Channing Tatum Confirmed As Gambit In ‘X-Men’ Spinoff Movie

channing tatum gambit

Channing Tatum is officially set to play Gambit in an upcoming “X-Men” spinoff movie, sources confirm.

Producer Lauren Shuler Donner spoke about the character at the “X-Men: Days of Future Past” premiere in London.

“He’s a rogue, Channing — he’s a rascal, just like Remy LeBeau. And he can handle the action, we all know that,” she told Total Film. “And he’s got a really good heart … I think he’ll be great for Gambit.”

Donner added, “And he’s a southerner too … he understands that world, and you know Gambit loves New Orleans.”

Tatum is following in the footsteps of Hugh Jackman, who has headlined two standalone “Wolverine” spinoffs, with a third currently set for release in 2017. The critically derided “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” (which featured Taylor Kitsch as Gambit) grossed $373 million worldwide, while 2013’s “The Wolverine” drew approximately $415 million and fared better among pundits.

Tatum had previously expressed interest in the role, telling MTV, “Gambit is the only X-Man I’ve ever loved. I mean, I’ve loved them all, they’re all great, but I guess just being from down South; my dad’s from Louisiana, I’m from Mississippi, Alabama, Florida. I don’t know, I just related to him … I would die to play him.”

Donner recently hinted at plans for Gambit and Deadpool (played by Ryan Reynolds in “X-Men Origins”) to star in their own spinoffs, while screenwriter Simon Kinberg expressed desire for Jennifer Lawrence’s Mystique to receive a solo outing too.

“X-Men: Days of Future Past” opens in theaters on May 23. A planned sequel, “X-Men: Apocalypse” is scheduled for release on May 27, 2016.

1. Heidi Dobson says:

i hope Channing can pull this off. Personally, I think that someone like Christian Kane would have been a better choice.

2. Ray-El says:

Seriously? They may as well have hired Taylor Swift to play Gambit. Either way, they have guaranteed that I won’t be going to see that movie.

3. Hexkat says:

Taylor Kitsch should have gotten his own Gambit movie. But they never listen to the fans. :(

4. Thom Hitz says:

Awful. Kitsch did a great job, no reason they shouldnt have him continue the role.

5. We’ve been wanting a great actor to play Gambit for a long time. Check out what we had to say on our blog on why Marvel needs to make a Gambit movie. http://thepopcornwhiskey.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/top-5-films-needed-in-the-marvel-universe/

6. No.. I don’t agree in this.. Taylor Kitsch is the original gambit in Wolverine, why not him? AGHHHHHH! I’m a fan of Channing Tatum, but I think Taylor Kitsch would be the perfect gambit since he already played it. Jesus! My feels..

7. Gaspard Ulliel would have been perfect. He’s already got the hair and the accent…well close enough. lol

8. Katheriine says:

i like the original gambit. no offense…..I like Taylor Kitsch. He’s gambit. like no one else can play wolverine…..sorry. just my opinion. I love tatum but i’ll pass on this.

9. Blueringedcephalopodofchaos says:

The most enduring mystery of 1990’s comicdom has finally been solved: What is up with Gambit’s strange headgear?
    It’s to disguise the fact that he has no neck.

10. Yawar says:

Um, sorry, but CT is more of a goofy ladies’ man. No disrespect, but a rogue he ain’t.

For Gambit, the perfect choice is Ian Somerhalder: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0813812/?ref_=nv_sr_1 (Louisiana native, the right looks and body type, proven ability to play roguish, mysterious, etc.). Sometimes the execs need to look outside of their self-created bubbles….

11. thatmovieyousee says:

Reblogged this on That Movie You See.

12. How this talentless moron even got into movies in the first place is beyond logical comprehension. If their goal was to cast the most wooden, (not even going to say he’s a bad actor, because that would imply he could act at a least a little) wrong-look-for-the-part, clearly-chosen-by-a-horny-Danielle-Steele-reading-middle-aged woman idiot for a role they already filled fairly well in Wolverine, then goal achieved. Way to go, Lauren Donner, you MORON! This will be the first X-Men movie I will NOT see. First they ruined G.I.Joe with this dingleberry and now X-Men.

• shaharaperil says:

I could not agree more. I don’t get his appeal at all. He was so horrendously boring in G.I.Joe, I thought someone was playing a cruel joke on me while watching it. Who is he blackmailing in Hollywood to get all these lead roles? He must have some good dirt on a lot of people.

• Katheriine says:

Hey easy. im 40 and i like the other gambit….geez….lol……But i do agree. first x men i wont go see……This guy has no place in an x men movie…….

13. Jim says:

Fox, Sony and Warner Bros are all getting a little too gung ho about copying what Marvel did with the shared cinematic universe. Now, they are casting actors for characters when there isn’t even a script or role for the character yet, lol. Maybe if these other studios concentrated more on the movie they are currently making instead of spending all their time focused on setting up future movies, then they’d put out a better product like Marvel Studios does.

14. J W says:

Channing Tatum is not the right choice. Gambit is supposed to be tall and lean and have a chiseled slim face, all of which Channing does not have. I think they were just going for who is popular at the moment and hope it will draw the viewers. Well, this is one movie that I already know i won’t like. I love the character Gambit and was hoping they would do a movie with him someday, but I guess I will still have to wait for that movie, but Channing Tatum as Gambit is just a joke….

15. Rhearons says:

NO! Gambit is in my top 3 X Men and I really loved Taylor Kitsch as Gambit in X Men Origins: Wolverine. I mean just look at Channing Tatum, He’s stocky and muscular – No way can he portray the lean elegant Gambit (Plus I doubt that he would suit long hair!) Urgh just another big star cast to draw in his fans and raise box office ratings. Stick to Rom-Coms and Get Taylor Kitsch back!

16. Grant says:

No. Just no. As miscasting goes this is up there.

17. No no no no no just stop. you already ruined him once. Josh Holloway playing him OR NO ONE

18. StarMeg says:

This is just a bad idea over all :/ I like him as an actor but in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM do I see him as the smooth talking, sexy Gambit..ever.

19. Rynosaur says:

So, they don’t add Gambit for “Days of Future Past”, which originally involved him as the main character of that plot, and decide to add him afterward. smh.

• Gambit (1990) didn’t even EXIST when the Days of Future Past comic debuted (1981). You’re confused.

• Knowledgebase says:

Syh somewhere else, man. Gambit didn’t even exist when Days of Future Past was printed. The comic was printed in 1981, Gambit wasn’t introduced until the 1990. I know that all you kids loved your Saturday morning cartoons, but don’t be mad that a character isn’t included in a story line that came out 10 years before the character was even thought of, and then act like you know something about the comic. I know you kids don’t take time to learn anything in schools anymore, but you can’t even educate yourself on the fun stuff? Smh.

20. Natashia says:

I don’t understand why they keep changing celebs? It’s fucking annoying. Keep Taylor Kitch, and why two different versions of Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver? It’s all Marvel. Honestly.

• Jim says:

X-men movie rights are owned by Fox. Fox makes those movies…not Marvel. There is no Scarlet Witch in the X-men movies. Fox decided to add Quicksilver after it was announced that Quicksilver would be in the Avengers 2. Two different studios though, so they are going to cast their own actors. Kitsch was in the Wolverine movie 5 years ago and that was basically a stand-alone movie. He wasn’t under some sort of franchise contract for multiple movies so who knows if he even wanted to return. Regardless, now that Singer is back in charge of the X-men franchise for Fox, he has basically ignored that Wolverine Origins movie because it had about 100 continuity conflicts with the rest of the X-men movies. So it’s not surprising that they would want different actors for any characters that were portrayed in that movie.

