David Oyelowo to Star With Lupita Nyong’o in ‘Americanah’ (EXCLUSIVE)

David Oyelowo Americanah Lupita Nyongo
Getty Images

Having already secured a Golden Globe nomination for his work in “Selma,” David Oyelowo is looking to set up his future slate.

Sources tell Variety that Oyelowo is set to co-star with Lupita Nyong’o in the indie drama “Americanah.”

Based on the Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie novel, the story follows a pair of young Nigerian immigrants who face a lifetime of struggle while their relationship endures.

Brad Pitt is producing through his Plan B production banner along with Nyong’o and Andrea Calderwood. Plan B produced “Selma,” and after having such a good experience working with them, Oyelowo jumped at the opportunity to board another project they were producing.

The film is now looking to attach a writer and director, with no production start date set yet.

Oyelowo has a busy end of the year, with “Interstellar,” “Selma” and “A Most Violent Year” all bowing in the last month.  He is expected to be in the Oscars conversation for his performance in “Selma,” and he can be seen next in the indie “Captive” opposite Kate Mara.

1. Bibiana Sumano says:

I love the book, it is a great story, actual and modern, lots of inmigrants can relate. I just need to said that the Spanish translation is horrible!! The Spanish translator used lots of Iberic slangs and it make the reading odious. Please change the translator in your next book.

2. joey prince says:

I’d love Genevieve Nnaji (Nigerian actress) to play d role of ifemelu.she depicts d character very much!

3. Jane Mars says:

I’m cool with the actors. I think the description of the book in this article is ridiculous. “…The story follows a pair of young Nigerian immigrants who face a lifetime of struggle while their relationship endures.” A lifetime of struggle? He struggles while he’s in England, but not after he goes back home, and she’s fine after the first few years in the US…hardly a lifetime of struggle–and they are in their, what, thirties at the end? Rich, comfortable, etc. by your thirties is not quite so melodramatic.

4. I’m excited for this film! As what I read here http://goo.gl/IWbm4P Lupita Nyongo is one of the faces that you should look out for this year but I think David Oyelowo should also be included in the list. He’s been doing great movies lately and I admit I really love to see him more in a big screen and I’m glad about this news that they’ll be together in this movie. This should come out so soon! Can’t wait!

5. cinemaouttakes says:

Reblogged this on Cinemaouttakes.

6. szczecin.pl says:

Bo urzad skarbowy zablokowal moje konto.

7. Kearabetsoe Thamae says:

It was captivating book. Lupita’s proven to be an amazing individual, I think she might understand the struggle of Ifem. I’m excited to see what the film will be like.

8. Dim says:

@Kate no one cared about the book seriously? Must you shown that mug ignorance all because the platform is free for all?
    I a green with who Lupita’s acting Ifemelu. I think she’s an awesome actress so this will be a challenge I can’t wait to see.
    If I was to direct, after reading the book I see Ifemelu has no looks attachable to all beautiful Lupita.
    Ifemelu can’t be a slim beauty queen, she’s one I imagine as being a bit plumpy, with short hair st some point, funny but insightful. She’s not as dark as Lupita but not a fair bleaching queen.. She’s the generic Igbo girl you can find in any south east Nigerian city..

• Ace says:

True… I doubt if she can depict that “Nigerian Igbo Girl” characteristic of Ifem. But let’s see how it goes 😊

9. flawed73 says:

Reblogged this on Flaws and commented:
    Uhhhh Hell No! WTF …. Oh Lawd where should i even begin? First of all brad pitt? seriously? No other producer? Well, he’s going to need a lot of help in translating half of the book and then David Oyelowo? I mean i like his work and he did a goo job in the winnie mandela movie but i hope he can surprise me again. Now lupita? i mean if it’s publicity they want, i think they’ve got it already, this is not just three or four scenes in a slave movie, ifemelu is the whole book and while i’m not saying she’s a horrible actress, i think there are other equally talented actress that would best interpret this character. Again, a big “Serves you right” for all of you that haven’t read the book cause with this i can’t assure you the movie will be anywhere close.

• Kate says:

Lupita is a Yale drama grad actress who can speak 5 different languages. She will slay this role and if you have a problem with it, oh well. Lupita will still be lead at the end of the day. No one cared about the book until Lupita came along, faux outrage to say the least and just wanted to hate on her. Until you can come up with the money to buy the rights to the book from her, your opinion will always be worthless.

• Iyesatu says:

Exactly my thoughts having read the book and understanding the characters. Love Lupita but I don’t think she is the best actress to play Ifemelu!

10. She’s beautiful. but the name is somewhat difficult to pronounce.

11. Alex Durham says:

I’ll write it if you want.

12. Ahsoka says: