James Cameron Prevails Again in ‘Avatar’ Plagiarism Suit

James Cameron

Third plagiarism suit tossed within a year

Director James Cameron has prevailed in another “Avatar” plagiarism suit with a Maryland judge tossing out the action.

The suit by Bryant Moore claimed that Cameron had used his screenplays and drawings to create the 2009 blockbuster.

U.S. District court Judge Roger Titus granted Cameron’s motion for summary judgment last week. The jurist found there was no evidence to suggest that Cameron had access to Moore’s works or that Cameron used anything of Moore’s in creating “Avatar.”

It was the third such case to be dismissed in the past year with separate claims brought by Gerald Marowski and by Eric Ryder dismissed on the basis Cameron independently created “Avatar.”

“Sadly, a cottage industry has arisen of fortune hunting plaintiffs seeking to ‘strike it rich’ by claiming their ideas were the basis for ‘Avatar,'” Cameron said. “As I have previously stated, ‘Avatar’ was my most personal film, drawing upon themes and concepts that I had been exploring for decades. Our film was also the product of a team of some of the world’s most creative artists and designers, and it is an insult to all of them when these specious claims are made.”

“I am grateful that Judge Titus and the other jurists who have dealt with these cases have recognized the complete lack of merit of these offensive lawsuits.”

Cameron announced last month that he will make his next three “Avatar” films for 20th Century Fox in New Zealand.  He expects the films to be released on the previously announced dates of December 2016, December 2017 and December 2018.

1. big daddy D says:

Understandably without kevin costner. Lol. Have to catch Dark Fury soon. Thandie Newton was a bitch on wheels. Easily one of the biggest villains. The way she manipulated Varo? Yep..she needed to get her clock cleaned.

2. John Shea says:

But isn’t ‘AVATAR’ a bit like Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Martian stories? Maybe somebody should film them. Disney maybe. Starting with ‘JOHN CARTER OF MARS’. They could cast Taylor Kitsch as John Carter. Oh, wait…

• big daddy D says:

I could be wrong, though

• John Shea says:

I haven’t watched ‘RIDDICK’ yet, though I bought the DVD and also the DVD set of the earlier 2.5 movies (including the short ‘DARK FURY’). I was surprised when even Thandy Newton slated ‘CHRONICLES’ as I thought she was excellent as a sort of intergalactic Lady Macbeth.

A water world AVATAR? Presumably without Kevin Costner…

• Big Daddy D says:

Chronicles wasn’t half bad..didn’t see Riddick. Was it any good? The gf has it in our “to watch” collection. Same with all the Avatar sequels as well. I heard thatthat the next one will be a water world.

• John Shea says:

Yes. A sequel would have clarified things more. Unthinkable now, perhaps. But who expected ‘THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK’ to get a sequel?

• big daddy D says:

I think oeople got confused with the body switching to different planets thing…and Mark strong’s character..that whole overlord/power behind the throne race..I wasn’t buying them.

• John Shea says:

I actually enjoyed ‘JOHN CARTER’, Big Daddy D, as did millions, but not quite enough millions, it seems, given its huge cost. Omitting the ‘…OF MARS’ part of the original title didn’t help. People found it hard to simply figure out what the movie was about.

• big daddy D says:

Lol! John Carter wasn’t THAT bad..not an epic, but certainly not an epic failure either.