• No way he was horrible. Didn’t even have the accent or the height. Josh Holloway or no one

21. Normandy says:

oh god no-he’s not a godo actor-the thought of him trying a cajun accent-terrifying

22. mirna says:

What happened to Taylor Kitsch, he was great and sooooo much sexier that Channing!

23. Corther says:

i think this is great news. Channing is sexy, which means he’ll bring in a female audience. He’s got charm. He’s got swagger. He can move. He’s a big name. He’s got comedic timing. Saying that Taylor Kitsch was the best thing of Wolverine: Origins doesn’t mean he was really that great. I remember when the movie came out, and people were hating all over him. And he obviously isn’t a big enough name to draw crowds, as both the movies he headlined flopped.

• Katheriine says:

Oh you think so huh? not this female….not any of the other females i see on this message board. Taylor is gambit as much as hugh is wolverine (and god bless who ever made that decision..meow) Tatum …oh god…..hell no i won’t go…..

• “Channing is sexy, which means he’ll bring in a female audience”

Uhm, sorry. But, no. Speaking as a woman, I find him to be both unattractive and a no-talent hack. Believe it or not, many other women also feel the same way.

Speaking as a fan of The Ragin’ Cajun, there is no way in bloody blue hell this muscle-bound piece of over-rated offal could /ever/ do Remy LeBeau justice. Period. He doesn’t even /look/ like him. Every single X-men/Gambit fan I personally know — female or otherwise — is likewise about ready to pitch a fit over this casting. I am /very/ much not the only one.

I have been /waiting/ for this movie to come out since Gambit was first introduced. Twenty-four years is a long damned time to wait to end up this disappointed. :(

As for involvement in Days of Future Past, yes there will be a lot of younger X-Men fans who will be confused by the skewing of the timelines/story arcs to fit the Future Tense episodes of the original cartoon. That’s no reason to be rude to them, those who’ve snapped about them being “kids” who can’t bother to “educate themselves”. Some people aren’t as fanatical. Deal with it.

Age of Apocalypse is likely a factor in some of their confusion, as well, given Gambit’s stint as a Horseman, and the part he and his X-ternals later play in saving the world, in that arc.

…… oh, dears gods! Does this mean we’ll possibly have to suffer Tatum-as-Gambit /more/ than once? -head/desk-

• Katheriine says:

hes not unattractive at all. He just is a HUGE miscast. I dont think he’s a very good actor either and this movie is going to bomb. Wish the PTB would actually listen..we dont want him as Gambit…..ever…you will lose a ton of fans.

• J W says:

Sorry, but Channing is nto the right choice here, so what if he has comedic timing and is a big name. He does not fit the part of a tall lean mysterious man who has a face to die for and eyes that melt your soul. That is what Gambit should look like and Channing is not that person. But neither was Taylor Kitsch.
      Gambit has a mysterious side, so they should have given this part to a somewhat unknown actor, who was equally mysterious.

24. Lexus says:

Bad casting.I wont be watching it ever,EVER!

25. lotrfan says:

Terrible casting! They should have let Taylor Kitsch play Gambit again.

26. Watto says:

Really, Taylor Kitsch isn’t good enough ?

27. Mike says:

The only thing good about X-Men Origins: Wolverine, was Taylor Kitsch’s portrayal of Gambit. I’ll reserve judgment on Tatum as Gambit, until I actually see him in the movie.

28. Rich Galuppi says:

Shame. I think Tatum will do well but Taylor Kitsch’s Gambit was the best part of the Wolverine movie. Just goes to show you that Hollywood is only concerned about casting “flavors of the month” rather than actors that might better fit the roles. I guess Taylor Kitsch is old news, especially after his last two films were box office dissapoinmnets even though, I happened to like “John Carter”.

• Katheriine says:

yes and kate and leapold was award winning for Hugh Jackman…….I was embarrassed FOR him….Taylor is great actor….and he played off Jackman well. if they are going to spin off….at least Taylor can act.