‘Frozen’ Director Jennifer Lee to Adapt ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ for Disney (EXCLUSIVE)

Jennifer Lee, who wrote, and co-directed “Frozen” with Chris Buck, has chosen her next project: “A Wrinkle in Time.”

Lee will write the bigscreen adaptation of Madeleine L’Engle’s book for Disney in which children travel through time and visit strange worlds in order to find their missing scientist father.

Published in 1962, “Wrinkle in Time” was one of Lee’s favorite novels as a child, and she impressed Disney executives with her take on the project, which emphasizes a strong female-driven narrative and creatively approaches the science fiction and world-building elements of the book.

While Lee adapts “A Wrinkle in Time,” she will continue in her role as part of Walt Disney Animation’s story trust and remain active in projects in development at the division that scored with “Frozen” — its biggest hit ever at the box office with nearly $1.3 billion — and has “Big Hero 6,” based on a Marvel property, out Nov. 7.

There is no director yet attached to “A Wrinkle in Time” that Jim Whitaker will produce with Catherine Hand.

Jeff Stockwell (“Bridge to Terabithia”) had initially tackled the screenplay when the project was first announced in 2010.

“A Wrinkle in Time” is the first book in L’Engle’s “Time Quartet” series that also includes “A Wind in the Door,” “Many Waters,” and “A Swiftly Tilting Planet.”

Whitaker most recently produced Disney’s “The Odd Life of Timothy Green.” His credits also include “American Gangster” and “Robin Hood.” Hand already had produced a “Wrinkle in Time” TV movie for ABC that aired in 2003.

Lee, who also co-wrote Disney’s “Wreck-It Ralph,” is repped by CAA and Code Entertainment.

1. Wrong! It is a quintet. The fifth book is titled An Acceptable Time.

2. Ashley says:

I love the books ad I still have them hoping my kids in the future will read them. The old movie was not exciting though but I can’t wait to see the new one coming out. It has been wonderful reading them ten and now. I hope the movie will be a hit!

3. Erin says:

I remember the way that this book blew my mind as a child, and I can’t wait to see this adaptation! I can’t believe all these negative comments–it’s just a movie. A Disney production will help renew interest in this amazing work.

4. Kristi says:

No. Absolutely not. A Wrinkle in Time is not meant for milquetoast happy ending Disney bullshit. I hope anyone with any love of the books agree. And how anyone who professes to love the books would subject to Disney treatment is absolutely beyond me.

5. RD says:

It seemed very much like Frozen was written with every intention of seeing it on Broadway at some point in the future. I felt that the delivery reflected that too strongly and too often. I sincerely hope that no hint of that notion makes it to this new movie. It would be in terrible taste to treat such a revered story in such a crass and obvious way.

6. Vi says:

After Frozen and Wreck-It Ralph, Jennifer Lee can do no wrong in my book. :)

7. Chris says:

I’m annoyed that they said it’s part of the time quartet when it’s a quintet with the last book being “An Acceptable Time.”

8. K says:

This is an awful idea they are going to ruin it

9. Oh man, I’m not too sure about this! This was far and away my favorite book as a kid! I’m with the rest of you…will be waiting with trepidation, and a whole lot of hope!! Love the choice of writer, but directors and producers don’t always follow the writer’s vision and words…

10. lbaker0 says:

Please follow the book exactly! The first movie was HORRIBLE!

11. NOOOO! They’re going to ruin it!!!!

12. Dunstan says:

No doubt this will be a far better treatment of the material than the 2003 TV movie.

• Jim says:

Maybe, but I doubt it. One of the co-producers was an executive producer of the terrible 2003 adaptation. I’d love to be pleasantly surprised. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.