Ellen Page Comes Out as Gay: ‘I’m Tired of Hiding’

In a speech at the Time to Thrive conference Friday, actress Ellen Page came out as gay. “I’m here today because I am gay,” she told the audience of LGBT youth at the Bally’s Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.

The 26-year old star of “Juno” appears in the upcoming “X-Men: Days of Future Past.”

“I am tired of hiding and I am tired of lying by omission,” Page said. “I suffered for years because I was scared to be out. My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered and my relationships suffered. And I’m standing here today, with all of you, on the other side of all that pain.”

Hollywood and Homosexuality: Why Ellen Page Made a Difference

The sponsor of the conference, Human Rights Campaign, tweeted “Congratulations @EllenPage for taking the steps to live openly and come out as lesbian.”

She told the audience she felt a personal obligation and a social responsibility to be honest. “Maybe I can help others to have an easier time. I am tired of hiding,” she said.

1. I’m happy about her coming out. There should be no reason to feel ashamed of who you are. But was she ever really inside to begin with? My gay-dar has always been strong with this one. I’ve always seen her as being a little on the butch side. She’s definitely not a lipstick. She reminds me of Janeane Garofalo.

2. Amy says:

I’m so sorry you had to hide for one second. I’m a Midwestern Christian and I’m here to say I’m so glad you have set yourself free. Your loving courage will help so many. Bless you! xo

• markworthen says:

Thank you Amy. The vast majority of Christians I know have gay friends, vote for equality (and not just for LGBT-related civil rights), and are as warm and affirming with me as they are with any of their friends.

From my reading and study Christ was all about gathering in, fostering community and interdependence, ministering to the most despised and least able, speaking truth to power, opposing oppression and subjugation, loving each other, and receiving without reservation God’s grace, acceptance, aching love, and lifeblood. IMHO, all the petty, judgmental, rigid, controlling, hierarchical, divisive, and shaming crap was slyly layered on by successions of self-interested power players who wouldn’t know Yeshua if they bumped into him on the street.

3. Jake says:

This sucks because I think she’s freakin hot… oh how bittersweet this is.

4. desere says:

beautiful!!

5. tachexnoirex says:

Reblogged this on Tache Noire and commented:
    kinda already saw this coming, still love her

• markworthen says:

tachexnoirex – I apologize for including you in my satirical post below (or is it above? WordPress commenting confused me!)

At any rate, I should not have lumped you in with the ‘perfect postdiction and damn proud of it’ bunch.

• Hitman says:

Mark!!! Oh my god dude are you still throwing your two cents on everyone’s posts! You seriously need to get a life outside of your computer and do your ranting on a curb in San Francisco or someplace. I looked you up online and for a dude who is so educated you certainly waste your time on here lol. I’m off to other fun and games but it’s fun to see you take out your anger issues on peoples ideas on an online page! Toodaloo bud and hope your flag waving gun shooting gets ya what ya want lol. ;)

• Judy says:

Don’t even know who she is. Is she “somebody”?

6. Lance Sackless says:

Seriously…no one with a an IQ over 80 was surprised.

7. tachexnoirex says:

obviously….

• markworthen says:

Ruth – You win #46!

Sarah – You win # 47!

Tachexnoirex – You win #48!

Oh. Sorry, no, they’re not lottery tickets.

It’s just that you are the 46th and 47th and 48th persons to let the world know about your astute gayness detection skills.

I am just so grateful that you 49 have driven the point home with such incessant repetition that even an old knucklehead like me now understands which of the following two events are more important.

Event #1) Ms Page’s powerful, poignant speech, which will probably prevent dozens of suicides; help lift the shroud of shame sucking the lifeblood out of thousands of LGBT citizens; and embolden thousands of gay men and women to embrace the advice Pollonious gave to Laertes, “To thine own self be true.”

OR

Event #2) Forty-nine anonymous Internet people accurately predicted a young actress’ affectional orientation. And not only that, but we would not possess this crucial knowledge, if each and every one of them had not so generously devoted the time and energy to share this vital knowledge with us today.

