Jon Chu to Direct Hasbro’s Live Action ‘Jem and the Holograms’ Movie

Jon M. Chu will direct Hasbro’s live action “Jem and the Holograms” movie, based on the cult 1980s animated series.

Blumhouse Prods’ Jason Blum will produce the film with Hasbro, Chu and Scooter Braun, the music talent manager who reps Justin Bieber and runs Raymond-Braun Media Group with Usher.

The trio announced their involvement in the project on Thursday via an online video on Tumblr. In the video and site, the producers ask fans for help in the creative process

Chu most recently directed “G.I. Joe: Retaliation,” but has created a nice niche for himself for directing dance pics like the “Step Up” series and Bieber’s “Never Say Never.”

Ryan Landels penned the script for the “Jem and the Holograms” film, which will begin production this spring.

Project will reimagine Jem for a hyperlinked social media age, the producers say, and revolve around an orphaned teenage girl who becomes an online recording sensation, she and her sisters embark on a music-driven scavenger hunt –- one that sends them on an adventure across Los Angeles in an attempt to unlock a final message left by her father.

Episodes of the series have been airing on kids channel The Hub.

1. Jonathan says:

Stay true to the story, don’t give Jem things that are not in the original series like “personality” Jem was and still is a woman of personality, passion, and music. Stay true to her outfits that’s what’s 80’s is all about. Please don’t ruin a good series thank you

2. Nic Mercy says:

Without Christy Marx involved, this movie won’t be a Jem movie. It may or may not be a good film… but you can’t have an authentic Jem story without Christy Marx involved. Hopefully fan outcry at Christy being shut out of the production will force Hasbro’s hand to insist she play a part as a consultant at the very least. Otherwise you just aren’t making a Jem movie. You might call it Jem… the character names might be the same… but it won’t FEEL right if the woman who created Jem and the Holograms has no input into the project.

3. Alex says:

Really disappointed with this. I might watch it just because but it already looks really poor since it’s directed by nothing but men and they’re only keeping the names. The great thing about Jem was the fashion, and putting it up to date would ruin that imo. Why does Jem need to be a teen? Is it just a default age for movie dudes? Is 25 too old for them? But I have to say, if they make all of the characters white the movie is instantly garbage.

• Nane says:

I so agree with you! Even as a kid I never was able to see Jerrica/Jem as a teenager… I always thought they were much closer to 30 than to 20! In my mind they were women since they took care of little girls and the whole orphanage. Even nowadays, a teen wouldn’t be able to do that… excuse me, but it’s true. Already smelling the BS coming out of movie theaters and poor reviews pouring! Well… giving a project like this to the man who directed “G.I. Joe” is in itself a major stab in the integrity behind the creative aspect of Jem… Is Mr Chu great at directing dance sequences? Okay… so keep on doing that. He should get a clue from another director, Mr. Joseph Kahn (coincidently also Asian-American), who is a great music video director and tried making movies in Hollywood in the past, but went back to his specialty: the aforementioned music video business. What I hate the most is that the creative minds behind the live action movie has NO connection to the real team behind the cartoon and most of the decisions are probably being made solely based on money and profits. So sad! A Jem movie is supposed to please teens but more than anything it gotta please adults who grew up watching it. If it’s good, surely kids will be running to see it as well. But here we go with the man who pleased the “Never Say Never” tribe. Oh my…

4. Now this should be interesting! I got to know the cartoon from the web,saw every episode and it is a pretty cool classic cartoon with some good old 80’s style music! I hope they do get some good people for this!.

5. flloyd says:

Who are those 3 douche bags. This seems super gross. Those assholes are gonna ruin it. I’m really turned off already.

6. Kelly Ford says:

This is so cool!! I sang many if the Jem Jingles and was the singing voice of Ashley from Ashley and the Starlights on several episodes in the 80’s.
    It will be interesting to see a new & modern Jem!

