First Look: Kristen Stewart in Drake Doremus and Scott Free Sci-Fi Romance ‘Equals’ (PHOTO)

EQUALS Kristin Stewart

Scott free Films has released the first image of the new Drake Doremus film “Equals,” starring Kristen Stewart and Nicholas Hoult.

Guy Pearce and Jacki Weaver also star.

The love story is set in the future where emotions have been eradicated, but a disease can cause them to return.

“I’m definitely not afraid of ‘feels.’ My life revolves around it actually,” Stewart said of the film’s theme at a press event in August. “Finding the balance between the head and the heart is important but I’ve always been very driven by the gut. Every thought or articulated emotion starts in shapes and colors and putting your finger on that is cool, but it’s not necessary.”

When asked whether he’d like to live in an emotionless world, Hoult said, “That obviously would be the easy way out, but no, I like to feel everything, take the highs and the lows.”

The pic bows next year.

1. Jason says:

Equals is just an unnecessary remake of of 1984 (Kristen herself made the comparison), The Giver, and Christian Bale’s Equilibrium. Most dystopian/uptopian novels and movies have a lot in common and they all go back to Orwell’s 1984 and Huxley’s Brave New World for inspiration.

But Equals is also a rip off of the novel Delirium by Lauren Oliver, in that it’s a dystopian society in year 2099 (check), people basically dead to the world or uniform (check), half-robot/human cyborg wants to have feelings/be a real boy/girl (check), world peace all around but everyone is a clone (check).

But what makes Equals even worse is that it’s more a romance than a suspense film. The producers are obviously just trying to cash in on that Twilight audience, so it’s Bella in the future with a “forbidden love.” Like Joe Roth said, he hired Stewart for SWATH simply because “she’s known for one role, Bella.”

2. z says:

Can’t wait. Like what I see so far.

3. bluebird says:

Jaw drop! Love this couple!!!

4. Ann says:

I cant wait to see it! love kristen and nicholas! :3 :3 :3

5. Reality Check says:

Of the 5 films Doremous has made, only one is Fresh on RT. That’s not great track record. He’s not known for making popular or box office hits, so I’m not sure why anyone has much faith in this movie.

The story is a badly conceived rip off of 1984. It’s already derivative, no originality. Too many youth-oriented dystopian movies this year, and this film has no book series to provide a built in audience. Neither lead is charismatic/popular enough to deliver a fanbase.

Stewart keeps getting work because they think she’ll bring the Twilight audience, but the truth is, she’s never been able to attract an audience on her own.

• guest23 says:

First of all, the film has nothing to do with 1984 and secondly its a utopian movie not a dystopian one.

“The story has been compared to ‘1984,’ but it’s not that at all,” producer Ann Ruark said during a press conference this summer in Tokyo, where some of the movie was filmed. “It’s a love story–it’s not dystopian, it’s Utopian.”

6. Dara says:

I’m here for Nathan Parker. It’s bound to be an interesting script. Stewart’s been getting good reviews lately, and I think Hoult is underrated and D Doremus is always good so I’m interested

7. kristenloved says:

I love kristen dont talk bad things about her…move on kristen yeay!!!!

8. Arysta says:

Something about Kristen Stewart in romantic roles always feels so awkward to me. I actually like her, but I feel like she should stay away from uncomfortably kissing dudes. I’m much more excited for her role as the GTMO soldier.

9. Hoa Auker says:

Can’t wait to see this movie.

10. Clarice says:

Are Puttz Fans still pressed here? I thought after the new girlfriend, they would leave Kristen alone. but it seems they have more interest in Kristen than in Pattinson. LOSERS!!!!

• Hypocrites says:

Funny, Kristen Stewart fans seem obsessed with Rob and his new girlfriend. They’re busy leaving hateful comments on her instagram and twitter.

Sad, really. They just can’t let go of him. They act like he dumped them, not her. Too bad they don’t buy tickets for her films, either. They only seem to be interested in her private life. Must be why all her indies bomb so hard.

• 123 says:

Sigh….go fight your fan-wars elsewhere….

I’m excited and can’t wait to see the locations they filmed at on-screen!

11. Guest says:

STAY PRESSED PATTINSON FANS!!!!

12. Guest says:

These nasty comments about Stewart are from Rob Pattinson fans. They live to hate her.

13. Guest says:

ROB PATTINSON HAS A NEW GIRFRIEND BUT HIS FANS ARE STILL MORE INTERESTING IN HIS EX KRISTEN STEWART!!! LOSERS!!!!!!