Clearly, Event #2 is the really important one. Like so many wise anonymous posters have explained, what’s the big deal about being gay? I mean it’s not like any LGBT kids or adults suffer as a result of their gay lifestyle these days, right? C’mon you guys. Get over it already!

8. Janice Alexander says:

Why the need to state your sexuality?

• Because unless a person states her sexuality, people assume she is heterosexual. If you want to set the record straight, you need to state otherwise. That’s all.

• sdennis says:

Straight people “Come out” all the time. They hold hands in public, they kiss, they get engaged, they marry, they have children. All loudly announcing to the world that they are straight. So why does it bother people that a homosexual decides to be open about the sexuality? It isn’t about sex. It’s about love. It’s about who they are. And so many haters want to shut people up and lock them away for who they love. It is a sad world indeed. And this is why it is so brave, and to be applauded, for her to come out.

9. sarah says:

Is anyone honestly surprised right now?

10. Ani says:

Is it bad that I recognized her from Beyond: Two Souls?

11. ruth says:

Shocker! … not

12. Barb says:

I have a gay niece as she was growing up I always knew ….. she would date guys but she was never happy. I was so glad when she embraced who she was. My kids love her as their sister and our love for her has never changed.Always be who you are never change for anyone.

13. markworthen says:

Dear Veronica,

Would you be willing, hypothetically of course, to come on down to the Bible Belt, and walk around a few small towns for an hour or two every day, holding hands with a good friend if mine? My friend’s physical appearance is such that some people would say she’s butch, although she doesn’t have a crew cut and she’s quite athletic. But to be fair, when she’s walking around town she frequently has to put up with jeers of “Filthy Dyke!” And, “Come here baby! My big 10-inch will cure you of that vile perversion! Ha ha!”

But what am I’m saying? You know about all this stuff already, given your expertise on how to completely reverse 3000 years of gay bashing, abuse, ridicule, assaults, being treated like a 3rd class citizen, etc.

And given your expert knowledge and comfort with LGBT folks, you would hypothetically of course. Have no problem with my proposal right?

14. Tom Gray says:

Tell that to all the black people that were hanged for holding hands with a white woman…

• markworthen says:

Yeah but aren’t those “no mixed marriage” laws like ancient history? I mean I know lots of mixed couples.
      Yes, yes I am being sarcastic. Loving v. Virginia wasn’t decided until 1967. That was not *that*long ago, even for you young whippersnappers.

And Lo and Behold, in the 70’s and 80’s, the White Guys Who Are Experts on the Black Experience chastised the silly Negroes for feeling anxious about requesting a marriage license, or for being apprehensive about going to Disney World with their Caucasian spouse and holding hands, etc.

Their favorite phrase was “Get Over It!”

15. Esta Noche says:

I tend to watch odd films, so I’m not entirely certain who this young lady is. However, from looking her up, she appears to be the young, pretty, leading-girl material. While society has become a lot more accepting, I can see how it might be a career risk for her to come out like this. I gotta respect that.

16. derek andrews says:

This is actually kind of insulting. Hollywood is very accepting of homosexuals as there are a lot of gays in acting and they aren’t being persecuted in the least. So the fact that she felt she had to hide it makes it seem like she is the one that is ashamed of being gay.

This screams of a LOOK AT ME attitude and I find it shameful that she didn’t either come out earlier.

Whatever this will help her get into the spotlight again so good for her on that one.

• Kristy says:

Isn’t that the whole point? The fact that people feel like they should be ASHAMED of being gay? We need to change that.

You say that Hollywood is very accepting of gays. Okay, then where are all the movies and TV shows that have non-stereotypical gay characters? Is progress being made? Yes, but there’s not enough.

And she didn’t need to come out for anyone but herself. It is a very personal matter. However, she chose to be out and make this speech to help the cause. She wants other LGBT youth to not go through what she went through. And if you listened to her speech, you could tell that it was a painful experience. For most of the LGBT community, coming out is preceded by a confusing, nerve-wracking, sometimes self-loathing period. (Even for those of us who grew up in an accepting environment.)

• markworthen says:

Most gay people feel, or have felt, ashamed about being gay.

Maybe that is not true for *some* gay people, particularly those born after 1990. But even for today’s gay youth, and most certainly for LGBT folks in their 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, and older, suffering shame about our sexual/affectional orientation is the norm.

For someone who presents himself as an expert on gay people in cinema, I’m surprised you didn’t know that.

17. markworthen says:

Perhaps your posts get deleted because you don’t contribute any thing of value to the discussion? For example, if you took some time to read some of the previous posts, you would discover that at least a couple of dozen other people have said the same thing as you.

Sure, it’s a few country and you can eject your bile too, even if it’s the same sickly green as the last guy. But toward what end? What is your intention?

Do you intend to engage in civil discourse?

It sure doesn’t seem like that’s your motive, since words like discourse, dialogue, and discussion refer to a two-way, back-and-forth communication, which involves listening and thoughtful consideration of the other person’s argument. I don’t see that. What I see is an anonymous guy, who, true to his nic (‘Hitman’), appears to be interested only in spewing and running. (Although maybe you’re a serial spewer, in which case, you’ll keep coming back to ‘hit’ us again, until you’ve unleashed your load.)

18. Joshua Boden says:

Hitman, all you have proven is what a clueless idiot you are. Bravo troll. Get a hobby, serve a purpose.

19. SANAL says:

WHATS SO NEW ABOUT THIS? IT HAPPENS EVERY DAY, ALL AROUND THE WORLD, THIS DOES NOT MAKE HER BRAVE, JUST A HYPOCRITE, WHY IS SHE SPECIAL? WHAT’S SO SPECIAL ABOUT HER “COMING OUT”. PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD SUFFER FROM MANY KINDS OF PROBLEMS AND ISSUES, AND NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION TO THEM. JUST BECAUSE SHE IS A HOLLYWOOD STAR? THIS IS JUST FOR FAME, SHE IS AN ACTRESS AND KNOWS HOW TO MAKE HERSELF CRY, AND SEEM LIKE SHE’S SO OFFENDED, AND HOW MUCH SHE HAS TO GO THROUGH, WELL WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD, WHERE PEOPLE OF ALL BACKGROUNDS SUFFER REJECTION, AND HAVE NO ONE TO GIVE THEM THE TIME OF DAY, SHE GETS ATTENTION FOR THIS, WHEN SHE SHOULDN’T. SHE BLAMES IT ON HOLLYWOOD, BUT LET’S FACE IT SHE DOESN’T SUFFER FROM BEING FAMOUS, SHE’S NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE MONEY SHE MAKES. SHE IS FULL OF CRAP, AND THIS IS BS. WE SHOULD STOP FEELING SORRY FOR THESE FAMOUS PEOPLE AND FOCUS ON THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE A MICROPHONE AND CAMERAS SURROUNDING THEM ALL THE TIME.

• Bren says:

Actually, all that attention would make this harder, not easier, as for “all that money” she makes, ya problem leads to a cozy home and a surety that she’ll not starve, but, it doesn’t mean it’s ok to treat her like she’s not a person. If you want to save people facing issues, any issues, it doesn’t really work to spread hate while preaching, just kind of ends with the message becoming a poisonous thought, which really what your post was. You act as if, money prevents rejection, well, perhaps in some ways, but how many people see only money and no person at all? Having money leads to false acceptance more often than anything else, which, at the end of the day would likely hurt more. Sadly, by your post all I can think you see is the money…which is really rather sad.

• markworthen says:

Sanal – Where did I say you don’t have a right to express your opinion? Of course you do.

I am glad you watched her speech, although I’m sorry that the Gay Mafia has infiltrated your media devices and is forcing you to see it over and over. Yikes! Shades of Clockwork Orange. :^]

Regarding your statement about her choosing her path, are you referring to her sexuality or her movie career?

I missed the part where she asked people to feel sorry for her. Where is that in the video? Or are you referring to something I wrote? For the record, I am thrilled for her; I do not feel sorry for her. I’ve never seen where pity for a person helps them anyway.

