‘Goonies’ Sequel May Finally Be in the Works

Goonies

It must be true that Goonies never say “die.”

After years of anticipation, “The Goonies” sequel may finally be in the works.

Director Richard Donner told TMZ that he plans to bring back the entire original cast for the follow-up to his 1986 cult classic.

Asked if he was going to make another comic book movie, the filmmaker said, “If you call ‘Goonies’ a comic book. We’re doing a sequel.”

Corey Feldman, Josh Brolin, Sean Astin, Jeff Cohen and Martha Plimpton starred in the adventure comedy. Donner didn’t mention whether the film will follow the gang 28 years later or feature them in cameo roles.

While promoting “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” last year, Astin told IGN that he was absolutely positive that a sequel would be shot. Sequel buzz has only amplified since then.

“It will happen,” he said. “I’m 1000 percent certain there will be a sequel. I will bet my children on it.”

1. Tim Boone says:

Nice I can’t wait! the Goonies was one of my very favorite movies as a kid, and I was so dissapointed a year or two ago when it was announced that this probably won’t happen..I really hope the original cast doesn’t just do cameos, it would be nice to see them either engaged in an adventure with their own kids, or have the story cut back and forth between their kids on some type of adventure and the grown up Goonies going after them to rescue them or something to that nature..Whatever it is, I’m really hoping the original cast does much more than cameos, and I hope this has a good budget and they go on a fun adventure in the spirit of the original(which I’m sure they will, of course)..
    Man, I really look forward to this seeing Brolin, Astin, Feldman, and Jonathan Ke Quan together again(and of course Jeff Cohen as ‘Chunk’),and Plimpton and Green as well, but I’m also really hoping they bring back Joe Patoliano and Robert Davi as the Fertelli brothers, this would be awesome!

2. Doug says:

Hopefully this was idealistic talk and this never really pans out. Some great things are left alone and not revisited 20 some years later. I cite Indiana Jones 4.

On top of which, the spirit of a sequel with the same cast wouldn’t be nearly the same. They would be capable adults, less naive, and with GPS on their phones, who needs treasure maps and doubloons? They would have families with children and would really have no motivation to band together for some adventure in modern times.

If they insist on making a new Goonies, they should recast it with new kids (and let them talk like real kids talk, instead of PGing it to death). Then they at least have childhood naivety to work with.

3. Christena Jones says:

yeah Im not sure how i feel about this one! It’s kinda like redoing The Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles. I will be interested to see how it turns out. My daughter on the other hand is freaked and cant wait.

4. Lexi Menichelli says:

I remember that movie. I was just a kid back then.

5. Brian says:

Will never be as good without my late cuz as Sloth.

• Armin Tanzerian says:

I’ve always thought that the the death of Sloth’s character would serve as impetus to bring the ‘kids’ back to Astoria (for the funeral). It’d serve both as a nice farewell to John as well as serve the plot.

6. Lgavanbutler says:

I say go for it! The basis of the movie was friendship. Friendship among the most awkward but honest people. In this day and age it would be nice to see them get back together as the successful lawyer, the X druggie, etc and make a film about how no matter how much time has passed, the bond of friendship remains against all odds when reunited for a good cause.

7. Jenni says:

NO!!!!! Not every movie needs a sequel, let it remain what it is, a classic

8. 2W2N says:

`The Goonies’ came out in 1985, guys, not 1986.

9. jess says:

They are forgetting about the red head Kerri Green. She was in it too

10. ColinC says:

Good I can wait to see “Everything wrong with “Goonies 2” by cinemasins.

11. karen cole says:

ha-ha, LOVE your “try decaf, its probably less bitter”, Matt!

12. This sound inexpressibly depressing. I will enjoy comparing how ruggedly successful Josh Brolin looks these says, all tan and teeth, with the collapsing angry tweaker that Corey Feldman is now. I wonder if Chunk will give up his successful law practice and put on sixty pounds to take part in this embarrassing charade?

They were KIDS that was the POINT.

NOT adults: KIDS.

Why doesn’t someone like HBO do something useful and make a proper faithful adaptation of Stephen King’s IT?

• Matt Hydeman says:

Did you even read the story? Donner said he wasn’t sure if the originals were going to be the leads or in cameo roles. Chill the hell out until more information is known. And try decaf, it’s probably less bitter than you are..

13. John Shea says:

Great! The cast sounded as exuberant as ever in the audio commentary on the twentieth (or was it twenty-fifth?) anniversary DVD.