Dwayne Johnson Says He’ll Play Role in ‘Shazam’

Dwayne Johnson
Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Dwayne Johnson has stated that he will play a role in an upcoming Warner Bros. and DC Comics movie about the superhero Shazam, according to the Associated Press.

However, the question of which role he will play is still up for debate. During a news conference in Mexico City to promote “Hercules,” Johnson told AP that he has not decided whether to portray hero Shazam or his enemy, Black Adam. He added that his favorite DC Comics character is Black Adam.

“I am putting my heart and soul and my bones into this role,” Johnson said.

Warner Bros. had no comment about the AP report and Johnson’s reps did not return requests for comment. However, Johnson dropped a couple of hints last month about the film.

“There’s a character out there that we’re gonna announce very soon that I’m gonna play, and I’ll just say this — it’s the power of Superman,” Johnson told  Total Film magazine. “This character has the power of Superman, he can throw down — just say the word, that’s all I’m gonna say.”

A few days later, Johnson tweeted a drawing of Shazam, Black Adam and Superman.

The studio has not confirmed whether there will be a stand-alone Shazam movie or whether the character will appear in one of the other planned DC adaptations.

On Aug. 6, Warner Bros. set the dates for nine superhero movies based on DC characters. The first film will be “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice,” out March 25, 2016.

The Shazam character originated in 1939 in a story about a boy named Billy Batson who acquires the wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules, the stamina of Atlas, the power of Zeus, the courage of Achilles and the speed of Mercury by saying the word “Shazam.”

1. LISAROCKS says:

WE NEED CHRISTOPHER LLOYD TO PLAY THE WIZARD!!!!!! LET’S GET THE WORD OUT TO DJ!!!

2. DJ must play Black Adam, he was born to, if he plays Shazam, it will be a wasteful miscast.

3. Stacie Gardner says:

Dwayne Johnson? Yes, hello. Allow me to for warn you. DO NOT ASK ANYTHING FROM ANYONE (female) WHO WORKED OPERATIONS AND SETTLEMENTS RE: OPERATION DESERT STORM, an unneccessary WAR that THE AMERICANS LOST, lost before the start. I am in completion of my furtherance of assignment, I was hired by ALL FOREIGN COUNTRIES to assist in fix and repair of THE TITANIC FLEECE of 200 WAR SHIPS of CRUISE,that’s the remake of 200 forreign countries. I received nothing by foreign admnistration, medication, support, training……All to come home to face ROTTEN SPOILED LAZY AMERICANS, needing to be trained to HOLD THEIR PEACE. None of you americans did job duty. USA is a ‘market place, foreign and domestic’ all foreigners have passports to do business in regard to inport export intl trades, re: WORLD REVENUE. I hiked, I bused, I walked, ALONE. God didn’t multiply me with the Americans, God mulitplied my WILD LIFE and SEA LIFE around the world, a promise from God re: HUMAN ERROR. Americans are those humans in error. Do no call me for food,clothes,shelter,water,cattle…..go somewhere else. I am not your international correspondance, I had to international to correspond for myself. I HAD NO ASSISTANCE FROM AMERICANS, find your rent paying foreigner to apologize to an beg for food. Doe the americans want the liability of a 375billion world law suit? Then shut up. You didn’t serve or go to school, no foreiner faught any war for you. You are all confined to live your CLIFF MOUNTAIN America, for what you earned to be free, POSSOM STEW, get out of my quarters.

4. DAVID BROOKS says:

I just want to see Captain Marvel on the big screen.

5. There is NO superhero called Shazam. Shazam is the name of the old man (wizard) who gave young Billy the power to transform to Captain Marvel by calling the old man’s name. (It’s actually an anagram of his powers.)

6. Tom Stewart says:

His name isn’t Shazam, it’s Captain Marvel, and has been since Whiz Comics #2, 1940.

7. Leon Long says:

PLAY BLACK ADAM! Shazam is a cool super hero with a ton of power but he ain’t bad ass. You can play bad ass in your sleep. Shazam doesn’t need an actor with a mean streak, Black Adam does. The ability to put on a mean mug and just rip into someone is what seperates you from that jabroni, John Cena… Plus Black Adam is of Egyptian decent which makes your look perfect for it. Last but not least, you know what makes a good storyline is when the audience has some doubt in the good guy’s ability to beat the bad guy. If you’re Shazam whoever plays Black Adam will not pose a believable threat to you. However, if you’re Black Adam, people will not only buy it when you lay the smackdown on Shazam, the pop from the crowd, if he manages to beat you, will be heard from outer space!

8. Ryan says:

His name is Captian Marvel. Shazam is what he says to turn from a kid Billy into Captian Marvel.

9. warfreak99 says:

In a DC film called Superman/Shazam:Return of Black Adam
    Black Adam stated to Superman about their equalness and powers

10. Curt says:

His name is Captain marvel not shazam

11. Phong says:

I think he should play role in “Black adam” :)))

12. Shazamyourcandyass says:

Worst casting EVER , if true…

13. auriculum says:

DJ as Black Adam?

PERFECT CASTING.

Let’s hope the rumor is true.

• John says:

It was until they officially changed it recently due to a licensing issue. Marvel actually holds the rights to the name currently, so DC officially made the change a couple of years ago.

14. Liam Scanlan says:

What Dwayne Johnson doesn’t realize is that green-screen technology allows him to easily play BOTH Shazam AND Black Adam!
    What an idiot!