In general I think you’re missing the main point of her speech, which took place at an HRC conference for and about LGBT Youth, with the theme of “Time to THRIVE.” Among many other benefits of her speech, explained very well by several folks in this comment thread, one of the most potent is to model authenticity and hope. That makes a *huge* difference. In fact, I might have succumbed to suicide if it wasn’t for the inspiration and hope I derived from Harvey Milk’s openness, courage, and willingness to stand up to the bigots and religious zealots in 1977 and 1978.

• markworthen says:

No need to SHOUT, Sanal.

Also, a couple of dozen other folks have said the same thing as you. And people have provided well-written, articulate responses to them, explaining why Ms Page’s speech *is* a big deal, among other issues.

Have you read those posts? Did you listen closely to all if Ms Page’s speech?

20. Kevin Michael Cisterino says:

I’m sorry you had an easy life and never had to feel like you were hated for being a person, but most of the people that come out don’t do it for attention. Some do make a big deal out of it, but that is a very small minority. All of the other ones do it for excactly the reasons she said. Not wanting to live a lie, not wanting to hate yourself, not wanting to feel like you are worthless. Having celebrities have the courage to come out to millions of people all over the world gives average everyday gays the courage to come out as well, and makes it easier for people to accept them. Pretending to be straight in a straight society takes its toll, which is something that unfortunatly some people will never understand.

21. hlynds says:

Reblogged this on Women's Community Development and commented:
    What a beautiful speech

22. Ron Haas says:

I get your point of view and in some cases I agree. However, one thing that these celebrity “coming out” announcement shows is that it is still difficult to be openly gay in today’s society. Fear of stigma and discrimination still abound. If it is hard for a movie personaility to come out….how hard is it for the “common man or woman”. These public “coming out” statements help encourage and support those who are still living in the closet in fear. So, as annoying and sometimes ridiculous because it’s not like we didn’t already know, statements are necessary and important.

23. Joshua Boden says:

Freedom of speech does not apply to privately owned publications. In other words, their house, their rules. You have the right to say what ever you want. But it isn’t your publication is it? No. So if Variety decides to erase your asinine comments, they have every right to do that. I love it when hateful idiots use the 1st amendment to defend their ignorant rants. For the record, I support your right to say what ever kind of hateful idiotic garbage you want to spout. But I have every right to point out what an idiot you are. Free speech! Douche bag.

• Nancym says:

Georgia? Um….What? Aside from most of your post being almost unintelligible, I really am curious about the last part. Lesbians – shooting blanks?

• Hitman says:

It truly takes a big man to get all huffed up over a post and rant on something I said lol besides who asked you anyway? If you don’t like that tough! If I want to be who I am isn’t that my right? If I want to post things isn’t that my right too? I’m glad I got your goat and made you mad it says you don’t know how to handle things and like to pick fights online llooll.

24. Who cares if she’s gay, grow up.

25. Powerful message with or without the coming out

26. Ray says:

I thought she came out on Saturday night live like 7 years ago?

27. charles davy says:

It’s good LGBT are making more appearances in the public spotlight. It will help to reinforce to the general public that we are normal people that have hopes and dreams. People that want the same things heterosexual’s do, including respect, love, and a chance for a fulfilling life.

28. Mills Lee says:

I guess I was just surprised about seeing blurbs about her getting let go by some national makeup company and by this announcement as I just always thought she Was gay. Why is this a surprise to anyone? After reading what she said, I realize now that I never knew she never admitted it, or that she was tired of being dishonest by “omission.” Glad you came out Ellen, wish you well!

• Mills Lee says:

This video of her speech moved me to tears. I hope that others will gain the strength they need in their lives by her example. I really applaud her for opening her heart up like she did.

29. Maelshavek Dondren says:

Yeah, havent been impressed by her enough to care for her more than being a pretty face. Not interested in anything she acts in now.

30. Dewey Boyd says:

You have been hiding pretty good. I don’t even know who you are!!

