Dylan Farrow Responds to Woody Allen: ‘Nothing He Says or Writes Can Change the Truth’

The back-and-forth volleys among the Woody Allen and Mia Farrow families continue as Allen’s adopted daughter Dylan Farrow has released a statement responding to Allen’s piece published Friday online in the New York Times Sunday review section.

In the Woody Allen Speaks Out article, he defended himself against Dylan Farrow’s post published last Saturday in the New York Times alleging that Allen had molested her at the age of 7.

Dylan Farrow’s response sent Friday night read as follows:

Once again, Woody Allen is attacking me and my family in an effort to discredit and silence me — but nothing he says or writes can change the truth. For 20 years, I have never wavered in describing what he did to me. I will carry the memories of surviving these experiences for the rest of my life.

His op-ed is the latest rehash of the same legalese, distortions, and outright lies he has leveled at me for the past 20 years. He insists my mother brought criminal charges — in fact, it was a pediatrician who reported the incident to the police based on my firsthand account. He suggests that no one complained of his misconduct prior to his assault on me — court documents show that he was in treatment for what his own therapist described as “inappropriate” behavior with me from as early as 1991. He offers a carefully worded claim that he passed a lie detector test – in fact, he refused to take the test administered by the state police (he hired someone to administer his own test, which authorities refused to accept as evidence). These and other misrepresentations have been rebutted in more detail by independent, highly respected journalists, including this most recent article here.

With all the attempts to misrepresent the facts, it is important to be reminded of the truth contained in court documents from the only final ruling in this case, by the New York Supreme Court in 1992. In denying my father all access to me, that court:

• Debunked the “experts” my father claims exonerated him, calling them “colored by their loyalty to Mr. Allen”, criticizing the author of their report (who never met me) for destroying all supporting documentation, and calling their conclusions “sanitized and therefore less credible”.

• Included testimony from babysitters who witnessed inappropriate sexual behavior by my father toward me.

• Found that “there is no credible evidence to support Mr. Allen’s contention that Ms. Farrow coached Dylan or that Ms. Farrow acted upon a desire for revenge against him for seducing Soon-Yi. Mr. Allen’s resort to the stereotypical ‘woman scorned’ defense is an injudicious attempt to divert attention from his failure to act as a responsible parent and adult.”

• Concluded that the evidence “…proves that Mr. Allen’s behavior toward Dylan was grossly inappropriate and that measures must be taken to protect her.”

• Finally, the Connecticut State prosecutor found “probable cause” to prosecute, but made the decision not to in an effort to protect “the child victim”, given my fragile state.

From the bottom of my heart, I will be forever grateful for the outpouring of support I have received from survivors and countless others. If speaking out about my experience can help others stand up to their tormentors, it will be worth the pain and suffering my father continues to inflict on me. Woody Allen has an arsenal of lawyers and publicists but the one thing he does not have on his side is the truth. I hope this is the end of his vicious attacks and of the media campaign by his lawyers and publicists, as he’s promised. I won’t let the truth be buried and I won’t be silenced.

1. Greg says:

I think the eagles said it best with their song “Get over it” Twenty year feud only happens in Hollywood or Kentucky……

2. Scott says:

Seeing as how Meryl Streep hates Walt Disney so much–she obviously believes Woody Allen is a pedophile pervert. Let’s here it, Streep. Let woody Allen babysit your grandchildren.

3. Linda says:

Allen has always liked young girls, hence his marriage to a child! Of course he abused her, just like he abused other young girls over the years. Stop protecting him and accept that even though he is a “celebrity” he is still capable of abuse and should be dealt with appropriately. Put him in a room with with the parents of children who have been sexually abused by dirty bastards like him and let them do as they please! Vile, ugly little creep!

4. Linda says:

May all the power of the frail and abused be with you young lady. I believe you.

5. I want to respond to those who are saying that Dylan is being overly dramatic. I have a personal understanding of what it’s like to be held back from protecting yourself. When you are victimized as a child, your whole sense of how to express your anger, protect yourself, and regain some sense of control in your life is completely ambushed by the offensive event or events. It is interesting to me that I was also 28 years old when things welled up in me so strongly that I could not longer hold back. I had to purge my anger and demand to be heard in order to be made as whole as I could be. To others, that may have come across as “overly dramatic”, but you just can’t fully understand unless you’ve been there. Some victims talk about forgiveness. I think that comes as a very individual process, depending on the specifics of the circumstances. It might be one thing to be the one-time victim of a mistake made by a mentally ill person, but it can be very different dynamics when there is long-term manipulation, domination, seclusion, and secrecy. In matters of PTSD, it is likened to being in helpless captivity, and can cause devastating, lifelong damage. Perhaps it is empowering for her in the very public world of which she is most familiar. Who am I to say what is the best way for her to regain some sense of wholeness. And if it helps others who have been abused to develop even a little more personal strength and integrity, then kudos to Dylan. <3

6. Becky Tate says:

1.   Mia never went to the police about the allegation of sexual abuse. Her lawyer told her on August 5, 1992, to take the seven-year-old Dylan to a pediatrician, who was bound by law to report Dylan’s story of sexual violation to law enforcement and did so on August 6.

