Roland Emmerich, Dean Devlin Board ‘Stargate’ Trilogy at MGM, Warner Bros.

Roland Emmerich, Dean Devlin Board 'Stargate'

MGM and Warner Bros. are partnering with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin on a reimagining of their sci-fi hit “Stargate.”

Emmerich is set to direct, with Devlin to produce. The idea is to use the film to kick off a planned trilogy that reboots the 1994 pic.

“We couldn’t be more excited to once again partner with Roland and Dean, the world-class creators of the original ‘Stargate,’ to bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations,” MGM chairman-CEO Gary Barber said. “’Stargate’ is one of the biggest titles in MGM’s vast library, and we look forward to adding this great franchise to our slate.”

MGM will be running production on the film, with Jonathan Glickman, president of the motion picture group, overseeing on behalf of MGM, and Greg Silverman, president of creative development and worldwide production, overseeing for Warner Bros. Pictures. Worldwide distribution will be handled by Warner Bros. Pictures, with select international territories to be handled by MGM.

The original film starred Kurt Russell and James Spader and grossed more than $200 million worldwide.

1. Peter says:

Awesome! We love stargate!

Great idea guys! This will be the best movie of all time!

Awesome, awesome and awesome!

…………Jafa Cre!

……… Τuk no non shοva!

…………Cre Jafa!

2. Darren Duncan says:

If this project is an actual reboot that is willing to change some things, even if for a large part still a “do what we originally intended to do”, I can think of one big thing in particular that I’d like to see changed, which is how the Stargate technology works, so it is more like some other kinds of scifi.

That is, change the stargates so that they physically connect the spaces on both ends of the connection into a single contiguous space that one can move through in both directions like they were going through an ordinary door between rooms, and similarly the water effect would be gone, people could see through it in both directions as well.

Existing examples of what I describe are the “Farcaster” gates in the “Hyperion” novels, and also the door to the Tardis in Doctor Who, as the interior and exterior are distinct connected spaces.

Modern computer effects technology would allow the writers to do this easily, unlike in the 1990s where the water effect was probably a workaround due largely to not being able to portray a different live set simultaneously through a door in another set. Modern Doctor Who is evidence it can be done the way I describe now, and I think it would be really great for Stargate to do that.

The main plot points of the existing Stargate could still be followed with this change, but the many plot devices from the old series, where Stargate travellers couldn’t see where they were going or didn’t know who had dialed-in, would go away. My proposal would turn that plot device on its head; anyplace you connect to could immediately see you and come your way as fast as you could. You’d probably want to have an airlock around your stargate to deal with common consequences of that, too, eg, just in case you happened to connect with somewhere hazardous such as outer space.

It would also resolve some plot inconsistencies of the original series where sometimes things behaved like the Stargates were 2-way and sometimes not, for the convenience of plot.

Also, the concept of the Stargate deconstructing and reconstructing travellers would go away, although shutting off a connection would still slice a traveller in half. And a protective iris would really be no more protective than an ordinary barrier, it wouldn’t have any special property from being right next to the event horizon as on the TV show.

3. Dee says:

SGU fans are just dying for at least a 2 hour movie to finish the story, PLEASE !!!!

4. And why was it such a big item to MGM’s inventory? yes the tv series. Whilst SyFy might have lost faith the dedicated fans never did. The least they could have done is give Rober C. Cooper and Brad Wright their last 3 season (which is all they asked for) and the fans conclusion (which is all we wanted). On top of that its far to soon for a remake and if Emmerich didnt like giving up the creative rights thats his mistake not ours. If they had given us the final 3 seasons we would have been fine with it…………rant over thank you :(

5. Alex says:

I liked Stargate when it came out, but this does show how Hollywood has little, if any, new ideas. It’s probably best for younger people who haven’t seen everything, yet.

6. JJ Feinauer says:

Reblogged this on Sleeping on the Roof and commented:
    Not only was I unaware that “Stargate” was a franchise that anyone actually cared about, but I also think this strange idea of having the original team behind a movie being the ones to reboot it is really annoying.

7. Sue says:

I personally liked James Spader’s character in the original movie, I would have loved a spin off about just him staying in the world he went to through the Stargate. Never watched any of the TV series.

• Jason Diend says:

Daniel is his character and he was only on that planet for 1 year in the show. They return there plot reasons and his wife gets kidnapped. The first season is more or less going to different planets and Daniel’s motives are to find a way to rescue and save his wife.

8. Tina Walker says:

Cool!!! #ChristianKane could play Dr. Jackson…

9. Glen Waldrop says:

Is it going to follow the movie or the series?

I hope the series, but I’m guessing at this point MGM is just going to let the three series fade into obscurity. The movie was alright, but the series took the concept and made it exceptional.

