CANNES: Salma Hayek Presenting ‘Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet’ as Work-in-Progress

Selma Hayek The Prophet Cannes

Cannes Film Festival has set an Official Selection work-in-progress screening of the animated feature “Khalil Gibran’s The Prophet” on Saturday.

The screening will feature highlights from the film and be presented by producer Salma Hayek-Pinault and director Roger Allers (“The Lion King”).

The story portrays the unlikely friendship between a young mischievous girl and an imprisoned poet.

The event will also include animation directors involved with the film: Tomm Moore (“The Secret of Kells”), Joan Gratz (“Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase”), Joann Sfar (“The Rabbi’s Cat”), Bill Plympton (“In Your Face”), and Paul and Gaetan Brizzi (“The Hunchback of Notre Dame”). Composer Gabriel Yared will also participate.

Wild Bunch International is handling international sales at Cannes, excluding North America, which will be sold by Participant Media.

The film includes the voices of Hayek-Pinault, Liam Neeson, John Krasinski, Frank Langella, Alfred Molina and Quvenzhane Wallis. Producers are Hayek-Pinault, Clark Peterson, Jose Tamez and Ron Senkowski.

Participant Media is financing along with Doha Film Institute, FFA Private Bank, MyGroup Lebanon, Financiere Pinault, and Code Red Productions.

1. Carla Gomes says:

Khalil Gibran’s masterpiece “The Prophet” is my favorite of all books, but unless the screenwriters are fantasizing to fill in a “poor plot” – the book is merely a collection of a Prophet’s teachings as he says good-bye to the small community where he’s lived for many years – or I missed something, there IS no portrayal of an “unlikely friendship between a young mischievous girl and an imprisoned poet” in the book. Again I may have missed something… maybe a few pages of some abridged version? Or some underlying meaning in the Prophet’s teachings?

Puzzled

• Serena says:

My pleasure, Carla. I hope you and everyone else enjoys it!
      Cheers.

• Serena says:

Hi, I helped create the movie from the artistic side of things and I can tell you that to present the beautiful writings in the book, it was adapted by a few people including Roger Allers for the screen by developing a plot not entirely found in the book.

• Carla Gomes says:

Ok, thank you for clearing that up, for me and for thousands of The Prophet’s fans. I’m sure “a plot” will make it much more appealing to the movie goers, and the professionals involved in its making will be able to present Gibran’s beautiful and meaningful writings in a dignified, interesting and enlightening way.
        All the best!

2. Veronica D. Acosta says:

I can’t wait for this…..one of my most admired and favorite writers (although Gibran is so much more than that) and produced and performed by some great artists but particularly Selma whom I adore and have tons of respect for both because of her skills and her oftentimes gutsy roles. As well as her industry groundbreaking choices in what she devotes her many talents to (i.e. not too many sex symbols are willing to humble themselves by growing a unibrow for the sake of showcasing one of the pioneering female minority artists of the 20th century, Freida). Often, in times of mental anguish/ emotional turmoil as well as joy/success and feelings of contentment in life… I have looked to the inspiring words of Gibran (between his writings, the writings of the Sufi poets and Rumi I have often found exactly what it was that I needed to hear at that time to sooth my soul). Thank you Selma for your artistic contributions..I look forward to enjoying this most recent accomplishment of yours!!!!!!!

3. Caroline Goodell says:

This is so exciting!!

4. seejaynix says:

I would like to mention that Bardel Entertainment Inc was the studio that did a majority of the actual production work and deserves to be recognized as such.