Jennifer Lawrence’s ‘Glass Castle’ Gains Momentum at Lionsgate

Jennifer Lawrence
Rindoff/Dufour/French Select/Getty Images

Lionsgate’s “The Glass Castle,” starring Jennifer Lawrence, is gaining momentum after two years in development.

The studio is in negotiations with a “major” actor for the drama, CEO Jon Feltheimer disclosed during the company’s conference call with analysts Friday as part of a discussion about upcoming projects.

Destin Cretton, director of “Short Term 12,” was attached a year ago to direct and rewrite the script with Andrew Lanham. Marti Noxon wrote the first draft of the adaptation of Jeannette Walls’ 2005 bestselling memoir.

The story follows a young girl raised in dysfunctional family with an eccentric artist mother and an alcoholic father. Lawrence is producing with Gil Netter.

Lawrence has been a key figure in Lionsgate’s success, with her first two “Hunger Games” films grossing over $1.6 billion worldwide and two impending “Mockingjay” sequels slated for November 2014 and 2015. Feltheimer said Friday that “Mockingjay – Part 1” should outperform “Catching Fire,” which grossed $865 million worldwide.

She’s also attached to the studio’s historical project “Burial Rites,” with “Hunger Games” helmer Gary Ross attached to direct.

1. mysweetlord says:

Foresee an almost impossible challenge casting this film, as Jeanette Walls is two years old in the beginning of the book and seventeen when she leaves Welch for New York City. And though Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing, beautiful , Academy Award winning actress, I don’t see what role she will play in this film .

2. mysweetlord says:

It is an amazing story, might make a better mini series than a two hour movie, to preserve this wealth of material, would love to read the script.

3. Lionsgate has really shown that merging with summit was their plan for world domination and it worked. I like that…they can help me cast and produce my novel to script .. any day. Jennifer Lawrence has proven to have staying power as well. Brilliant actress !

4. laura says:

Jennifer Lawrence has always been an amazing actress. Her first starring film role in Poker House is memorizing.

5. libran says:

jannie love u

6. sekweyama ben kenneth says:

my hottest actress in Hollywood

7. akash says:

yesterday watched Winters Bone , her acting was beyond reel , there was time i thought its happening for real ,,,,,,, but movie ends and i was like wow , that ‘s a a real women should be ,,,,,,waiting to watch this one as soon as it comes in theater

8. She is trully a great actress I’v seen all her films from Winter’s Bone on.Her range is fantastic and the best is yet to come as she matures.She truly stands out without all the nonsense.Started at 14 with no acting experience ,a natural and pretty as well.Hope she doen’t go down any dark roads,a natural talent.

9. G says:

Is she actually gonna plain the main role too or is she only co producing it?

• Melanie says:

ugh it even says in the article Glass Castle starring Jennifer Lawrence.she’s in the movie and producing it tho.

I’m very excited for this project too,Jennifer is an amazing actress,love all her movies

10. Michelle says:

Finally more information about Glass Castle! I’m so excited to watch this movie, Jennifer is just an awesome actress and my favorite and now she tries to co-produce a movie. Wow♥
    And I hope everything will work with Burial Rites. The book is great! :)

11. Lucas Silva says:

Any movie that has Jennifer interests me. I think she’s awesome, and has made great choices.

12. Elena says:

I love her so much.she’s just brilliant

• A z khan says:

I fully agree she is extraordinary talents reminds us the old histronics roles of susan hayward ,and myrlin streepe ,she will climb to great ladders only if she works in selective scripts not skin loaded but message and drama loaded .

• G says:

lol Myrlin streepe? do you mean Meryl streep? While I do agree that Jennifer is talented, I don’t understand how someone could claim to recognize that when they compare Jennifer to the best actress ever yet don’t even know her name. This just goes to show that you probably haven’t even seen one of Meryl’s movies. Also you clearly have no Idea what histrionic means…it means overly exaggerated. So basically using that word for an actor is not a compliment