14. Jarred says:

Drake is one of my fav directors ever! He is one of few directors that can show the real/raw emotion of how people really act, without the cookie cutter ending. I’m not a huge fan of stewart but I will definitely watch this film because of drakes integrity.

15. Helen says:

Really like nick he’s a terrific actor , saw the young ones trailer and just wow !! Can’t wait for NYFF and Chanel clad Kristen so beautiful and wish this movie came out soon but I guess we have to wait a year

16. Renee says:

Love love love her , they are oozing chemistry like lava flowing from a mountain

17. Amy says:

This looks great and such an interesting concept. I’ve seen a couple of other films do the emotionless dystopia by having people take a drug periodically to keep their emotions at bay. But, this is a new concept. It seems society has evolved past emotion for survival’s sake. I can’t wait to see how this turns out.

18. Mia says:

The still looks fantastic! Can’t wait for the movie to come out! Love both actors and absolutely adore Drake Doremus! Really excited!

19. mom says:

poor silly fans of Rob Patz. Has been great criticsm for Clouds of Sils Maria and Still Alice. against this, not may do nothing

20. Jeff Saenger says:

Every time I go to comment on an article that has talked about Kristen Stewart and the projects she has starred in this year it is inundated with nasty comments from Robert Pattinson fans. Why is this? Are they jealous? The fact that her career is taking off and the critics are loving her performances? Very curious. I think this looks really good especially with Stewart working with Doremus. Don’t know much about Hoult.

21. James says:

While I like Nicholas Hoult and I’ve grown to appreciate Kristen Stewart, I was a little meh on this project. However, Drake is great and with Jackie, Guy, and Nathan Parker I have a feeling this will be interesting. I’m curious to see Drake’s take on Sci-Fi.

22. Coffee says:

I see all the Robsessed haters are here representing, comment sections everywhere being the troll’s pacifier. But at any rate… having seen all of Doremus’ films, really looking forward to this because it’s a bit different from what he usually does; e.g., the sci-fi setting, working off a script by Nathan Parker. Both intriguing aspects. I’m in.

• James says:

Yes, it’s pretty obvious that there is something with some of those trolls. Normally, if someone doesn’t like an actor or actress they write a few lines and move on. Some of these people are writing freaking essays and straight up saying false things about her projects.

• Dara says:

@Mi

Except those fans aren’t on here. I don’t see any hateful comments towards him on this website. Maybe you ought to leave your tweenage fandom shenigans to whatever twitter or website they are on? No on was saying anything about Pattinson on here until one of his fans came on and started trashing her. Even then, the people didn’t trash him and simply told him to move on, that he has a new gf, and more. I’m sure there are some jerks on twitter. However, that doesn’t justify coming on here and trolling a Variety article.

• Mi says:

So weird when obsessed stewart fans still hate on Robert Pattinson and commenting on his movies and especially on his private life.His new girlfriend received a racist and hateful rants from mentally unstable stewart fans.

• Coffee says:

You’re so right! It is obvious. Such a weird, nattering tone, and the pretense of seriousness regarding film when it’s really only tiresome Pattinson-obsessed hate screeds against Stewart mashed with hysterical, phony statistics. I thought his career was doing fine btw, didn’t realize the Troll Patrol was such a necessary component to Pattinson’s success. Bizarre.

23. Ben says:

Why did they not mention Nicholas Hoult’s name in the title? It’s so unappreciated! He deserve better.

24. julie says:

I am looking forward to seeing this next yr. I support Kristen Stewart.

25. juanita jordan says:

love, love, love both these actors! can’t wait for this film. drake dormus makes a single still rich with promise.

26. Shh says:

Lol J Law’s boyfriend. All he’ll ever be known for.

27. tammy says:

they do look hot together

28. Ann says:

They look hot together. Can’t wait for the movie to be released.

29. Tulip says:

Even in a still, Hoult looks like he’s putting effort into it and Stewart looks like a plank.

Yes, she lucked out, getting in a Juliette Binoche art film with a French director. But you don’t see the likes of Spielberg, David O. Russell or the Cohen Brothers leaping to work with her. She’s less than B list at them moment. She has Twilight name recognition, but she managed to tarnish even that.

She’s getting no real Oscar buzz and IFC doesn’t have the money to mount a campaign, anyway. Her glory days are over, and this trumped up remake of 1984 is going nowhere. Doremus is not the kind of director who can make this story interesting.

Neither Hoult nor Stewart has the fanbase to make this film profitable. It will flop, just like all her “acclaimed” indies. By the way, Welcome to the Rileys is Rotten on RT, along with SWATH and she has 2 Razzies for Worst Actresss. Those are the only awards she’s going to get. Too bad Univeral dumped her from the SWATH sequel and The Big Shoe fell apart on her, as so many of her projects have done. Looks like she’s out of work again and has nothing in the pipeline.