• Jax says:

The Reboot will be based on the movie. Emmerich has stated in the past that while he thought the TV show was OK, it took the story in a direction that he never intended. As far as this new trilogy goes, the TV shows never existed.

10. Steph says:

YES! When is it coming out.

11. Steve in Texas says:

I may still see all three films if made to judge for myself, but the original was good and really appreciated that the SG1 series kept it going, though there were some changes as it was pretty noticeable, with the loss of a few actors who have left us, such as Don S, Davis, that made the series awesome.

Now, in my opinion only, I really liked SG1, but only the earlier seasons of the first 5 years, give or take. Didn’t like how they changed Teal’c so much, and didn’t care for some of the last few seasons characters played by actors from the Farscape universe. And most definitely detested the SG1 series finally,…SUCKED to the hilt!!! A very lame and great disappointment!!

As for SGA, I liked for the most part throughout it’s entirety till the last season or the last episode or so of the last season, and yes it did seem incomplete. Would have liked it if they promoted the character of John Sheppard from Lt. Col. to full-bird Colonel as his character, as it was scripted, proved over and over his leadership (plus his love of Johnny Cash), even though they did promote his character from Major to Lt. Col. in the second season, I believe.

As for SGU, I could gives a rats @$$ about it. It started off crappy and stayed that way. DULL!!! Again, this is my opinion, only.

Okay, next!!!

12. harry georgatos says:

I have little passion in the filmography of Emmerich as he is the master of blandness with woeful B actors and wooden dialogue. A STAGATE premise is good but in the hands of a Emmerich will,be uninspiring. Thankfully it’s only 6 months to INTERSTELLAR.

13. Mark in Montana says:

The original movie was OK, but not great. The TV shows are what made the entire idea work. To ‘reboot’ and drop the entire story line brought about by SG1, SGA and SGU is just dumb. I would likely not even bother watching it. RDA, Tapping, Shanks etc. are what made it great. Much of the writing was just fantastic….much better than the movie. As others have said, SGU was just starting to hit it stride when it was cancelled. They should bring back SGU from where it left off….but will never happen.

Someone should reboot MGM.

• Monica says:

Agree although I’ll probably see the movies anyway. But the shows were what extended interest in the Stargate concept!!!

14. Steve Kohl says:

I thought that the SG-1 TV series was better than the movie. Now that I think of it, I would eventually watch Stargate movies like I watch Star Trek movies. Good idea.

15. RTC says:

Roland and Dean, the world-class creators of the original ‘Stargate.’ Wrong. That’s what they tried to get the world to believe but Omar Zuhdi was the actual creator, which is why he sued them and settled out of court (you don’t settle as the defendant in a civil suit if the facts are on your side). Can’t believe they’re still sticking to that ridiculous lie!

• Warrior says:

When you’re in engaged in any kind of business, you want to settle, regardless of who’s right, so that you can get back to focusing on what makes you money. The only reason why you’d consider a protracted court battle is when the cost of losing justifies the expense of legal action.

16. Astrakhan says:

After watching “Anonymous”, there’s no way I’m ever giving that hack Emmerich another cent.

17. Tav-El says:

I am currently writing the fourth live-action Stargate series. I just wanted to let you know, in case you’re the type of people who get excited about fans who are trying to bring the real mythology back, starting with some loose ends from ATL.

18. I loved SG-1 (especially the later seasons) and Atlantis, and Universe was just getting good when the idiots went and cancelled it.

I’d love a continuation of Universe or a new show set in the same familiar universe with some cameos from old characters, like Jack O’Neill played by Richard Dean Anderson.

A reboot is the last thing I’d want to see.

19. kmcampbell3 says:

I just want to finish Atlantis’s plot….

20. Mi-go says:

This is rather silly. They sold the rights to Showtime to make the original SG1. It got cancelled there and then was picked up by Syfy. Richard Dean Anderson, Robert Cooper, Brad Wright, Peter Deluise, etc. made the franchise. To say you don’t like what they created and want to make it back is ludicrous. The original movie would have been forgotten if it hadn’t been for the work of those they sold the rights to. The franchise and popularity of it no longer belongs to Emmerich and Devlin.

They may have created the original movie but they are not part of its popularity. The Stargate franchise exist but not by their work. Then again if J.J. Abrams can reimagine Star Trek I suppose they can do the same with Stargate. I however, am not interested in it. Emmerich and Devlin had decades to speak up of their disapproval and try to take back control.

21. Steven says:

That’s cool and all but hello STAR GATE UNIVERSE!!!! NOT RE RUNS THE OLD AND NEW FANS WANT THE STORY AND CHARACTERS TO PLAY OUT NOT BE REIMAGED BY ANOTHER GO AROUND , I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE HELL THE SOURCE WAS IN UNIVERSE! #Destiny

• Rachel says:

I’m not a fan of the series. I only saw the movie because I’ve been a fan of Kurt Russell since I was a little kid and didn’t know the Strongest Man movies were older than I was. I didn’t even know this pair of idiots made it.

