James Brown Biopic ‘Get on Up’ Gets First Trailer

Chadwick Boseman James Brown
Michael Tran/FilmMagic

Universal is promising plenty of funk, singing, dancing and pathos with the first trailer for “Get on Up,” the James Brown biopic set for U.S. release on Aug. 1.

“42” star Chadwick Boseman (pictured) portrays the Godfather of Soul in the film that recounts his impoverished childhood, time in prison and ascendancy to super-stardom. The story also follows Brown’s mother, played by Viola Davis, who abandoned him at age 6, and his aunt (played by Octavia Spencer), who raised him in a brothel.

“What have you heard is only the beginning,” the trailer promises.

Brian Grazer and Erica Huggins are producing for Imagine Entertainment, while Mick Jagger and Victoria Pearman are producing under their Jagged Films banner.

1. That is a good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very accurate info… Appreciate your sharing this one.
    A must read article!

2. It’s going to be ending of mine day, however before ending I am
    reading this fantastic post to increase my experience.

3. Eric White says:

lol. check out my youtube video review on this trailer. I look forward to the movie.

4. FilmNoise says:

James Brown via The Disney Chanel

5. Phillip says:

Chadwick Boseman is a very good young actor but for those of us that remember Brown, it will be extremely difficult to overlook the difference in height. His diminutive size and 4″ pumps were a very significant part of his persona. I really can’t understand why they would cast a 6-foot actor in the role.

6. michael says:

I can’t wait to see first of many movies about the godfather of soul I hope.

7. LOL says:

This looks terrible. Should have made it in the style of Oliver Stone’s The Doors rather than a safe studio commissioned puff-piece.

8. MLK says:

@Adolf H: So Hollywood should only make movies about white folks? Like they have for the last 100 years? LMAO. Welcome to hell, Adolf. You and your ilk are a dying breed. It’s just a matter of time.

9. Betty Clinton says:

Can’t wait to see it !!!!

10. Londue Williams says:

Hey I got to go see this thang here. Only thing I see that ain’t right is that the cat playing James seems too tall. HEY Good God.

11. benny speeg says:

I’m going……trailer shows great cinematography, can enjoy one more millionth time the great music of Brown (ok, NO ONE can dance like him…thankful for the real deal footage we all can enjoy) and appreciate his legend. Bad boy makes good is the working title.