Christian Bale Drops Out of Steve Jobs Biopic

Christian Bale Out of Steve Jobs-Biopic
Tim P. Whitby/Getty Images

After early discussions to play the Apple founder, Christian Bale has decided to part ways with the Steve Jobs biopic at Sony.

While negotiations were never fully under way, sources tell Variety that Bale had talks with director Danny Boyle about taking on the role, but a deal never came to fruition. The news comes almost two weeks after the biopic’s screenwriter, Aaron Sorkin, told Bloomberg that Bale was a lock for the part of Jobs. ““We needed the best actor on the board in a certain age range and that’s Chris Bale,” he said. “It’s an extremely difficult part and he’s gonna crush it.”

Sony will now look to find its replacement after Bale and Leonardo DiCaprio both passed on the part. The studio is in discussions with Seth Rogen to play Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

Scott Rudin, Mark Gordon and Guymon Casady are producing.

Bale is in negotiations to play Travis McGee in Fox’s “The Deep Blue Goodbye” and can be seen next in Fox’s “Exodus: Gods and Kings.” He is repped by WME.

1. Sharknado99 says:

Another movie about Steve Jobs? I know he had a huge ego and thought very highly of himself but do we really need to have another movie about him? He is not that interesting.

2. lmp says:

ed norton

3. Mac N. Tosh says:

Depp is quirky enough to play the role

4. John Edwards says:

I do not know you. Ive never met you. But, What I do know is that I very particular set of skill, skill that make me a nightmare for you people. If I get this part know harm will come to you. I will let it go and you will be fine but, If I don’t get the part I will find, I will catch you, and I will kill you.

5. John T. says:

“The studio is in discussions with Seth Rogen to play Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.”

Yeah, that’s probably why Bale dropped out. Haha!

6. Susan says:

Danny worked with Benedict Cumberbatch on Frankenstein, and Cumberbatch is fantastic at geniuses.

7. Pavel Siska says:

How about to hire Daniel Day Lewis?

8. Katie says:

Adrien Brody

9. Brad says:

Steve Jobs is really not that interesting. Just because he was a tortured millionaire despotic boss does not him worthy of two movies, maybe not even one movie.

10. sr says:

Why? There is absolutely no need to to another pic about Steve Jobs. It will be a bust, a bomb, a waste of talent and money. The only ones who will make a buck will be the producers. Walk away from this project. No one cares to see another one about Jobs. No one.

• Grey says:

No one? I want to see another film about Steve Jobs – I want to see a good film about Steve Jobs so I can forget the Ashton Kutcher version. With Aaron Sorkin as screenwriter and Danny Boyle directing it’s almost certain this version will deliver the goods. I didn’t think a film about the founding of Facebook would be interesting but The Social Network was excellent, thanks largely to Sorkin’s script.

11. Julian says:

Bummer. I actually think he’s a great choice. Reconsider Christian…