31. Oh well will no longer watch any film she is in. What a shame she is an attractive women.

• William Landers, I can’t see how you could watch any film, with your narrow vision of the world and its residents not up to your smug morality’s benchmarks, enjoying their moments as organic creations experiencing existence. You would be incapable of the wider view needed to see the whole screen anyway.

She remains an attractive woman despite your myopic sight. I say “what a shame” you’ve obviously shackled your mind to some belief concept that stifles your reasoning and blocks the inner divinity we have naturally instilled within us as we developed in the womb as a tradeoff so you can feel superior to others that had the logical minds and common sense to live free of the failed concepts from revealed religions. I wish you luck with your upcoming struggles as you fail to evolve and adapt to the ever changing landscapes you see around you as the progress of global secularism spreads over the land and reaches your doorstep. New age of enlightenment coming up, Billy boy, bone up.

• Jen F. says:

I have a feeling she doesn’t want you to watch her films if that’s your attitude. Oh and FYI she’s STILL very attractive and that doesn’t change just because you’re a bigot.

32. Slenderman says:

Thank you Ellen. Although I am not gay, I still thank you for what you have done. For without these words, many people your age would not have someone to look up to.

33. Ryan Connell says:

Do you think we could get a version with a little more volume? I have everything maxed out and still have to hold my ear to the computer to even hear a word she’s saying.

• Taylor says:

It’s important because those either LGBT, still, in the 21st century, are weighted down by disapproving parents, friends, and even in their workplace where which the consequences are firing for no other reason than by what they desire as far as relationships and their personal life; and that hatred and arrogance is much more common than most think. People are coming out more prevalently because of more awareness to the issue, but the LGBT group is an extraordinarily tiny minority which has almost no say in political and societal issues and that’s why they’re coming out more often today than in the past–they’re sick of it and I know I am.
      There’s very few I’ve ever talked with online and in person altogether that understand that it is something you’re born with–you don’t learn it, you don’t choose it, it’s a goddamn fact. I used to be the same arrogant little prick about the issue and I highly regret that, I may have hurt people in the process, and I wish I had educated myself about it beforehand.

• markworthen says:

Good point Ryan.

34. Cara says:

If only you actually understood the pressure involved in coming out and how those of us still in the closet feel when we see the bravery of other people coming out so publicly.

35. Cara says:

If you knew anything about her you’d know that isn’t’ true.

36. MsDivineCaroline says:

RELIGION paints the illusion of hypocricy stemming from God. SPIRITUALITY states the truth. It doesn’t matter what rituals one performs or how one relates to their church. The only truth is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Only He can renew your mind, your heart, your spirit. No human has the right to pass judgement on any other human, no matter what. This is solely the job of the Creator. Love all, for everyone is equal in His eyes.

37. I still love her, even if we have no chance together

38. Good for you!! Be true to thyself !
    You may help others that aren’t as strong as you ,
    Wishing you happiness !

39. sherrie says:

Really? all you had to know hat she was gay was to watch the way she acted I mean she couldn’t help it but her actions had it wrote all over her. Why does it matter she’s still human just like any body else that is gay, they are all still humans.

40. Nancym says:

In 2 Kings 2:24 the lord sends 2 bears to rend 42 boys for the awful crime of mocking a bald man. Yeah, that sounds loving and forgiving.

41. Alex Critoph says:

This is pretty awesome and brave of her, honestly surprised though I never would have guessed

42. VanCityGuy says:

She’s an amazing person and one of the finest actors of her generation. Does it make you feel insecure that she’s better than you in every way?

43. Good for her–no reason anyone in this day and age should be living what they see as a lie.

In solidarity with Ms Page, I give you this: : http://johnnyangelwendell.bandcamp.com/track/my-lesbian-friend

44. I love this actress. She was great in Juno, Whip It, and Inception. She also broke my heart in the movie, An American Crime. I think she’s great. I’m glad she’s able to feel comfortable being herself. No one should have to live a lie.

45. Raita says:

What a great speech! Though it was obviously personal, she managed to tie her own sexuality to the wider picture and focused on the issues that LGBT teens face every day. Like it or not, Hollywood has a big effect on what we think of as normal, and every actor that goes against the tide is a plus.

