Guillermo del Toro on ‘Hellboy 3’: ‘I Don’t Think It Will Happen’

Guillermo del Toro No Hellboy 3

Although both Guillermo del Toro and Ron Perlman are interested in a sequel, it looks like “Hellboy 3” is nothing more than a pipe dream.

The famed director admitted during a Reddit AMA on Friday that the sci-fi superhero pic won’t live to see another installment as it has no studio backing.

“Creatively, I would love to make it. Creatively,” he stressed. “But it is proven almost impossible to finance. Not from MY side, but from the studio side. If I was a multimillionaire, I would finance it myself, but I spend all my money on rubber monsters.”

“Hellboy II: The Golden Army” earned $76 million — about $10 million less than its production budget — Stateside in 2008, while “Hellboy” was about $6 million shy of matching its $66 million budget. However, “Hellboy II” went on to double its earnings worldwide.

Del Toro even has a plot in mind for the closer to the franchise, which launched in 2004. The pic would follow our favorite superhero demon as he finally became the beast of the Apocalypse.

“Well, you know, we don’t have that movie on the horizon, but the idea for it was to have Hellboy finally come to terms with the fact that his destiny, his inevitable destiny, is to become the beast of the Apocalypse, and having him and Liz face the sort of, that part of his nature, and he has to do it, in order to be able to ironically vanquish the foe that he has to face in the 3rd film,” he said. “He has to become the best of the Apocalypse to be able to defend humanity, but at the same time he becomes a much darker being. It’s a very interesting ending to the series, but I don’t think it will happen.”

For now, del Toro is keeping busy with a “Pacific Rim” sequel, his thriller “Crimson Peak” and new FX show “The Strain,” which premieres this Sunday.

1. Duder NME says:

Just have a film about a Jaeger vs. the Beast of the Apocalypse.

2. hanshotfirst1138 says:

I hear the first two movies became cult faves on video, but that didn’t help the second, and given the GDT has never been the hottest commercial property, I sadly think we can rule out a third :(, especially with the home video market in the toilet.

3. Calvin Heikkila says:

Just taking a stab here based off what I’ve read.

The biggest issue with a third movie is that the first two cleaned up big time with their DVD sales. However, with the recent decline in dvd/blu ray sales, that $$ is not a guarantee. The only thing that could guarantee a Hellboy 3 is if Ron Perlman had a box office smash or critically acclaimed performance that he could leverage into getting Hellboy 3 financed… same for Del Toro.

• JoelR says:

Just to correct, it is DVD sales that are declining, not Blu-Ray. “Last year, about 124 million Blu-ray discs were sold in the U.S., a 4.2% increase over 2012, according to IHS Technology. DVD sales, which have been plummeting for years, dropped 13.6% last year”.

4. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. billie says:

this is what disgusts me about Universal.
    They were willing to make that Awful R.I.P.D movie that flopped.
    They were willing to do that Awful THE THING Prequel that totally flopped.
    Now they made that Dracula Untold movie that looks awful as well.
    BUT NO HELLBOY 3???? what the hell seriously!!!!! What the HELL UNIVERSAL?

• tom spud says:

100% correct dude! Because the film industry hasn’t a clue these days. They churn out nothing but shit and piss upon every decent franchise that has ever existed. I wish I could see the faces of the people who makes the decisions that they make. In every industry in the world it’s the arse lickers and yes men that get promoted and put in charge and the people with common creative sense who aren’t only thinking about saving money or making millions of dollars/pounds that get over looked!!!

6. JoelR says:

I’d prefer HELLBOY 3 over another rock ’em-sock ’em robot movie (which has reached its apex in cinema, if you also take into account IRON MAN flicks, MAN OF STEEL, ROBOCOP, TF, AVENGERS, etc. etc.)