Monty Python Stage Show to Play in Movie Theaters Worldwide

Monty Python Stage Show Play Movie

Picturehouse nabs international distribution rights to live show

LONDON — Picturehouse Entertainment has nabbed the international distribution rights to broadcast Monty Python’s final live show at London’s O2 Arena on July 20 to movie theaters around the world.

The show, “The Last Night of Monty Python,” has been billed as a farewell to the comedy troupe. “Join the crowd live from London’s O2 in a final weepy, hilarious, uproarious, outrageous, farewell to the five remaining Pythons as they head for The Old Jokes Home … on the big screen, in HD,” the Pythons said in a statement.

It will be directed by Aubrey Powell and produced by Fiz Oliver. John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin will perform some of Monty Python’s best-known hits, “with modern, topical, Pythonesque twists.”

There was huge demand for tickets for the live performances at the O2, which will mark Monty Python’s first performance on stage since they appeared at the Hollywood Bowl in 1980. More than 450 cinemas across the U.K. will take the live broadcast, and some 1,500 screens across the world, according to the Pythons.

“Thanks to the wonderful invention of moving pictures, ‘The Last Night of Monty Python’ is coming to a cinema near you,” the Pythons said in a statement. “Get your knotted handkerchiefs out and warm your brains one last time.”

“Picturehouse Entertainment continue to push the boundaries of live cinema broadcasts in what is set to be one of the biggest and certainly funniest events of the year,” said Marc Allenby, head of commercial development at Picturehouse.

Monty Python appeared in 45 episodes of their series for the BBC between 1969 and 1974, as well as films such as “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” in 1975, “Life of Brian” in 1979 and “The Meaning of Life” in 1983.

1. “And now, time for something completely different”

2. Beverly Merrick says:

Wow, wish I could see this

3. benskelly2 says:

It was very well and then it got silly.

4. Judy says:

How do we find a cinema which will be broadcasting this?

5. I hope they’ll consider pay-per-view, or better yet, streaming internet. These days, I don’t even go to theaters any more due to all the inconsiderate people chatting away, texting, etc.

6. Wendy Hijazi says:

How do I find what theater it’s playing in? I live in Northern California. Please provide a list so I won’t miss this!!!

7. Brigadier General Phineas Smith III, Mrs. (Deceased) says:

Dear Sir: The last paragraph of your article contains an error. There were far many more than forty five episodes of Monty Python’s Flying Circus. There were probably more than forty five featuring multiple transvestites, and multiple loonies.

Sincerely,
    Brigadier General Phineas Smith III, Mrs. (Deceased)

• metalicatt says:

You sir, are a genius. [Came for the General comment…left happy]

• Brigadier General Phineas Smith III, Mrs. (Deceased) says:

Why, thank you, Metallicat. As it so happens, this “Sir” is a Ma’am (which is part of why I added “Mrs.”….), but I figured that’s the only way to respond to the error.

8. Derek Wilson says:

Birmingham, AL, please!!!

9. John says:

So, everything I want to know except which theaters near me will be participating (which, actually, is pretty much all I want to know).

10. Stephen says:

I was lucky enough to have seen the only two live shows in the US. at the City Center in New York and the Hollywood Bowl.

11. Tim says:

No one likes to laugh more than I do, except my wife, oh yes and Captain Johnson, now director when I say CUT…. wait for it…. director….CUT

12. Kev O'Mara says:

I’d actually prefer to see the show this way. Comedy in Arena size venues just doesn’t work for me. You end up watching the screens anyway.

13. Nice. Cheese Shop, please.

14. Barbara says:

Really hope to see it in Italy!!

15. James says:

I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay, I sleep all night and I work all day.

16. Spike says:

Can’t wait to see those crazy boys again!

17. Will this be a simulcast? Can people sit in a theater in North America and watch it as it happens?

• Derek Wilson says:

No, Michael, they are selling tickets to all those theaters so people can just sit and watch reruns of “Are You Being Served”…

• Sign me up! I’ll wear my green wig. (However, these theater events often are NOT live, especially when the event takes place in a different country. I’m glad to hear we can head to the theater at 3 pm on the east coast and watch it live.)

• Michelle says:

“More than 450 cinemas across the U.K. will take the live broadcast, and some 1,500 screens across the world, according to the Pythons.”

18. grammycross says:

So thankful for this! Much respect for John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin. They have all filled our lives with laughter! Sadly, we’re missing one, but I am sure he is smiling from the heavens shouting “Tis only a flesh wound!”

• Yep, saw that and the construction of the sentence left it a little vague for me. I’m assuming (and hopeful) it will be live a la the Doctor Who special recently, though undoubtedly they’ll replay it again if demand warrants and then release on DVD etc.