Christine Baranski Opens Up About Husband’s Death: ‘It’s Been Tough’

christine baranski

“Good Wife” star Christine Baranski opened up for the first time about the death of her husband, Matthew Cowles, who passed away last May at 69. Cowles was an actor best known for his role as Billy Clyde Tuggle on “All My Children.”

“It’s been a tough year,” Baranski told Variety at the world premiere of her film “Into the Woods” on Monday night. “I lost extraordinary people in my life, but I have a beautiful grandson, my wonderful ‘Good Wife’ colleagues and the beautiful people associated with the film here tonight.”

Baranksi plays Cinderella’s stepmother in the Rob Marshall adaptation based on the Stephen Sondheim musical.

“The real challenge when you do a Sondheim musical is first and foremost singing the score,” Baranski said. “You got to hit the pitches, the rhythms and the harmonies. I would practice going up and down the stairwell of the ‘Good Wife,’ and all my colleagues, especially Julianna [Margulies], knew all the music because the acoustics in the stairwell sounded like a good shower.”

“Into the Woods” opens on Christmas Day.

1. Lisa anders says:

Love her. Thank you for bringing her beautiful face to your magazine
    As for Meryl Street,, I will NEVER purchase your magazine if I see her in it.
    She should take a lesson from Christine and learn what REAL CLASS TRULY IS!!!!

2. RJ says:

Thank you for your talent. I have watched you for 20 years and you always give 100% If I am lucky to be in a place where you are performing I would enjoy seeing you live. Be well live well

3. BC says:

I have always been fascinated by Christine. She is always the best actor in anything she chooses to be in. A nice added plus, she’s always the most beautiful. Christine totally captures me and I would watch her do anything, even sipping coffee in the morning.

4. bumble bee says:

P.S.
    Big Fan C.B.!
    You always make me laugh! ;)

5. bumble bee says:

God Bless you sweetie! I had not heard he passed? So Sorry.

6. Cedar says:

” Christine Baranski opened up for the first time about the death of her husband”

Boy, what a writer. Such depth. Very ‘deep’ interview. Variety should be proud.

7. I would hardly call one sentence, opening up. She is one of my favorite actresses, and I am sad for her loss.

• michael Anthony says:

If these are her first public comments on her husband, she did indeed open up. It’s not the length that matters. In s way, your comment is totally inappropriate. Everyone reacts to death differently. Perhaps her few words were all she could manage.

8. YouGotToBeKiddingMe says:

Allow the love from family and friends to get you through these hard times.

9. Hang in there, Christine. I’ve loved you for years.

10. Nick Turner says:

This lady is so gifted. Anyone remember the Law and Order ep where she was the mob wife? She listened as the DA played a wire tap of her own brother ordering a hit on her husband. “Give him a buzz.” Her internally devastated moment, communicated just with a catch in her breath, turning instantly to icy composure (as she silently vows revenge) followed by steely scarcasm and defiance. “What do you think it means, Mr. Stone.?” All in a few seconds. Unforgettable. Brilliant.

11. Pendit 1 says:

Ms. Baranski seems to be a class act and I know from her work how talented she is. I’m so sorry sorry to hear of her loss. I wish her good health, strength and continued success. I always look forward to her appearances on the large and small screen.

12. Jeremy says:

She really didn’t open up that much. I can understand it’s been very difficult, but she really didn’t touch on it very much. She’s a very private person, I guess, and that’s understandable. I have been a fan for years and I wish her well.

13. Maria Coutroubaki says:

She can do comedy, she can do drama, she can sing and dance. An all-around wonderful actress — love her!

14. Evelyn S. says:

So sorry for her loss. Wonderful actress. Loved her in Mamma Mia!

15. Duckhomie says:

This woman has made me laugh out loud more than any other…Godspeed.

16. cmaglaughlin says:

She is sooooooo talented!

17. I adore Christine Baranski. What a trooper!