I’m commenting because you brought up JJ Abrams and Star Trek. JJ Abrams is JJ Abrams. Ronald Emmerich is the poorman’s Michael Bay. No thank you.

22. MichaelMM says:

This was always planned as a trilogy, but the original rumblings were that they would continue with the original cast and age the characters up to the present. While I am glad the films are being revisited, having the original cast reunited would have been a sight to see.

23. Aeria Gloris says:

Another example of Hollywood which has run out of ideas for new content.

24. Adam says:

There doesn’t need to be a reboot. SG1 did a fantastic job. I love Stargate, but this seems like a waste.

25. Jay R says:

This would have been great news if the TV franchise wasn’t so damned good. Now,the original creators want to start all over and negate all the stuff the fans enjoyed.
    Granted,when the original movie came out,it was great.I still enjoy it from time to time but I just don’t understand why these 2 can’t pull the guys in that made Stargate what it is today, and come up with a way to expand on the universe of stories,characters,etc. that are already right in front of them?
    I think that this is actually going to kill the memory of what the TV franchise created , the fanbase it created and make it just another science fiction series. Dumb move.

26. Ross A says:

It would be nice to see a follow up to the SGA and SGU Universes but it’s a wide known fact that Roland Emmerich’s universe is different to that of the TV series. He originally envisioned a trilogy of films and the TV adaptations for created by a totally different team. I could live with a motion picture reboot personally, but i would definitely like to see a conclusion to both SGU and SGA at some point. I think there’s a massive fan request for this.

27. Aaron says:

By Emmerich’s staunch position that the shows are “bad”, and the almost unanimous comments by fans that the shows were terrific…I’m thinking this trilogy is going to flop…hard.

28. Shanon says:

I don’t think I’d be interested in seeing them if they disregard the TV shows. They were brilliant. We were left hanging when they canceled SGA in favor of SGU and then again when they canceled SGU. I want to see some closure on both those fronts. Not a reimagining of the original movie.

29. Gojira says:

I’m down with sequels to the first movie, but i dont wanna see a remake of that as it was fantastic! sick of these reboots. whats next? Robocop? Total recal? Cliffhanger? oh wait! ….

• Aaron says:

That’s all that’s left. Adaptations, reboots, and sequels.

There are endless ways to make a light bulb, but only a few thousand ways actually work. Media is out of functional original ideas. For originality, all that’s left in all creative forms, is crap that doesn’t really work. Ideas are almost infinite, but good ideas are infinitesimal. We’ve used them all up. Them’s the breaks.

30. Gary says:

I’m so ridiculously excited for this. At the same time, the original movie and all three series were great, so there’s big potential to mess this one up by “reimagining” and fixing a franchise that isn’t broken. Here’s hoping for at least a season to add closure to Stargate: Universe.

• Aaron says:

As I told Bob…Emmerich’s whole point is to throw the TV shows out. He doesn’t like them. He wants to make a trilogy with a closing that can’t possibly be expanded upon, with a story that is utterly divorced from the shows.

• E & D declined to be attached to SG1. The offer was made, but they declined because it wasn’t the story they planned.

• Martyn Drake says:

MGM, to my knowledge, never gave Emmerich or Devlin credit for Stargate on the TV series (e.g. something along the lines of ‘based upon an idea/film by’) on the SG-1 franchise – although David Arnold who wrote the film’s OST got a credit (as the original SG-1 series used his work for the basis of the show’s theme).

I remember asking if Arnold would return for the TV series, not being aware that Devin or Emmerich had anything to do with it. The reply I got from Centropolis made it quite clear they weren’t happy. So I find it interesting that MGM are now playing it cool with them now – but then again, most likely different people at the helm of MGM now than it was back then. Different attitudes, etc.

31. I have no interest in seeing a “reboot”. I loved all 3 of the tv shows and want 2 see those continued in either movies or tv movies, especially SGU as SyFail gave us no closure like they did with SGA even though they did cancel that 1 way ahead of it’s time.

32. Bob says:

This is awesome news! I love the Stargate world and a trilogy would be fantastic! But, I would like to see them continue with where the television series were going or at least keep the continuity of it all in play. I don’t want it ‘reimagined’. It was great the way it was and where it was going.

• Dustin says:

Unfortunately these guys already said they don’t consider the show as part of the continuity. They will continue from where the original movie left off.

• Aaron says:

You’re in for some bad news then, Bob. Emmerich has already stated in a previous interview that everything in the TV shows is out. In fact, he’s specified that he’s doing this because he dislikes the show and feels it “ruined” his vision.

• Luke says:

Can you post a link to that interview where he said that? I can’t seem to find it…