2.   Allen had been in therapy for alleged inappropriate behavior toward Dylan with a child psychologist before the abuse allegation was presented to the authorities or made public. Mia Farrow had instructed her babysitters that Allen was never to be left alone with Dylan.

3.   Allen refused to take a polygraph administered by the Connecticut state police. Instead, he took one from someone hired by his legal team. The Connecticut state police refused to accept the test as evidence. The state attorney, Frank Maco, says that Mia was never asked to take a lie-detector test during the investigation.

4.   Allen subsequently lost four exhaustive court battles—a lawsuit, a disciplinary charge against the prosecutor, and two appeals—and was made to pay more than $1 million in Mia’s legal fees. Judge Elliott Wilk, the presiding judge in Allen’s custody suit against Farrow, concluded that there is “no credible evidence to support Mr. Allen’s contention that Ms. Farrow coached Dylan or that Ms. Farrow acted upon a desire for revenge against him for seducing Soon-Yi.”

5.   In his 33-page decision, Judge Wilk found that Mr. Allen’s behavior toward Dylan was “grossly inappropriate and that measures must be taken to protect her.” The judge also recounts Farrow’s misgivings regarding Allen’s behavior toward Dylan from the time she was between two and three years old. According to the judge’s decision, Farrow told Allen, “You look at her [Dylan] in a sexual way. You fondled her . . . You don’t give her any breathing room. You look at her when she’s naked.”

6.   Dylan’s claim of abuse was consistent with the testimony of three adults who were present that day. On the day of the alleged assault, a babysitter of a friend told police and gave sworn testimony that Allen and Dylan went missing for 15 or 20 minutes, while she was at the house. Another babysitter told police and also swore in court that on that same day, she saw Allen with his head on Dylan’s lap facing her body, while Dylan sat on a couch “staring vacantly in the direction of a television set.” A French tutor for the family told police and testified that that day she found Dylan was not wearing underpants under her sundress. The first babysitter also testified she did not tell Farrow that Allen and Dylan had gone missing until after Dylan made her statements. These sworn accounts contradict Moses Farrow’s recollection of that day in People magazine.

7.   The Yale-New Haven Hospital Child Sex Abuse Clinic’s finding that Dylan had not been sexually molested, cited repeatedly by Allen’s attorneys, was not accepted as reliable by Judge Wilk, or by the Connecticut state prosecutor who originally commissioned them. The state prosecutor, Frank Maco, engaged the Yale-New Haven team to determine whether Dylan would be able to perceive facts correctly and be able to repeat her story on the witness stand. The panel consisted of two social workers and a pediatrician, Dr. John Leventhal, who signed off on the report but who never saw Dylan or Mia Farrow. No psychologists or psychiatrists were on the panel. The social workers never testified; the hospital team only presented a sworn deposition by Dr. Leventhal, who did not examine Dylan.
    All the notes from the report were destroyed. Her confidentiality was then violated, and Allen held a news conference on the steps of Yale University to announce the results of the case. The report concluded Dylan had trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality. (For example, she had told them there were “dead heads” in the attic and called sunset “the magic hour.” In fact, Mia kept wigs from her movies on styrofoam blocks in a trunk in the attic.) The doctor subsequently backed down from his contention.
    The Connecticut state police, the state attorney, and Judge Wilk all had serious reservations about the report’s reliability.

8.   Allen changed his story about the attic where the abuse allegedly took place. First, Allen told investigators he had never been in the attic where the alleged abuse took place. After his hair was found on a painting in the attic, he admitted that he might have stuck his head in once or twice. A top investigator concluded that his account was not credible.

9.   The state attorney, Maco, said publicly he did have probable cause to press charges against Allen but declined, due to the fragility of the “child victim.” Maco told me that he refused to put Dylan through an exhausting trial, and without her on the stand, he could not prosecute Allen.

