Star Wars Logo

“Chronicle” and “Fantastic Four”-helmer Josh Trank will direct a standalone “Star Wars” movie, Lucasfilm and Disney have announced.

The subject of the movie has not been revealed, but would feature characters from the “Star Wars” universe and not be part of the upcoming trilogy, starting with next year’s “Star Wars: Episode VII” that J.J. Abrams is currently lensing.

Trank’s deal follows Lucasfilm’s hiring of “Godzilla’s” Gareth Edwards to direct a separate standalone “Star Wars” adventure.

Disney has previously said it wants to release a new “Star Wars” film every year, following “Star Wars: Episode VII,” out Dec. 18, 2015. Last month, Disney chief Bob Iger said the company and Lucasfilm plan to produce three more films and “at least” three spinoffs over the next decade.

SEE ALSO: Disney CEO Sees Growth in the Movie Business

“We’re thrilled to welcome Josh into the family,” said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “He is such an incredible talent and has a great imagination and sense of innovation. That makes him perfectly suited to Star Wars, and for this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX.”

“The magic of the ‘Star Wars’ universe defined my entire childhood,” Trank said. “The opportunity to expand on that experience for future generations is the most incredible dream of all time.”

Trank is currently lensing “The Fantastic Four” for 20th Century Fox, scheduled to be released on June 19, 2015, with a sequel set for July 14, 2017. Film stars Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell and Miles Teller.

Trank is repped by WME and Management 360.

Filed Under:

Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
Post A Comment 19