7. 34 years old and I used to watch Jem every Saturday morning as a kid. Still watch it on the Hub :) I will watch the movie. Bring it on :)

8. Heather says:

If you have a cool MOM?!? I am 28 years old have no children and I know who Jem is. I had a doll when I was younger. The Jem crowd is in their late 20s early 30s. You made us sound like we are old. But I am very happy about this. Just stay true to the cartoon. Including PINK HAIR!

9. ABSOULETY WONDERFUL and TOTALY OUTRAGEOUS !!!! I Just may get my face on and try it :D

10. Sarah says:

I watched it too, but… Seriously?! I think a movie is going to far. Talk about reaching & desperation to make a movie! Bad call!

11. Graham says:

I, for one, am happy it won’t be set in the 80s (I don’t trust film makers not to turn the 80s into a parody) and the synopsis looks pretty tight to the origin story – so long as that is just the first 45 minutes of a two hour movie. Jerrica was indeed an orphan, she did indeed go on a scavenger hunt (of sorts) in that first episode. But there needs to be a Battle of The Bands in the film, for certain. I’d also like to see some reinterpretation of the classic songs and I literally can not wait to see a live action Synergy. Nervous and excited this morning for sure!

12. Hilary says:

NOOOOOOO WHYYYYYY?!?!?! SOMEONE STOP THEM!!! They might as well threaten to blow up the moon. It would be equally ridiculous. When I was told about this i was so excited! Then It dawned on me that it’ll probably consist of singing dancing Kirsten Stewarts and lack all 80s paraphernalia.

13. Michael says:

Jason Blum is a hack. He has made his cash off of found footage movie tripe. Prepare yourself for disappointment.

14. Darcy says:

All I have to say is the Misfits better be in this or there will be hell to pay!

• Lila Fowler says:

Although maybe they can retain their dignity and not be in it. Think about it for a minute. Would the Misfits really want to be associated with Justin Beiber or a teenage scavenger hunt?

15. Bad Idea Jack says:

This is pretty much horrible. No one wants a great vintage cartoon managed, and directed by people who work with Justin Bieber. For one thing, the target audience does not involve 13 year old girls, so I am sure this is beyond their capabilities. Also, Jem as a teenager just sucks, and that the other members are her actual sisters that go on a freaking scavenger hunt? So what, we won’t get to see Synergy until the end? Why does Hollywood continue to take something that is already good and just turn it into crap? What a sh*tty way to revitalize the franchise, don’t appeal to the newer generation, just make the older fans happy, FOR ONCE.

• jmc says:

The Misfits wouldn’t “want” anything. They are fictious characters from a cartoon show. That’s about as stupid as someone saying “Wonder Womqn is an amazon, she would never want to be portrayed by a comic book run by MEN”.

• Morgan Cherney says:

1. So ANYONE who works with Bieber INSTANTLY loses street cred? Don’t get me wrong, i’m not a Bieber fan, but it at least gives Chu experience in working on music-based films.
      2. “the target audience does not involve 13 year old girls” ……………………you CAN’T be serious. Are we thinking of the same franchise? Who do you THINK Jem was originally aimed at??
      3. While i agree that the Holograms shouldn’t all be her sisters (Kimber excepted), why CAN’T Jem be a teenager? She could easily be 17 or 18.
      4. So they should aim ONLY to appeal 80s nostalgia fans? They should ONLY try to appease YOU?…..That’s selfishness in a nuttshell. That’s the equivalent of saying “get off my lawn, you blasted kids!” I’m nostalgic to 80s stuff myself, but i’m also open to re-interpretation. You might as well be doing this: http://youtu.be/5AvrBFlJeMs?t=3s

16. So the only thing they’re keeping is the names. Awesome. Thanks for giving me nothing to look forward to.

17. Mick says:

Sucking all the 80’s out of it will effectively remove all of the humor and almost garauntee it to fail.