10.   I am not a longtime friend of Mia Farrow’s, and I did not make any deal with her. I have been personally accused of helping my “long-time friend” Mia Farrow place the story that ran in Vanity Fair’s November 2013 issue as part of an effort to help launch Ronan Farrow’s media career. I have also been accused of agreeing to some type of deal with Mia Farrow guaranteeing that the sexual-abuse allegation against Woody Allen would be revisited. For the record, I met Mia Farrow for the first time in 2003, more than 10 years after the first piece was published, at a nonfiction play she appeared in for a benefit in Washington, D.C. I saw her and Dylan again the next day. That is the last time I saw her until I approached her in April 2013 to do a story about her family and how they had fared over the years. I talked to eight of her children, including Dylan and a reluctant Ronan. There was no deal of any kind. Moses Farrow declined to be interviewed for the 2013 piece

• I don’t think she’s being overly dramatic, but suspect she thinks the publicity will give her backwater career a boost. To go after the actors indicates that Mom’s a little on the jealous side. They haven’t done much for themselves, and I feel sorry for the brother who will have his TV debut in the middle of this trailer camp-level cat fight.

7. Becky Tate says:

Interesting that most of the comments from this industry pub are men defending Allen. Its “clear” he is innocent? He’s saying she is lying, period. Because her mom supposedly tricked her. Read this and then decide how “clear” things are. http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/02/woody-allen-sex-abuse-10-facts.

8. David says:

It is a shame that Ms. Farrow is so bitter as to poison her own children against their adopted father. It is clear that Mr. Allen did not molest Dylan. But they will never cease attacking Mr. Allen and that is why is films are so successful. People know that he was falsely accused and continue to watch his films. The public has spoken. Both Mia and Dylan should stop such false accusations and it’s Mia’s responsibility to end this prosecution of a decent man.

9. Kei Garth says:

dylan’s veracity of saying that she will not be silenced, and feels ‘attacked,’ seems overly dramatic and not quite accurate. i don’t see ANY attempt of her being silenced by anyone – nor attacked (by allen),
    but i do see her pension for theater to be as codified as her mothers’.

10. numerology by sirrus says:

Those who say this is a private matter and not public, surely are blind and if put in the same position would probably tell their children to hush and keep it to themselves forever. Shame shame shame.

11. John Shea says:

I wonder in what way has Woody Allen or anyone else even attempted to silence Dylan Farrow, much less succeeded? Her version of events has been much more loudly and widely disseminated and accepted for over twenty years.

12. DeeDeeLou says:

What a mess! Wow! I’ve been following this story all week. Yikes! I would just like to say, where the heck is Mia Farrow while her daughter, who has never been in the public eye in this manner before is defending herself and “her family” i.e. her 68 year-old-mother? I’ll tell ya, she is tweeting about free range eggs and the new google logo… something is seriously amiss here! At this point, a major part of the equation is missing and that is Mia Farrow making a statement that doesn’t involve 140 characters or less. What kind of a person “TWEETS” about her daughter’s sexual molestation allegations? That is disgraceful. I see a lot of survivors of sexual abuse in these comment forums, and I too am a victim of childhood sexual abuse. I can sense the personal anger and outrage of the commentators and wonder how much is subjective or is actually coming from a place of objectivity. In my own experience, it was a perpetual and regular occurence and took years of recovery, rage, courage and inevitably catharsis to recover from. I’ve read Mr. Allen’s response today and speaking as a young woman who is a survivor, his pointing to the responsibility and credibility of Mia Farrow is valid and logical. If Mia Farrow truly believed that Woody Allen was capable of commiting such a terrible crime, then why in the world would she have left her child alone with him, leaving the well-being of her 7-year-old in the hands of baby-sitters while she was out shopping? At any rate, Dylan might need to come to terms with who’s cause she is actually battling. If it were truly her own she should seek healing in a way that does not air her dirty laundry in such a public way, she is only hurting herself at this point.

13. Yvette says:

The facts speak for themselves. Dylan is speaking the truth, so all you pedophile-defenders should listen up and stop perpetuating sexist rape vultu.

14. mightymad says:

Two things I got to point out about this response:

– Unlike what Dylan claimed, Allen never attacked her in his piece. He really went all of his way to paint her as a victim of her mother’s manipulations.If anybody got attacked in his letter, it’s Mia Farrow, and nobody else.Then again, if merely defending himself against her accusation was an attack toward her, then yes, I guess he was in fact attacking her.

– Saying that “Woody Allen has an arsenal of lawyers and publicists”, and making it sound like it gives him some type of advantage over her is the zenith of dishonesty, and makes her look quite disingenuous. Dylan, we all know your mom is Mia Farrow, which means you can easily have access to the same level of lawyers and publicists your estranged father have, access you probably did in fact use, given how big and ubiquitous this story currently is. So please do not try to play the victim card when it comes to the PR war – no doubt both armies are fighting with the same ammunition.

