Jon Spaihts Tapped to Write Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’

Dr Strange

Jon Spaihts is in negotiations to write the script for Marvel’s “Doctor Strange.”

Scott Derrickson is on board to direct the pic which will be produced by by Kevin Feige. Executive producers on the project are Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Alan Fine, Stan Lee and Stephen Broussard.

Marvel had no comment on Spaihts’ involvement.

The comicbook revolves around a former neurosurgeon who serves as the “Sorcerer Supreme” — the primary protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats. Strange made his first appearance in the 1963 comicbook series “Strange Tales” and went on to have his own standalone series and appear in several other Marvel Comics properties, including “The Fantastic Four,” “Spider-Man” and “Nick Fury.”

Best known for penning Fox’s “Prometheus,” Spaihts most recently wrote the reboot of “The Mummy” for Universal. He is repped by CAA and Circle of Confusion.

Deadline Hollywood first reported the news.

1. Van Iblis says:

You bozos do realize that Prometheus (like it or hate it), was *not* Spaihts’ work. What you saw was 80% Lindelhof’s total overhaul/rewrite. Jon’s draft was much different.

2. Arthur King says:

I sure hope they get Victor Arthur Joe, to play the Roll of Doctor Strange, Mr. Joe he has at most about him is all that magic… and you can tell…he just has that look, about him.

3. bill de maio says:

I hope the hire a Latin actor for the Doc.

4. Randy Krus says:

Prometheus was kinda dumb…..Feige better have his thumb on Spaihts. Keep him in check. Yo.

5. mattmayhem says:

I think the criticisms are a little harsh based on the fact that Prometheus was rewritten and not the film Spaihts originally wrote. When it comes to comic book movies I think the most important aspect involved in decisions for the creative team are respect and familiarity with the source material. This more than anything along with sticking to a well laid out plan is the not too secret behind Marvel’s success. As long as the director and writer can suppress too much of a need to place a personal stamp on the project and are open to working in harmony with the already established Marvel Cinematic Universe I don’t see a problem.

6. mephistopoles says:

Wow! Such harsh critiques. Yeah thanks Joseph Bernay. I mean it would be nice to know things like that when calling a movie which was what 20 some years late incompetent. Dr. Stranger-er, what needs to be considered very carefully (but not overly considered…hard balancing act) Is not only who will play Stephen Strange but also who will direct along with the writer(s). I heard several months ago which is probably a premature, premature early bit of gossip that Marvel is attempting to get Johnny Depp to play Stephen Strange which to me if that can happen will be as significant as Robert Downey Jr. playing Tony Stark. (It would really be nice if Depp came aboard if he and Downey Jr. could play in just a couple of these films together, you know like Avengers 4, Defenders 1…oh such wishful thinking). My problem/fear is that even still for various reasons many people in Hollywood and in the film and entertainment industry in general want the Super-hero movie to die, crash and burn go away, disappear. They have the echoes of the crap I used to hear from teachers and other adults when I was young about how comic books were trash and didn’t have any educational value. It seems to me there is a very serious undercurrent of this kind of attitude and it’s not the only one which is detrimental in my opinion to comic book movies. Bryan Singer’s ruining of the X-Men series (though I watched and liked the movies) is another example of this kind of thing in which the director doesn’t have enough respect for the property that he or she feels they can have their way with the characters and story. The Days of Future past was a very welcome acknowledgement of a serious mistake but I am still fearful for the X-Men as a comic film product. So far Joss Whedon, the Russo Brothers, Ashley Miller and Zach Stentz, Frank Miller and Bob Goodman seem to get it as far as writing the scripts for these movies. Other writers may or may not get, it’s difficult to say since it is not known why certain writers are initially attached to a film and then we find they have left. Much of the time they may have wanted to change some significant aspect of the film to put their personal stamp on it and the studio or producers said no, but then again it could just as well be the studio wants the writer to do something with the character that’s ridiculous and he or she is not willing. Basically what I am praying to all of the Gods in the nine realms, Olympus, Orun, Heaven and wherever else they might be that this movie will sound another tonic note in the miracle that is Marvel. Oh yeah Kevin, Joe, Stan: Laura Wright (General Hospital) or Yvonne Strahovski (Another Day) Ms. Captain Marvel

7. James Uchrin says:

Bad decision, Prometheus was downright incompetent. Need someone with more experience than this yahoo.

• David says:

Really I though Prometheus was a good flic? I thought it was imaginative and I am already looking forward to the second one I heard they were making. Thought it had cool special effects and a cool concept and plot. They will need some serious special effects for doctor strange and his magic wielding.

8. Peter George Stewart says:

I don’t want ANYBODY who was involved with that ABOMINATION of a movie Pro-frickin’-metheus to be involved in this film. This is DISASTROUS news.

Please reconsider this Marvel, for the love of all things holy.

9. Dr. Strange-er says:

i’m more interested in who will play doc strange.

10. Joseph Bernay says:

Just something you perhaps should have mentioned: Jon Spaihts wrote the original script for Prometheus, but that was not the script used for the film. They hired Damon Lindelof to rewrite the script to take it in a different direction in order for it to not be too much like the other Alien movies. Spaihts’ connection to Prometheus isn’t exactly too relevant.

11. crwilco says:

good luck. Prometheus was horrible.