• Gem says:

Keep staying pressed, Copy/Paste Troll. Pathetic.

• Sarah says:

My question is: do you type it out fresh each time or do you have it saved somewhere and just copy and paste? I guess as often as you use the same comment on each of her articles, maybe you made a macro for it. By the way, it’s obvious who you are a fan of and you do him no favors. Trust me when I say you have an OCD-level of hatred that only comes from his fans. Normal “haters” just spout a generic insult and move on. You have a problem and should probably get help. I’m serious.

By the way, it is Coen brothers, not Cohen.

• Ann says:

can’t wait for this film! loveeee kristen :D :D :D :D

• david says:

You just showed that you are a sick and hateful being. You have insulted, put down and degraded Drake Doremus who is recignized by his peers and the industry for his creativity and stellar talents as a writer and director And you have bashed the global fan bases of Kristen and Nicholas. It is obvious that you are uninformed and narrow minded. You can’t accept the fact that Kristen continues to make movies that matter to her and has garnered high praise and accolades for the roles that she has chosen. She is offered to be part of a movie because of her acting talents and exceptional work ethics, and her collaborative skills with the cast and crew.
      Stay pressed and be ready to be disappointed because Kristen will be in this industry and continue to be relevant for a very long time.

• Sam says:

Hey Tulip, chill out. It will do you good. Enough with the infantile harassment.

To me, these cameo-like silhouettes convey fear, risk, passion, tenderness, and courage. The photo is simple, artistic and beautiful like anything we would expect from Drake Doremus. Looking forward to Equals.

• Gem says:

Agreed on your take of the pic. So much conveyed through one still. I can’t wait.

• diana says:

Sam, you hit all the feels I got from this cameo-like still. Drake is amazing and so are Kristen and Nicholas. Their chemistry is so palpable in this still. All I can say is Wow! If this is just a first look I can’t even begin to imagine how incredibly amazing the entire movie must be. And being filmed in Japan and Singapore just adds to the highs for this movie.

• Murdock says:

Camp-x Ray, Still Alice and Sils Maria are all fresh lol. While we can’t say the same for Maps To The Stars, and The Rover has only 2% more than her lowest which is Camp X-Ray(of her new films), and it was a huge flop btw. He didn’t even make the top 10 of the best cannes supporting performances by critics lol, while she was at first, and it’s not like razzie is a serious awards (Sandra Bullock won one at the same year she won an oscar), but if you wanna go there, oh well, Mr. Pattinson has 6 noms himself.

• Tulip says:

Sorry, Murdock, both The Rover and Maps to the Stars are both Fresh on RT.

On The Road, WTTR and SWATH are all Rotten. And you seem confused. Juliane Moore is the only actress that won an award at Cannes, the Palm d’Or for Best Actress.

lol, CoSM is so good that the distributors are dumping it next year, it isn’t even getting a qualifying run this year. Stewart has a tiny party in Still Alice, she listens while Julianne talks. She’s not getting any nominations for that, either.

And she still has 2 Razzies for Worst Actress and ZERO Oscar nominations, so stop trying to compare her to Sandra Bullock. She’s not in Sandy’s league..

• guest23 says:

@murdock – robert pattinson has nothing toto do with this post so why bother bringing his name up. Also what makes you think tulip is a rob fan? There are people out there who don’t think Kristen is a good actress and aren’t fans of rob either.

• LOL says:

No real oscar buzz being pointed out by mostly movie experts sources as a possible contender? And Yeah, she’s out of the race for Sils Maria, but she’s still getting some buzz for Still Alice. Stay Pressed.

• Oops, sorry, my comment replied to the wrong person. I saw Sils and Still Alice at TIFF and agree with all of the buzz she has been getting. :)

• It is a bitter Rob fan, because only one of them would use my name from twitter to write degrading remarks because they have nothing better to do with their lives.

Unlike this troll using my name, I am very excited about Equals. I really love Drake’s previous work, Like Crazy and Breathe In. From everything I have have seen from the filming, the scenery is amazing. I love the whole look. I cannot wait to see what Drake does with this film, it seems so different than what his other films. He sure does know how to capture the feeling of love and lust though.

• Tracygee says:

Lmao, for someone so “insignificant” you know A LOT about her movies. I know it burns you that this is her 6th film since Twilight, Rob has had 2 flops. Her films are getting mass praise and it burns you. The fact that you even read up on the famous book 1984, but you failed to correlate that it’s nothing like the book makes one wonder how educated you even are.

