Will Dominic Monaghan play a Jedi in the upcoming “Star Wars: Episode VII”? Probably not, but the actor has talked to his “Lost” exec producer J.J. Abrams about appearing in the film.
“Give me a lightsaber, I’ll do anything,” Monaghan told DweebCast earlier this week.
As expected, Monaghan also confirmed that the movie will feature unknown actors.
“We’ve talked a few times about it,” he said about a possible role. “(Abrams) said ‘We’re putting together a cast of unknowns. We want to follow the ’77 New Hope cast because obviously Harrison Ford wasn’t well known at that point, Mark Hamill wasn’t and Carrie Fisher wasn’t either.”
According to Monaghan, the director, whose also producing with Bryan Burk and Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy, doesn’t want a big star who will distract audiences from the story.
“What he said was, ‘We don’t want to fall into that mistake of people going, ‘Oh, it’s that guy from that thing!’ and then you’re completely out of the Star Wars universe,'” he said.
Hopefully no one will say “Oh, it’s the guy from ‘Girls'” about Adam Driver, who will play a villain in the vein of Darth Vader in the pic.
Disney was tight-lipped about the upcoming “Star Wars” during its CinemaCon presentation on Wednesday. All Disney chairman Alan Horn said was that the film will be set “30 years after Episode 6” and will feature a trio of young leads.