• jmc says:

To all you idiots who keep saying “all they are keeping is the names”, I think perhaps you should learn to read. This movie is pretty much an updated and slighly matured version of the first two-hour pilot. In that episode, Jerrica DOES go on a musical sort of scavenger hunt, after she recieves the earrings. Synergy guides her to her location in the abandoned drive in theatre, where her computer form is hidden away, and the fun begins. As far as e eryone bitching that it won’t be set in the 80s– you DO realize that this is part of what killed jem as a franchise, right? The 80s were campy AT BEST, and trying to keep Jem locked in the 80s is a horrible idea. As the 80s faded, so did Jem. What they should do is create modernized versions of the outfits, hairstyles, and fashion concepts. Adding in the idea of jem in a society of social media is EPIC. And bitching that there are “no women” on board is lame. Just because there are no women on board helping to create this movie is just as stupid as complaining if there IS a woman involved in movies like GI Joe, or Transformers. As long as they keep to the story, and work hard to capture the emotion and beauty of the show, this will be great. Women are NOT the only ones capable of doing this. I will admit I would love for them to have asked Christy Marx on board, but I’m not going to bitch and moan just because she wasn’t. And Jerrica’s age was never actually revealed on the show. So she could EASILY be a 18-19 year-old girl. All this bitching and moaning is the same bullshit I’ve heard over the recently re-released/recreated doll line. Get over yourselves, stop obsessing over the past, and let Jem enter a new Era!! If she is going to succeed in a new time and cultural era, she HAS to be updated. Modernized. If they just redid the cartoon as a live action movie, do you know how BAD that would be for the franchise??? Do you seriously want people to come out of the theatre LAUGHING at how epically BAD the movie was??? C’mon…..Think before you post.

18. Mia Carla says:

Thank you for making This. I hope it will translate well to a new generation. Jem influenced me in so many ways to love diversity, music, art and more. I cannot wait to see what your production team does and how they interpret it on screen.

19. Kris Lee says:

I can see it now. “Jem and the Holograms” starring Demi Levato, or if they can’t get her some teen on the disney channel.

20. Realize that this is the same guy that directed Justin Beiber’s films, and is a huge fan of his. Not only that, but there will not be anything 80s in this. In fact I would say they are going to produce a Hanna Montana movie out of Jem characters. Modernizing it, and taking it out of the 80s is a disgrace, and frankly the hard core Jem community will not tolerate that. There is nothing wrong with the 80s, but there is EVERYTHING wrong with it being removed from our generation. Shame on Hasbro!

21. WOW!!! Waiting for long time. introduced my girls to JEM in early 80’s. So Pretty Excited. Idea to Play Synergy Katherine Zeta Jones. Kimber Julianne Hough ‘, Piazz Christine Aquielera, Jem Brittany Spears. Just to name a few off the top of my Head,

22. Alex Rae says:

Actually, my partner and I had been developing the Jem story for over a year and we already have cast, crew, and a script that is copyrighted with the original story condensed into film. My partner contacted Mr. Chu a year ago asking him to direct our film, but he never responded to him. Then this happens after we asked him to direct our Jem film.

• Bad Idea Jack says:

You don’t deserve nice things in life because you actually asked Chu to be involved. IN CASE YOU THOUGHT OTHERWISE.

• aj93 says:

I hate that we made that decision…but we found someone way better to direct this. If we knew any better, Chu wouldn’t have been contacted at all. But look, the script is what matters most…the storyline. His story line sucks. That story isn’t our story. We have one that actually has value, and remains loyal to the show and fans.

23. hahaha this is going to get me so much flack….

• Somehow, i don’t think you went through the proper channels. You wouldn’t get your cast and crew together, write a script, and THEN ask Mr. Chu to DIRECT. You would FIRST approach the copyright/trademark holders, and submit a script to them, and they would decide if they wanted to hire their own cast and crew to play whomever. You don’t even seem to know much about how the process works.

24. LOL says:

I hope this will be like a new Showgirls.

25. Bummed says:

ugh – Jem in the 21st century? no way! this needs to be set back in the 80s – early 90s at the outside. this can’t end well. Showtime, Synergy!

26. larrieking says:

This is not the treatment I hoped for. :-/ Why can’t it be set in the 80s?