners has reported.

The price decline came amid an absence of 3D revenues from several top-grossing first-quarter titles — “The Lego Movie,” “Ride Along” and “Divergent.” Attendance for “Lego,” which has hit $252 million domestically, was dominated by children, who pay lower prices for tickets.

The 2013 fourth quarter saw strong performances from “Gravity” and “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” which were both in 3D — resulting in surcharges.

The average price of a movie ticket last year was $8.13, according to NATO.

1. Swissangel says:

Hm… $ 8.50 to $ 7,98? Nice. here in Switzerland in my area it cost one ticket about $ 19.00 +

2. Chris says:

My area the matinee costs 8.50, $11 after 4pm and $14.50 for 3d. One chain (60+ screens) controls 90% or more of the screens.

Overpriced tickets, mediocre experience and poor product is the reason people are viewing online.

3. RS says:

When will they realize that not every movie needs to be done in 3D ? Enough already ! And as for the ticket prices, a lot of people are catching the matinee, because the price is so much cheaper. It drives me crazy that you’re expected to pay astronomical prices not only for a movie, but for snacks as well. To top it all off, you’re normally stuck being surrounded by people either chatting loudly, playing with their phones, or someone’s kid being a total pain (I’ve had that happen twice to me within the past few months). I just had it where I went to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier and I kept having to turn around and glare at this guy in the row behind me, because he felt the need to loudly explain to his friend about what happened with Cap in the comics. Save it for after the movie ! As for the kids part, I went to two separate movies that were aimed at kids, and had an empty seat between myself and a child. The child then proceeded to repeatedly flip the seat up causing a loud banging noise, before the parent said anything. The second movie that I went to where the same thing occurred, the parents said nothing to little precious. Finally having had enough, I maneuvered my leg into position to where it blocked the seat from budging. When the kid couldn’t bang it, she looked at me upset and I gave her the “Go ahead I dare you to say something to me” look. Needless to say, she sat quietly for the rest of the movie. Its just not worth it anymore in all honesty.

4. Jim Krisvoy says:

As long as the global market supports films in 3D the studios will continue to make them. In the U.S. the higher premiums for 3D are driving away low to moderate income families who then opt for 2D and lower admission prices. At some point it may make sense to drop the premium on underperforming 3D films
    either before or by the 2nd week and then
    determine if the strategy works. Laser
    projection may make a difference down
    the line for audiences because of its’
    pristine showprint characteristics along
    with other consumer based 3D products
    about to hit the marketplace.

5. Robert says:

“The Lego Movie” was released in 3D, though…

6. Martin says:

3D is a dead man walking.

7. Jim Krisvoy says:

The motion picture “Divergent” is not a 3D title & should not be in the 3D mix.

8. tdoa says:

Where is this, I’ll move there! Movies in Canada cost on average $12;00!

• John says:

I on average spend $10-12 for an adult ticket when going to the movies. Some theaters like the “Showcase Cinemas” have premiere seating with the max cost of a whooping $28 a ticket. I go to the movies often and am not looking to spend $28 bucks every other weekend.

• Katie says:

Yeah I was going to say the same thing!! Regular movies are $12.50 here and 3D or IMAX can be close to $20

9. Mike says:

The price of the ticket isn’t a deterrent. It’s the outrageous prices of popcorn, soda, etc..

• WalterWhite says:

I can go without popcorn or a drink, it’s the price of a movie ticket for me and the movies that are coming out lately.

10. $7.96?!?!?!?! Is that a typo?!

I haven’t seen a movie for less than $17.96 in 3 years.