Fox Dates ‘Wolverine,’ ‘Fantastic Four’ Sequels and a Mystery Marvel Project

the wolverine Hugh Jackman

Twentieth Century Fox has announced the release dates for three upcoming Marvel films, including a mystery project set for summer 2018.

While filming on the first “Fantastic Four” has yet to begin, the studio will release “Fantastic Four 2” on July 14, 2017, while another “Wolverine” installment will bow March 3, 2017.

The untitled Marvel project, set for July 13, 2018, could be another “X-Men” feature or another “Fantastic Four” pic, as Fox owns the rights to both properties.

“X-Men: Days of Future Past,” co-starring Wolverine himself, Hugh Jackman, and Michael Fassbender, opens May 23.

The X-Men universe, in addition to James Cameron’s upcoming “Avatar” sequels, remains a top priority for Fox. Including the “Wolverine” standalone films, the X-Men franchise has generated over $2 billion worldwide at the box office. With upcoming action from the Avengers, Star Wars and DC’s Justice League, Fox clearly wanted to get out front on the 2017 tentpole calendar.

The studio’s first “Fantastic Four” film, starring Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell and Miles Teller, opens June 19, 2015.

Additional release dates announced: “Taken 3” will open March 4, 2016; Daniel Radcliffe’s “Frankenstein” is moving from Jan. 16, 2015, to Oct. 2, 2015 and Matthew Vaughn’s “The Secret Service” has been bumped up to Oct. 24, 2014.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 12

Leave a Reply

12 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Marcus L says:

    FOX’s “Fantastic Four” reboot is a train wreck waiting to happen. Just a few weeks ago they were looking to replace the director and cast (both good moves) but denied it when the story got out. The cast (particularly Miles Teller) is TOO YOUNG and do not resemble their characters in the least. FOX is taking a crap on iconic characters that have been part of American culture for over 50 years. These are Marvel’s ORIGINAL heroes. They belong at Marvel Studios, where the source material will at least be respected.

  2. badlands75 says:

    Reblogged this on The Badlands and Everything After and commented:
    Fox comes out strong with news of super-hero movie scheduling, possibly in response to scurrilous rumors from this past week that had them totally scrapping their plan for the new Fantastic Four. Fox now has their slate of films set for the next 5 years. However, one major question remains: will Hugh Jackman still be around as Wolverine in 5 years?

  3. therealeverton says:

    Given that the X-Men “crossover” films appear to be on a 2 year cycle now. Days of Future past 2014 – X-Men: Apocalypse 2016, it seems likely to be another 1990s set multi cast X-Men film.Of course it could be the long awaited X-Men 4, or even the X-Force film they were thinking about.

  4. Jacques Strappe says:

    It’s unfortunate a financially struggling Marvel was forced into putting their super hero franchises out to bid to different studios prior to Disney buying Marvel Studios. It would have lent some consistency to the entire Marvel comic book universe on film and allowed for more superhero crossovers under one studio such as deep pocketed Disney owned Marvel Studios.

    • therealeverton says:

      That’s not entirely accurate. There was a deliberate strategy to get film companies to use those rights, that had been ‘leased’ with very poor ‘as long as your making films you can keep making them indefinitely’ style deals, actually used. Starting with getting Blade made, which tipped the X-Men Domino which tipped the Spider-man one and the rebirth of of Superheroes on the big screen was set. It was only that healthy environment that enabled Marvel Studios to get the money to make their own films in the first place.

      It’s a shame that the type of deals done mean that they can’t get rights back until a studio loses so much money that they don’t see any point in developing new films either at all, Ghost Rider, Hulk & Punisher; or in time to miss the deadlines Daredevil and Blade. The shame is that two of their biggest properties, Spider-man and X-Men are out, whilst Namor The Sub-Mariner being at Universal removes Atlantis from the MCU and The Fantastic 4 removes great swaths of the Cosmic pantheon, not just Silver Surfer & Galactus from play. But at least we know The Kree and the Elders are still in the MCU.

      But the main point is that if those rights hadn’t been at other studios we wouldn’t have gotten to a place where it was financially viable for Marvel Studios to make their own films anyway.

    • therealeverton says:

      The Fantastic FOur, which is really much more Ultimate Fantastic 4, is a complete restart as the first two films were so poor, not that well received and the 2nd film made less money than the first.. So no not Fantastic 44 3. :)

  5. Nicole says:

    First Fantastic Four? Wasn’t this movie done already or is this considered a reboot of a movie that is only nine years old? It would be interesting to see Captain Ameritorch!

    • johntshea says:

      Indeed! The 2015 movie is really ‘FANTASTIC FOUR 3’ and its 2017 sequel will be ‘FANTASTIC FOUR 4’ and they could call the next one ‘FANTASTIC 4 4 2’ and put an Oldsmobile in it, but probably not, unfortunately…

      • johntshea says:

        HEE-HAW! Thanks, Big Daddy D, I think, but laughing at my joke may give away one’s age, particularly for those of us old enough to remember when Oldsmobiles were Youngmobiles…

        PS I was thinking of the red coupe’ Sylvester Stallone drove in ‘DEMOLITION MAN’. After they get all the white stuff out, of course.

        PPS I only heard about Oldsmobiles from my grandfather. Thanks my story and I’m sticking to it…

      • big daddy D says:

        Lol! John..you’re an ass!

More Film News from Variety

Loading