Japan’s Toho to Produce New ‘Godzilla’ Movie

60 Years of Godzilla

TOKYO — Ten years after “Godzilla: Final Wars,” the last Toho Godzilla movie, trampled across the screen, the Japanese studio is gearing up to make another film featuring its iconic character.

The movie is scheduled to begin production in the summer of 2015 and bow theatrically in 2016, Toho sources have revealed. Details, including director and cast, have yet to be announced.

The inspiration is the success of Gareth Edward’s 2014 “Godzilla,” which earned $525 million worldwide and JPY3.2 billion ($26 million) in Japan, with Toho and Warner Bros. Japan co-distributing.

Toho has launched what it calls the Godzilla Strategic Conference (Godzi-Con), a committee of studio executives and directors whose aim is to reboot the Godzilla brand, including the new “Godzilla” pic.

The head of the new Godzilla project, veteran producer Taichi Ueda, told the press that, though Toho will not spend the $200 million reportedly lavished on the American “Godzilla,” “The time has come for Japan to make a film that will not lose to Hollywood.” Ueda added that Toho hopes to make Godzilla a character that “will represent Japan and be loved around the world” by the time of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

As part of its effort to reacquaint a new generation of Japanese with the country’s signature monster, Toho plans to erect a giant Godzilla statue in its Toho Cinemas Shinjuku theater by April of next year.

Meanwhile, Edwards has been signed to make “Godzilla 2,” which is set for a June 8, 2018, bow, with Legendary and Warner Bros. again co-producing.

The 28th Godzilla pic since Ishiro Honda’s first in 1954, Ryuhei Kitamura’s “Godzilla: Final Wars” earned a disappointing $12 million following its 2004 release, prompting Toho to put the character into cold storage.

1. Hari Krishnan says:

No wonder Godzilla 2014 was a great hit. But the movie have been even better if the Godzilla scenes were bright instead of being dark.

2. vosche says:

I’m glad there will be another movie made by the company that invented the Godzilla branding. Its not about graphics or rubber suits..its about environmentalism and always has been. I think this is a great way to get the message out to every generation when it comes to taking care of our planet. Mothra is love, Godzilla is Strength, Ghidorah (pronounced Giddra) is fire, Rodan (pronounced Rod-ann) is air and the list goes on. Get over the fight about CGI vs Suit acting because Suit Acting is what CGI is built on. Don’t lose the message of taking care of the planet!

3. Joe says:

Who cares if we see another fake Godzilla suit actor crashing a fake looking plastic set. Godzilla 2014 showed that CGI is the way to go.

4. Only if they get Aaron Taylor-Johnson would be cast in this reboot of toho. Because he did very fine job in Godzilla 2014 and I love his black outfit too that I found on Celebsclothing.

5. lordkayoss says:

Does Japan actually refer to him as “Godzilla” now, or is he still “Gojira” there?

6. Eddie frank says:

i hope this gets dubbed by toho international like the other movies

7. Had to watch “Godzilla: Final Wars,” to see what’s up. No wonder they quit making them.
    Worst Godzilla ever. Hopefully Hollywood will make the Japanese step up their game.

• What I want to say to you, I can’t…, but I WILL say that I thought Final Wars was a great movie. It had a Japanese David Bowie, Don Frye as Fat M.Bison, Power Rangers, ‘Zilla getting his tuna roasted by Big G, himself, Super Saiyans, Mecha-Gigan and Mecha-King Ghidorah. The list goes on, but this is enough for me… why you see fit to whine about a little bad acting and bad writing is beyond me. I assume you don’t like most Godzilla films if that much bothers you.

8. Bennn says:

Godzilla is the King of Monsters, he doesn’t make bad movies. He just works around people who aren’t as good as he is.

9. When Godzilla debut in the USA format,The writer forget the reason why Godzilla was a hit in the first place. It is action all the way and leave the subplot out of it.

• No. Roland Emmerich actually just didn’t like Godzilla, from what very little he already knew (and the little less he assumed he knew). He took the role because it was the biggest pay-day he’d ever have/get and was his chance to market himself to the full mainstream audience.

Hate him yet? Good. He deserves it.

10. blackconvoy says:

Hahaha, they want a movie that doesn’t come in 2nd place to a Hollywood movie and is loved by the international community. That’s funny and isn’t happening. And there’s no hate there. Drama and crime action, no problem. When they start getting into special effects movies though, that’s where the issue comes into play.

• You say that, and yet WE went to THEM, TWO-TIMES, for a character so beloved and iconic that even the horrible acting of Matthew Broderick and that blonde air-head no one remembers along with terrible script writing and that imposter posing as the King could sink world-wide love for Godzilla. They can do it. They won’t sink 200m to do it, but they may not have to. I doubt they pay their employees the same rates we pay ours, so it’s a legitimate possibility… if they take a few queues from our new Big G.

1) Fight scenes have to be faster than what we see when they’re done by two people in rubber suits.

2) Godzillas atomic breath incinerating that giant monster from the throat down was the most awesome thing I’ve scene in a Godzilla movie, since the King, himself.

3) Lore is important. Try to stay consistent.

• blackconvoy says:

Oh I am very consistent. It’s been 10 years since a Godzilla movie has been made. In that time, Japan has produced plenty of other sci-fi action movies, that come in 2nd place to Hollywood blockbusters. Now maybe they were just talking about Godzilla, but I took it as movies of this genre in general. I watched Space Battleship Yamato and Gatchaman, which I very much enjoyed. I also have Versus and Azumi on DVD. I love those movies. But they have one thing in common. They’re very cheesy, and the special effects looks like they could have used a few more months in post production, or more money.

I’m not saying that Godzilla isn’t an icon. There is a reason why we went to them two times. BUT, other than the 98 screw up, and the last movie, when was the last time Godzilla was in a movie theater over here? Godzilla 85? While an icon, the movies are cheesy and can not compete over here. They’re made with a cheesiness that sits well with the Japanese audience, and only sits well with fans outside of Japan. My mom grew up watching Godzilla movies, but she couldn’t sit through Godzilla vs Destroyah.

11. Reblogged this on misanthrobotic and commented:
    Since the 50th anniversary Final Wars, Toho has been saying the big G was going to be taking a 10 year break. Excluding last summer’s Gareth Edaward’s film, they’re right on track. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I really liked Final Wars and was saddened to hear of the decade long break. I’m very excited that it’s finally over.

• You’re not alone. I agree. While I don’t know the specifics of why they took the hiatus, I assume it had to do with re-evaluating their approach to Godzilla movies and to give him a chance to be missed by audiences.

Now, I remember reading, a few years back, that the new ‘Merican Godzilla movie was originally a plan by a Japanese director (Had nothing to do with anyone or anything in the West) to pit Godzilla against Gamera. The studio was going to go with it, but had to go overseas for funding where legendary offered them a deal that excluded the other Big G.

As much as my heart breaks over THAT match-up not happening, I believe it will eventually…

It must…

That’d be like Paquiao vs. Mayweather never happening…

12. stevenmillan says:

8) 8) For all we know,Godzilla could be facing fully giant sized versions of either the creature from ALIEN or CM Punk.

13. George Ebersole says:

A real Gojira film. Ho baby! :)

14. I am glad that there will be another Godzilla real soon. I hope that Mothra will appear in the new film.