Though it’s very different for big celebrities than it is for regular teens out there, she faces her own set of problems. The gossip magazines (and internet comments) will criticize her, some people will refuse to cast her and some bigots will surely bully her on movie sets (which happens all the time). Not to mention her personal relationships with family and friends.

You might think it doesn’t matter, that it’s “not a big deal anymore”. I wish I could be as ignorant – it probably feels blissful to think that sexuality is no longer an issue, to be blind to the problems all around the world. But I can’t, because I know better. Gay people still get killed for being what they are – and I’m not just talking about places like Uganda. Gay people are disowned by their families. Gay people are called names and told they’re going to hell. Gay people are raped – as a punishment for the men, and a “conversion” for the women (so they can “see what a good d*** feels like”). Gay people are beaten up at school, have their faces bashed into the ground. And gay people are judged, always judged – if for nothing else, then for “making a big deal out of themselves”.

How would YOU feel, if you had just come from school where everyone called you a faggot and someone beat you up in the bathroom, and you come home where your father talks about throwing you out of the house and your mother cries when you say you’ll still keep “choosing” to be gay, and then you go on the internet and someone says to you, “being gay is no big deal – if you just stopped talking about it all the time, there would be no problem!”.

As a bisexual woman (who is lucky to have a supportive family but didn’t have as much luck when I was younger and still in school), I applaud your courage, Ellen! You give hope to all the teens (and us adults) out there, that maybe some day being gay will really be no big deal.

• markworthen says:

Thank you Raita. It’s a joy to read a well-informed, cogent post with heart.

And what you and others have written does make a difference. Of course, some folks will remain unfazed, since they come here devoid of any desire to engage in civil discourse: the self-righteous Christianists; the puerile narcissists; and my favorite, the bored malcontents who get their jollies posting what they think are witty, hip one-liners that others have posted a half-dozen times already. (Look how many of them have posted a variant of, “This is a surprise? … Next!”)

But there are a good number of open-minded, thoughtful people who visit and read comments. A few of them post something, sometimes displaying a stereotypic belief or a misinformed assumption, but not always.

It is with these individuals that posts like yours have an impact. And it is such people I also learn things previously hidden in the “I don’t know what don’t know realm.”

• markworthen says:

Yes! Love overpowers greed and envy and spite and all those other vices which tempt us all to some extent, I love your approach and your too-notch writing. 😀

• Raita says:

I believe (or at least want to believe!) that there are a lot more people who have positive thoughts about this article, they just don’t comment.

People read a lot of things on the internet daily, it’s all click, click, click. For a person to stop and take a moment to write a thoughtful comment, it usually takes some strong emotion. And unfortunately, hate and anger are the strongest emotions and the ones that more easily drive us to action. Those comments tend to be short and make low blows or aggressive attacks. As you said, a lot of people here have claimed not to care or that they aren’t surprised, but clearly they’ve been angered enough to post suchy smug comments.

That’s why I’ve made it a habit to try to post something positive or supportive on things that are known to draw hate and conflict, even if it doesn’t draw any strong emotions from me. I mean, I felt touched by this story and it made me happy, but the first thing in my mind still was “oh, I’m busy, I don’t need to comment that I like this”. But I threw that reaction out the window, because I know how comforting it is to read even a few thoughtful comments amongst the hate. Those are the only thing keeping me from losing all hope in humanity, anyway!

46. Girlysaurus says:

This speech was fucking beautiful. =’)

• Cara says:

I’m a bisexual woman as well. I really like what you had to say. I think unfortunately, It is very hard for those of us who are bisexual because, although the world is becoming more accepting of gayness, they are not as accepting of bisexuality. Our lives are still riddled with pressure and stereotypes. If you are bi and fall in love with a man people assume you were “straight all along” and if you are bi and fall in love with a woman people assume you were “gay all along.” I don’t know which is harder, coming out as gay or bi, but I do think that being bi is still heavily misunderstood and that people tend to think that bisexuality does not exist.

• Raita says:

I think you probably meant to reply to me?

Anyway, I know exactly what you’re talking about. Some people accuse us bisexuals of pretending. Some think we’re just trying to get the “best of both worlds” because we can have gay sex but still settle with a member of the opposite sex and “appear straight”. I think it can sometimes be easier to be bi, but it can also be harder. I’ve had moments where I’ve faced rejection from not just straight people, but also the gay community.

Then there’s the all-too-common stereotype of bisexuals being promiscious. We are potrayed in the media as sex-crazed, having threesomes left and right and never being able to setlte down. And when you do settle down, people assume you’ve picked a side. I’m in a happy long-term relationship with a man right now, and even though I’ve previously had a relationship with a woman that was just as serious, so many people seem to assume I’m straight now. It doesn’t work that way, people! I personally believe sexuality is a scale, not a on/off switch – you might fall on one of the far sides of the scale, or anywhere in between.

Sure, there are people who are what they call “bi-curious” and experiment a little. Actually, a WHOLE LOT of people do that at a certain age. Maybe that’s why some people don’t seem to take us seriously, even if they’re not against gays – they’ve experienced some curiosity themselves and maybe kissed or even had sex with a member of the same sex, before realizing that it really wasn’t your thing. But both men and women are “my thing” – tried and true, and it’s not gonna change.

• markworthen says:

Well said Cara. Gay and lesbian folks aren’t immune from stereotypes and misinformation, myself included. One if the most important things I learned in college was from an young, female, African-American full professor who conducts research on the development of racial identity. Her advice: “Start with the assumption that you have unconscious stereotypic beliefs about everyone, e.g., based on class, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual/affectional orientation, educational level, and more. And don’t forget that you probably have inaccurate, stereotyped beliefs about *your own* class, race, gender, etc.”

There was some diversity in our class of eight honors students, e.g., guys and women; Catholic, Baptist, atheist, Jewish. But we were all young, white, middle class suburban kids with one or both parents who had earned graduate degrees. The professor grew up in the rural South, raised by parents who each worked two jobs and had attended segregated schools, and whose maternal grandmother, who lived with them, would share stories with her and her brother about *her* grandmother who had been enslaved until she was freed in 1866.

We all certainly valued and appreciated gaining a much richer understanding of the stereotypes, discrimination, abuse, subjugation, and dehumanization she and her family members endured. But equally valuable was how she modeled openness to discovering previously unconscious stereotypes within herself about “you funny white folks” as she playfully and warmly referred to us. Her openness and non-punitive attitude toward herself when she recognized her own biases made it much easier for us to do the same.

A couple of final brief notes:

– She studies White racial development, a concept that was foreign to all of us. That was another eye-opener!

– Two of her biggest challenges growing up were: a) Being dark-skinned young woman at a traditional black college where most of the students were light-skinned; and b) Being a “smart girl”, which in her home community was a designation, that aroused suspicion and mistrust among many people.

47. Carlyn says:

So i take it you don’t wear clothes with more than one fiber (Lev 19:19), eat shellfish (Lev 11:10), so much as hold your wife’s hand when she’s menstruating (Lev 15:19-24), and are super okay with selling your daughter into slavery, too (Exodus 21:7)? Cause all that is in the same section of the bible condemning homosexuality and saying slavery is a-okay (Lev. 25:44).

A good christian knows that love thy neighbor and judge not lest thee be judged are far more important to God than such nonsense. People cannot “escape” from homosexuality, but simply repress things about themselves that are natural and perfectly okay, or else why would God have made them that way in the first place?

Homosexuality is every bit as much his creation as the trees and the stars, and every bit as beautiful.
    Way to go, Ellen Page, for helping scared kids everywhere to understand that.

48. Alex Turner says:

I don’t think any celebrity is know by every single person. Why are you watching this then?

49. Bazooka Joe says:

why was she hiding shes a b actress with no talent

50. Shon Burch says:

Because none of the above are having sex with other grown up, consenting adults. I mean I really don’t understand how you can’t make that obvious connection without me having to step in and clarify why. It’s not a far leap in logic. It’s just one small step.