Michael Douglas to Play Hank Pym in Marvel’s ‘Ant-Man’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Michael Douglas Ant Man
Ben Gabbe/Getty Images

Paul Rudd is set to star

After winning the Golden Globe Sunday for “Behind the Candelabra,” Michael Douglas has found a high-profile new gig as scientist Hank Pym in Marvel’s “Ant-Man.”

Edgar Wright is helming the pic from a script he wrote with Joe Cornish.

“With Hank Pym’s rich history in the Marvel Universe, we knew we needed an actor capable of bringing the weight and stature to the role that the character deserves,” said Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige. “We felt incredibly relieved when Michael Douglas agreed to step into the part with the charm and fortitude he brings to every character he inhabits, and couldn’t be more excited to see what he will do to bring Hank Pym to life.”

Observers ave been curious for some time to see how Wright would handle the universe of “Ant-Man,” since the superhero was portrayed in the comicbooks by both Pym and Scott Lang, whom Rudd will be playing. Pym was the scientist who originally created a chemical that allowed him to change his size, and when he retired, he handled the title of “Ant-Man” to Lang.

Wright had already surprised people by naming Rudd, who is better known for comedic roles than action roles, for the part of Lang, so it seems he’s going to be taking “Ant-Man” in a different direction than fans of the comic might be expecting.

Plot details are being kept under wraps. Feige is producing. Marvel had pursued Douglas early on for the part, but the actor was cautious until sources said he had a change of heart over the holidays.

Douglas is repped by WME.

1. T.minor says:

He’s way to old for this role.

2. Bernarda says:

I was looking for information about it and I\’ve found your website by chance, very interesting information, I congratulate you, I recommend you to my friends.

3. How does this affect Paul Rudd?

4. j keats says:

It’s okay to proofread you’re own stuff before it’s posted. This is almost hard to readn

5. Max Stone says:

I think we should take it easy on the writer of this article. It may have its shortcomings, but it’s clear that the author truly appreciates the material he is covering, and that really comes across. Plus, he is 10, and his mother is very, very proud of him.

6. modi says:

Seeing as how age is no longer an issue Djimon Hounsou is long over due for the starring role in Marvel’s Black Panther movie.

7. Big Flex says:

Who is Rudd? Paul Rudd? Snoop Rudd?

Why don’t you tell us who Rudd is.

Disclaimer: I know who Rudd is.

• Meh 741 says:

Except F4 isnt a Marvel Studios property , ironically . We had yet to see actors play numerous roles in the same established universe .

And Shared universe is a big thing here , it’s Marvel’s current winning formula

• Alex says:

Yeah but they’re rebooting FF and they’re seperate cinematic universes. Sony has the rights to FF and X-Men and is looking to connect the franchises while the Marvel movies are a seperate continuity. Hence he can’t be 2 different characters in Marvel movies.

8. Matches says:

As a college student studying journalism, I agree with the previous comments; this article is a disgrace. Variety, you need to do better than this. I know without a doubt I can write a superior article to this.

9. npa_ says:

why is this article so poorly written, and how is this an “exclusive” when Marvel released the information before. You should go back on your iPhone and re-type this.

10. Dutchcon says:

This is the smallest article of all time- yet RIDDLED with ridiculous typos. So unprofessional I stopped reading. What is the prerequisite for being a Variety ‘journalist’ these days? So inept. Typed on an iPhone? Can I have their job? Most places this would be inexcusable. Low standards I suppose.

11. When you link to this article, it says he’s playing the villain. You should fix that.

• big daddy D says:

I agree. The heading link stated he was returning to his villainous days of Gordon Gekko by being the villain in Ant-Man. I was excited to see if there was a hint as to his role. The article then showed he would play Hank Pym. I think Mr Kroll needs to do some fact back checking..or at least some spell check/auto correct. Either way, Henry Pym has a great history in the Marvel Universe.

• big daddy D says:

I agree. The heading link stated he was returning to his villainous days of Gordon Gekko but being the villain in Ant-Man

12. Steve says:

This article is one of the most poorly written I’ve ever seen. Unbelievably bad.

13. kyle says:

It’s not an exclusive if Marvel released the story!