Man… what a mess. For any true closure to actually happen here, all parties involved (yes, the whole Allen-Farrow clan) must stop talking to the media and/or post comments about it online, and have a private sit down, hopefully with some type of arbitrator/psychiatrist, to get to the bottom of their abysmal relationship and maybe find some truths in there, may it be good or bad. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN, though. Really don’t want to sound like an Allen apologist (more than I already do…), but the Farrow clan seemed more interested in rehashing this conflict in the court of public opinion, which is fine and dandy, except that WE, the public, cannot possibly make a definite and accurate assessment of this whole thing. It’s all guts feeling, a lot of them based on completely inaccurate assumptions (no, Allen never adopted/raised Soon-Yi, and didn’t even lived with Farrow and her kids.)

You know what my gut feeling is telling me? Cate Blanchett was terrific in “Blue Jasmine”, but probably will lose the Oscar for Best Actress solely because of this story. And that’s about it.

15. Kelly Taylor says:

Can this please stop???? STOP! Dylan Farrow claims to want to help those who have been sexually abused, but this is starting to border on self serving, and an airing of grievances—Woody has his say, and then Dylan fires back. ENOUGH ALREADY-!
    As a survivor of abuse myself, I feel I have earned the right to say THIS IS NOT HELPING!
    The only thing that helped was forgiveness.
    So please, media people, STOP!!!!

16. emsnews says:

The facts of the case supports the allegations that ALL the adults around Dylan let her down. The prosecutor wanted to ‘protect’ her by not putting her on the stand while the judge did protect her by cutting off all access to her so her ‘father’ couldn’t continue assaulting her. But everyone let Dylan down by not forcing Allen to face reality.

Allen’s marriage is destructive and dangerous because he talked Mia’s adopted daughter into adopting more children which is very, very alarming. This has to be investigated because it seems to be ongoing today thanks to these adoptions.

I was a victim of physical child rape and had to be surgically restored to partial functionality and the man who did this wasn’t discovered until 40 years later when he suddenly confessed to me and then died seven days later.

17. megansspark says:

There are two reasonable options to close this…. for the pair (Woody and Dylan) to meet as two adults and talk. The other option is to part ways and get on with life, never looking back, because victimhood is no way to life. It’s over, get on with it. But since when are people reasonable? Moments of this story have been surreal, almost like something from one of Allen’s films– the statue in Spain defaced, and I saw a person make online comments reminding Woody that ‘Sinatra could reach out from the grave’. But the sadness and lack of resolution are very much reality, and I am sorry for them.

18. Fritz Kohle says:

The Truth is not much help when you need inner peace and reconciliation with your father. What is more important ?

• Tina Pomeroy says:

As long as one party is in denial of the Truth, there can be no peace or reconciliation. Facing the truth is absolutely essential here between perpetrator and victim.

19. Martin says:

So she has the truth. Humankind has been seeking it for thousands of years since the Hebrews and the Greek, but this child has the truth. Finally. I can rest in peace.

20. Gerd says:

“Attacking my family”……Uhmm you leave him with no other choice honey…..the fact that he still speaks fondly of you is a miracle. If Mia Farrows career wasn’t dead already it is now…..sad legacy to go down with.

21. Bruce Elder says:

No one will ever know the truth. All we do know is that this “He says” “She says” achieves nothing and that too many people, all of whom do not know the facts, seem eager to pass judgement. Only Dylan and Woody know the truth – one is telling the truth, the other is telling lies or is delusional. We will never know.

22. Lisa Norton says:

You poor deluded child. It does you no good to continue this private matter in public. Also the link you provide as further evidence of your story – something written by highly respected journalists – links to nothing. It’s kind of a metaphor for this whole thing. You’re not to blame, but stories like this make it all the more impossible for those wrongly accused to clear themselves and children manipulated during custody battles differ between reality and fiction. It would bode the media well to stop publishing these messages between the family. The Farrow camp can continue to babble on Twitter as they wish.

• Robyn Wh. says:

Miss Farrow is not a child she is a grown women, who are you to imply or give credence and contradiction to what she is thinking, “how dare you Lisa Norton”

• Lisa Norton says:

I was referring to Dylan herself as this latest piece is from her. The evidence at the time the allegations were brought and investigation speak for themselves. This is really their personal matter and public comment should end, including my own.

23. Robyn Wh. says:

Dylan your response is admirable, do not see lies as torment take them as an affirmation to give you
    continued strength and purpose toward Justice. The worst is over, you claimed your truth and sanity.