Please go back to Rob’s failures, it’s where you belong loser.

• Nope says:

All three of Pattinson’s last films are critical successes, sorry to disappoint you. And the two most recent are still playing in theaters all over the world.

You know who’s indies flop? Kristen Stewart. All of her indies have flopped. WTTR, The Runaways, On The Road — massive, embarrassing flops. CoSM isn’t doing well at the box office, and it’s so bad, it won’t be released in the US until next year.

She has a small, insignificant part in Still Alice, it’s not her film. And her fans are so obnoxious about trying to steal the spotlight from Julianne Moore.

Good reviews never translate into box office for her indies anyway. If anyone is a box office failure, it’s Kristen Stewart. And she has a string of critical bombs, too.

• Kanerwa says:

Please come back to kstew’s failures,all her indie movies bombed very badly at the box office.What about camp x ray?I hope it will be a massive hit becasue she’s the best paid actress in Hollywood.

• talia says:

@Tulip- “Too bad Univeral dumped her from the SWATH sequel” – Universal made it well known before SWATH was released that a film based primarily on the huntsman was in the works thus it is a prequel to SWATH not a sequel.

“Looks like she’s out of work again and has nothing in the pipeline” – she has filmed 6 films within a year so would say she is doing pretty well for herself. How do you know she has nothing in the pipeline?

• angie says:

Wow you are really into it right . Assayas is a great director and the movie has been well received about her indies they are not big box office draws but guess what not many indies are you seem to obssesed with an actress you seem to dislike or maybe you are a certain actor fan … because only lame fans are this presses
      by the way if you are going to compare the Rover was a great movie and it floped too

30. Morgan says:

So excited! :3

31. KatyD says:

Why isn’t Nicholas Hoult’s name mentioned in the headline along with Kristen Stewart’s? I mean, he’s clearly right there on the first released official movie still.. Anyhow, I’m looking forward to this movie. Hope Kristen and Nicholas have impeccable chemistry! I guess, we’ll have to wait and see…

32. Lisa says:

They have chemistry in the pic. Now both are single. When the promotion starts, It’s going to be interesting.

33. dolo says:

Another dumb romantic story , Next …

34. Ines says:

When it premieres? I want to see it

35. Hot says:

Young hot couple!

36. Maria Carla says:

looks very interesting. would like to see in theaters soon.

37. Boom Boom P says:

Regina, get your life.

38. samantha says:

Love it! *—–*

39. talia says:

look forward to seeing this film, Drake Doremus is a great director/screenwriter(although he did not write script for this film). Have loved Hoult since about a boy and Kristen has done some good indie films in her career so far and has been gaining great reviews for her films this year.

40. Online says:

Very Beautiful!! Can’t wait to see it 👍

41. Regina says:

I don’t know why she keeps getting parts in pictures. I think she’s a b list actress at best. As far as looks, not much there. She and Robert Pattison were perfect for each other, too bad she messed it up.

• angie says:

Let it go…and a B list actress that is getting a lot of recognition for her movies this year and that won criticswire as favorite performance in cannes you seem to fit in that particular group of Robert pattinson fans but the crazy ones

• Guest says:

Probably because the Industry disagrees with you. You can find a huge list of “important” people who praised her (Sean Penn, Walter Salles, Alejandro Inarritu, Julianne Moore, Olivier Assayas and the list goes and on), as well as critics, she got stellar reviews for Sils Maria for example (and some oscar buzz as well).

• Suggest you all see Gone Girl then consider Liberty Ross’s role in the SCANDAL which got her more millions in divorce money from Rupert than otherwise. She suggested Kristen for SWATH and could easily have planned it from the get co.She’s just like Amy Dunne.

• Guest says:

She was offered roles in the blockbusters Focus, The Wanted 2 and she declined them both, and she was offered a role for Akira too. It seems to be her choice to do mainly indies, American Ultra is not an indie btw, it’s a Lionsgates’ pontetial new franchise.

• Guest says:

Not living in the past, Julianne Moore, Olivier Assayas, Xavier Dolan, Juliette Binoche, Cliff Dorfman.. all recently praised her. Her stellar reviews for Sils Maria are all recent, as well as her oscar buzz for it, being among the top 5 favorites (and shortlisted) for Cannes’ Best Actress, and being elected by the critics as top 1 best supporting performance from Cannes and top 5 from TIFF. Stay Pressed, her career is doing PRETTY well… all pretty recent.

• Trainwreck says:

lol, stop living in the past. The “industry” is ignoring her, since she ruined her career and reputation by having an affair with a married director. She embarrassed them, which is why all she can get are low budget indies.

• Ron says: