‘Battlestar Galactica’ Movie Gets New Life at Universal (EXCLUSIVE)

Battlestar Galatica Movie

Universal is ramping up a movie version of the sci-fi franchise “Battlestar Galactica,” aiming to develop the film as a complete reimagining of the story.

“Transcendence” writer Jack Paglen has signed on to write the screenplay. Paglen has also committed to Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus” sequel for Fox that will start production this fall.

Original series creator Glen Larson will produce the “Battlestar Galactica” film.

There have been four “Galactica” TV series (including the brief “Galactica 1980” and “Caprica”). The first, starring Lorne Greene and Richard Hatch, ran during the 1978-79 season and was centered on humans engaged in a lengthy war against a cybernetic race known as the Cylons while searching for Earth.

In 2003, a reimagined “Battlestar Galactica” miniseries aired on Sci Fi Channel. The series, starring Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell, went on to run for four seasons.

In 2009, speculation emerged that Bryan Singer was attached to direct a “Battlestar Galactica” movie.

Universal’s exec VP of production Scott Bernstein and director of development Jay Polidoro are overseeing the latest version of “Battlestar Galactica” for the studio.

Warner Bros. will open “Transcendence,” starring Johnny Depp, on April 18.

Paglen is represented by ICM Partners and Lichter Grossman Nichols Adler and Feldman. Larson is represented by the Lichtman Group, manager Denny Bond of Management 3 as well as attorneys Neville Johnson, Douglas Johnson and James Ryan of Johnson & Johnson.

1. Mic says:

Glen Larson is dead, how old is this story? Died a year and a week ago.

2. robert leedom says:

i really want to see this movie

3. no no no… can’t they wait a few more decades before they decide to do another Battlestar Galactica? C’mon. The 2003 version was more than awesome! Who could top that kind of passion put on the series?
    I’m open to it having a better series ending but that’s it. It should have a better and more thought out ending/explanation or something but rebooting the whole story all over again? Big NO.

4. robert leedom says:

i really loved the battlestar galactica franchise.polish up the brand name and deliver the goods.this one movie that i am so excited to see.i love it all.i will see you at the movies.

5. robert leedom says:

i am really looking forward to seeing this new battlestar galactica film.

6. Ryan Kadlec says:

its not gonna be campy. The BSG film will be dedicated to the memory of the original series creator Glen A. Larson, who died of cancer last year.

7. robert leedom says:

i love battlestargalactica as a great scifi franchise.i love both series.i am looking forward so much to the big screen motion picture.i will see ya at the movies.

8. Mike Haluska says:

The producers of the latest version of BSG need to get Joss Whedon involved in the writing and directing. Seeing Nathan Fillion as a key character would be great also.

9. qballrail says:

I’m an admittedly “tried & true” fan of the cheesy original. That IS Battlestar Galactica, not this Sci-Fi Channel original series by the same name. Fans of the original (and REAL) series were completely disregarded with no closure. Been waiting 35 years for it, and, quite frankly, I think the fans of the original deserve some sort of real closure (Real BSG fans do not consider 1980 as part of the series). Admittedly, I have watched the DVD series a few times, and still find it enjoyable. Let me point out that the original’s uniqueness was the fact that mankind had to deal with the machines of another race, rather than our own creation running amok. Ratings were actually quite high back in the day and it still has quite a following even today. I won’t argue with anyone on the merits of either one.

Suffice it to say, this is what I would like to see and, although I hope the new movie, if ever conceived, will be based upon the original, I seriously doubt anything is moving forward. Since Larson’s death earlier this year (RIP), I heard that progress has stalled. :(

10. Jack Luz says:

I still say Universal should have revived the original. The re-imagined version with Edward James Olmos sucked.

• the forgetter says:

the new version sucked? That’s like saying “I Love Lucy” was better than Breaking Bad.

• Both the Classic and New series were good, I think more than likely what the problem is YOU. You did not watch it with a open mind. The new series was VERY good.

• Prometheus says:

There is a lot of unnecessary hostility from many fans of the original show, which was cancelled due to poor ratings. I like it too when it was on, but I was 7 years old, so my tastes have matured a little. I can understand the desire to adhere to the original, but there was a lot about the SciFi version that was very good. The story had to be adapted to create a complete circle and give it somewhere to go. The original was well conceived as a concept, but Larsen had no real end game. That’s why Galactica 1980 was such a turd.

The relationship between the Cylons of the SciFi version and the humans was a critical component of the story, and the source of a lot of great drama. Was the series perfect? No, or course not. But to openly disregard it because you can’t let go of the details of the original is a little wheels off. The SciFi version was considered one of the best shows on TV at the time, and the ratings for it dwarfed those of the original series. The original BSG was cancelled, twice … because the ratings were so bad. And it had Star Wars to help it (which created a renewed appreciation for science fiction).

There were a lot of great components of the original series that make it fun to go back and watch, but if you really are honest with yourself while you re-watch that original season, you can see the show struggling for a direction. And they had a hard time creating compelling space battles because of the reliance on recycled fight scenes. Even as a kid I noticed that.

I could go either way for the movie. I wouldn’t mind a complete reboot and more adherence to the original, as long as they do a good job and don’t go for campy. If they choose to follow some of the ideas from the SciFi version, I’m okay with that too. I don’t really care, as long as it’s good. I was an early critic of recasting Starbuck as a woman, but Katee Sackhoff did an amazing job in that role and the character had a lot more depth than the original version from the late 70s. Some things are not sacrosanct to the point they absolutely can’t change … and as a fan of comics and sci fi, you should be prepared to look at new versions objectively. Marvel has done a masterful job of translating characters from comics to film, but has taken some creative license with those characters that long time fans notice. However, they have done it well and with respect to the original property (which I would argue the SciFi BSG did for the original show) and the fans have been able to overlook those changes and enjoy it for what it is now.

In a lot of ways, the SciFi BSG was a better show than the original. Quibbling over the nature of the Cylons being untouchable or the gender (or race) of any particular character is such white noise. I though they did a fantastic job of developing the story between Apollo and Adama, and between Starbuck and Adama, and between Sharon and Athena and Carl … there were a lot of great drama elements to the series that just weren’t possible in the original. Yes, the original still has an appeal for fans like myself, but it was the original. It was the foundation. But I look at the SciFi version as having been deeply inspired by the original and yet still brave enough and creative enough to take the story in different directions that created compelling shows and engaged the audience in a new and enjoyable way.

For me, the SciFi BSG is one of the best shows that has been on TV in the last 2 decades. I can go back and watch it over and over again (and do every year). I still enjoy the original too, but for different reasons. It’s not a zero-sum game where you can only like one or the other. And if you don’t like the SciFi version, I can absolutely respect that … but nobody is forcing you to watch it.

I will expect any film that gets made will be different from either TV series, and hopefully will introduce new and compelling story arcs that blow me away the way the changes in the SciFi version did. I want to be surprised by the story. I want to get new things from the show or movie than I did in the original. Otherwise, why do it? You can re-watch the original and see all the same stuff over and over as long as you like. A reboot should be about taking the original and making it fresh and relevant for a modern audience. I hope the movie strays from both (I don’t count 1980 or Caprica) TV series and gives us something new again.

• the classic series was NOT cancelled due to poor ratings, it had good ratings, the reason it was cancelled was due to the high costs of producing it.

• Senmut says:

Sucked? That’s like saying WWII was not playing nice!

• anjinsan says:

So well said. I am a fan of the original as well but it was made in a different time and era. I also agree with your statement that there was no end game and if you read articles about what his intentions were for a 2nd season you would see that (assuming those articles are accurate). Although the ratings were decent, they weren’t enough to justify the cost of the show which of course was one of the reasons it was cancelled. I also was hesitant to watch the re-imagined series but once I got into it, I appreciated the deeper stories and character development that is simply expected these days from a good TV show. TV in the 70’s was just not the same. It does take viewing the newer series from a different perspective and like good sci-fi it makes you think about themes that are connected with what is happening in today’s society. I think the new series did a good job of this much like Star Trek did in the 60’s.

• Yes, we need to do a re-run of WWII

11. Jim says:

There are those who believe that life here began out there. Far across the universe. With tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltec’s, or the Mayans. Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man who even now fight to survive somewhere beyond the heavens.

12. Peter says:

I hope this time they keep with the original premise and epic feel rather than go with a cheapened vision like that rediculous show SciFi made.
    All I have to say to the fans of the SciFi show is if the original was good enough to base YOUR show off of, then it’s certainly good enough to reimage it into a new movie….having nothing whatsoever to do with the derivative work SciFi ended up with.

• Annah says:

the reimagined series as good as the original series. In my opinion, I found it to be better.

I saw the original series as a kid and again as an adult. It was good but goofy at times and its storyline never kept me engaged.

The reimagined series just simply blew me away. I watched it as part of a graduate ethics class and I ended up watching the entire season in a week. Yes….marathons. I never did that with the original series.

Again, the shows is up for individual tastes, but try to stay away from your armchair television criticism by calling the reimagined series as “cheapened” and “redicolous.” It just sounds all around immature. You can like the original series but it just sounds like a nerdfest (and jealously) when you put down a pretty decent sci fi series.

• gumbythecat says:

Tastes vary, but for me the remake was far, far superior to the original – although it got a bit soapish. The writing, the acting, the storylines… all superior to the cheesy 70s dreck that was the original.

• I did not like how the reimagined series and I think that season two was total rubbish. Other than that, I was hooked.

I was also sorry to see Caprica end so abruptly. It was similarly fantastic. But, I would prefer if this movie, if it still goes ahead in the absence of Glen Larson, is more like the original.

Having said that, I think that certain aspects of the reimagined version are spookily prophetic i.e., the robots which are indistinguishable from humans.

It appears that we will begin taking robots as partners over the next 100 years or so.

Could it be that there is an entire race of robots out in the universe somewhere whose creators have completely died out?

13. DrJones says:

Like Star Trek who are bringing a Klingon side to the pictures, they need to do it with more of the Cylons view point and keep the Best Frakkin Show ever going. and I want the musical score too!.. and to Hailey_c_02.. whaaaa?

14. Sid says:

I’m going to do something out of character for me and be optimistic that “a complete reimagining of the story” means it will be NEITHER a feature version of the 70s camp nor a DOA knockoff of RDM’s series. it’ll be hard but I’ll try to judge it on its own merits (though RDM & that cast set an awfully high bar!)…

15. Hailey_c_02 says:

as long as this series FEATURES either Lorn Green or Katee Sackhoff i will watch. i prefer Katee Sackhoff, but hey Lorn Green would be pretty awesome too.

16. Zedoc says:

The “re-imagined” series, what ever that means, the one with James Olmos and the others from 2002, is one of the two best TV serials of all time, the other, IMO, being “I, Clauidus.” So I don’t see how they can do it any better. It’ll be a disappointment.

17. Paul S says:

I loved the original series. I was 15 years old. It was like seeing Star Wars on TV every week. Then I grew up. I recently purchased the series on DVD. I don’t think I made it through the second episode, it was so terrible. The re-imagined series had its issues (not like the original didn’t) but it was still awesome! For those who say it was too dark… yah, humanity just got their asses handed to them. I didn’t expect anyone to be throwing parties any time soon afterwards.

I am not opposed to reimaginings so long as the writing is good and they don’t just rehash the original (pretty much why I liked the 2003 version)

• Sean says:

The original series was geared towards children, don’t you know that? They didn’t want to get too intellectual with the kids watching. They had to please a broad audience. The Sci-Fi series didn’t try to appeal to children.

• gumbythecat says:

You and I are exactly the same age, and we had exactly the same reactions! As a matter of fact I ignored the remake for years because the original was so bad I didn’t want to subject myself to more of that cheesy dreck. Then on a whim I started watching the remake on Netflix and was hooked. I agree about it being righfully “dark”. Just as an example, one of the appalling things about the original is that humanity had just been nearly wiped out yet in the next episode or so we see Dirk Benedict’s Starbuck being fawned over by simpering babes like nothing had happened. it was completely unrealistic.

To be fair I think the original had a great deal of potential. The premise was great but I have a feeling the network meddled too much so that it could have that same cheap schlocky appeal that was popular at the time.

• Sid says:

I had the same experience when they reran the original series on SciFi in 03 as the new one was launching. it was absolutely PAINFUL! Star Trek (original) shows its age but is still very watchable (even for my kids). as I said above hopefully they do actually try something completely new as opposed to doing a good job of remaking something awful or failing miserably at remaking something fantastic!

18. James says:

Glad to see Glen Larson, the man who created Battlestar Galactica, is producing this. This means the movie will likely take place in the Galactica Universe he created, as it should have been when it was rebooted the last time. It looked a little concerning when Bryan Singer started talking a while back how his version was going to “fit in nicely” between both. For fans of the Ron Moore repackaging, I’m truly sorry, but my sympathy for your views on this got squashed by RDM and his Fans back in 2003, when we said the same things you’re saying now. To you, if it makes you feel any better, I’ll just tell you what RDM told the fans of Battlestar back in 2003 “Give it a Chance”, or what James Olmos told fans of the Original Battlestar Galactica “Don’t watch it, it will just cause you pain”.

• Annah says:

Be careful what you wish for. Just because the creator is at the helm doesn’t mean this movie is going to be super awesome.

I compare this analogy to Gene Roddenberry. The guy was a genius for creating such an enduring Star Trek Franchise. However, his writing just plain sucked. There has been convention interviews, documentaries, and books that suggested that Gene was a poor writer but his vision was fantastic. It wasn’t until he loosened his reigns in the end of the second season of Star Trek: Next Generation did the show’s ratings began to soar. Before then, it was constant struggle in the ratings. When he only became a non involved producer because of his health, the stories became interesting.

You may think “what the heck does this have to do with Glen Larson?” Well, in my opinion, Glen Larson is a genius for envisioning Battlestar Galatica but like Gene Roddenberry (and George Lucas) they do not have a knock for engaging story telling….at least in my opinion.

My point is: sometimes a creator of a show being involved in a movie 30 years later is not always a winning hand. I could also bring up Ridley Scott’s: “Prometheus” as an example.

It wont bother me if they don’t follow the reimagined series (even tho I loved it). But don’t assume just because it’s creator is at the helm it will be a success… (because I remember much of the original Battlestar episodes to be goofy watching it as a child)

• So you want a continuation of a very cheesy, very camp, very cliched and derivative series that basically flopped?

The original series was fun, good fun. But don’t claim it was anything other than popcorn TV. “Love Boat in Space”…

• nightmyst says:

BTW Paul, Derivative? The Original? You might want to take a wee peek at a dictionary, derivative was EXACTLY what RDM made with his repackaging of Galactica.

• nightmyst says:

Paul, Universe isn’t looking for Dark, Angsty Battlestar 90210. They want a big, Splashy Space Opera, with clearly identifiable Heroes and Villains, not angsty mentally tortured drunken anti-heroes, and sex-bots with “A Plan” (I suppose it was good the Cylons had a plan, because clearly, the Producers didn’t)

Universal is looking to compete with the coming “Star Wars” onslaught, and RDM’s JC Penny Off-The-Rack Costumes plodding “story arcs” isn’t going to cut it. As was clearly proved by the follow series, which, as you seem to like to point out, flopped hard.

19. Alex Zanders says:

Sorry Guys I’m not watching ANY BattleStar Galactica remake unless the AWESOME CAST OF 2003-2009 IS IN IT…PERIOD! And I know a lot will agree with me on this one

• Henk Vos says:

If Katee Sackhoff is in, I will watch. Otherwise forget it.

• Peter says:

The skiffy series was Galactica in name only. All they had to do was name it something else and it would have been fine, but they called it Galactica anyways and completely disregarded the fans.
        I’ll let Katie herself explain what you have to do (if they go back to the original’s roots): “Get over it!”

20. Joey Lopez says:

check your facts Variety, there have been four galactica tv series’, You forgot Caprica.

21. All of this has happened before… all of this will happen again.

22. Don’t really think I like this idea. The BSG with Olmos/Bamber/Sakhoff was wonderful, and I don’t see how anyone could do better.

Hey, Variety, I do have a question … why in the world, of all the available pics from the most recent BSG do you choose one with characters/actors who only appeared for a couple of episodes, and ones that were very negative to the story as a whole at that? There had to be pics of main characters from which you could have chosen. Bad form.

23. Dave in Sacramento says:

Why? Teh 2003 Sci-F Channel series with Olmos as Adama was the best TV Sci-Fi in decades.

24. DNicole says:

Would love to have Battlestar Galactica back but only with the same actors, same story continuation, not “reimagined.” How can they do it justice? Can they? I am in serious doubt.

25. “A re-imaging” Ugh. Fail it now and save some money.

26. Reblogged this on Quantum Multiverse by @Jedi_Knut and commented:
    I hope that it is more like the original and less like the version from the early/mid 2000’s.

• It’s only about 5 years since the new version ended. Wouldn’t a revision to the original confuse people and devalue the brand? I really hope that whatever happens is sympathetic to the recent version.

• Seeing how some companies treat their brands and fans I wouldn’t be surprised if they show the same sympathetic approach as they showed the original BSG when they made that first reboot. The only thing that is truly sacred in Hollywood is the dollar and silly executives who think they can remake everything “better”.

27. Jim says:

Time for people in Hollywood to come up with some new ideas. Absolutely loved the original Battlestar Galactica as a kid. Have no interest in seeing it “re-imagined” yet again.

28. rbanffy says:

Awesome news, but I sincerely hope the screenplay does not confuse the Galactica with the Pegasus like this article. I mean, you *know* the picture illustrating the article is from the Pegasus, showing executive and commanding officers of the starship (or “battlestar”, as the Colonials would say).

29. Cate says:

Too bad Larson’s version was a campy mess. I have zero interest if Ron Moore isn’t involved.

30. Marcus Hardy says:

Absolutely no! The 2003 series was one of the best television shows ever made, and certainly the best original scifi narrative since Bablyon 5. Don’t do this! Give us a movie in the 2003 universe – fine and well – but don’t reboot the whole thing! For crying out loud, is creativity so dead we have to recreate near-perfection?

31. Tom says:

No! Just NO! They did it right with the 2003 series. It would be wrong to do it again. Would you re do “Casablanca”? No? So don’t mess with what is a great thing and cheapen it!

32. Yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… yes… !!!

WHEEEEEEN??????

33. James says:

The reimagined series by Ron Moore was one of the greatest sci-fi shows of all time. The original – not so much! The original was cheesy, hokey and not very well acted. The reboot was incredible gripping tv most of the time. Many of us could have done without the metaphysical hokey that reared its head in the last episode but the tension, drama and superb acting that dominated the series raised it heads and shoulders above almost all other series in the genre.

I don’t know what they would do for a reboot, nor do I understand why. I will keep an open mind, although with Glen Larson producing, I am not hopeful…..

• nightmyst says:

James? Glen Larson Created Battlestar Galactica, why wouldn’t you be hopeful that the show’s Original Creator wasn’t up to the task? He’d be free of all the useless Network restrictions from the 1970s, he’ll have ALL the Visual Effects capabilities that have been developed since the original was made (so no more looped, repeated VFX shots used multiple times), AND this time, they’ll have a respectable budget behind it, so you probably won’t be seeing “JC Penny off-the-rack “costumes”. The movie will be in the Galactica Universe it was supposed to be in.

Face it, Universal is desperate to have something to compete with the “Star Wars” onslaught that is going to be coming down the pike. They want a big, splashy escapist Space Opera, with Heroes, Villains, and space battles. RDM’s repackaging couldn’t be repackaged into something like that, but Larson’s Original Creation was made for that

• Bob Ross says:

Well, look at his history on Wikipedia. He is not some auteur who was shackled by the network. His resume includes Manimal, BJ and the Bear, Knight Rider and The Fall Guy. It is known his ego was bruised by all the acclaim Ronald Moore’s version got of his idea. People said BSG was like his show, but actually, like, good. That had to hurt, I admit. But there is really nothing in his long career to show that he is up to the task of creating a new Battlestar that will improve his original idea from the 70’s.

34. Ricky says:

This is fantastic news. Hopefully they go back to the original storyline and ignore that Ron Moore nonsense that the scifi channel made a few years ago. The original story made much more sense. It had characters you actually liked and cared about. The Cylons were far more interesting as an Alien race with an Empire of their own. The original had a richer universe as well with other alien races as well as human outposts.

• nightmyst says:

I’m with you Ricky, I watched every episode of Moorelactica. Right up to that nauseating finale.

I have to say after that snails pace plodding morass of a multi-season story arc, I was expecting maybe something a bit better that “Ah heck, God Did It”.

What the RDM fanbois seem to fail to recognize is that they got their show. They got their Finale, their wrap up. There is no Continuation possible for them. Shebuck is is a Angel who disappeared. President Illness is Dead, the Baltarbot and the Real Doll are immortal something or others, and God Did it all…

They also got their RDM equivalent of G1980 with Caprica (Fanbois, quit your whining about that, the ratings, or lack thereof speak loudly and clearly for themselves. Even Bonnie Hammer at SyFy knew when to cut her losses on that slow moving non-starter)

They also seem to fail to recognize that RDM repackaged Galactica could NEVER be turned into a Summer Blockbuster style Movie Franchise, for many key reasons. First and Foremost, Glen Larson holds all those cards because he still holds the Motion Picture rights to Battlestar Galactica. No Larson, No Movie. Period. RDM, his pal Eick, and Bonnie treated Larson like absolute garbage every step of the way while they molested his creation. So, ergo, No RDM involved with the Movie, EVER. Period.

Second, Universal is clearly looking for a Huge Splashy State of the Art Escapist Space Opera, with Aliens, Exotic Costumes and Environments, Heroes, Villains, Space Ships and Big Noisy Space Battles, all wrapped up with a rousing soundtrack behind it.

Does the RDM Repackage have those elements? Enough to attract a wide audience?

• The issue with this being that the original series was extremely cliched, derivative, and hammy. It was fun, but in terms of scope and richness I have to disagree with you; the re-imagined series was all about exposition. You might want to watch the “Ron Moore nonsense” before criticising it.

• Ricky says:

Paul and Redleg;
        I did watch GINO from beginning to end. I would never criticize something I had not seen. I am a huge fan of all types of science fiction and fantasy. In all it’s forms.
        GINO just wasn’t very good in my opinion. The ending made no sense. The characters were highly unlikable. It was obvious from the start that there was no proper story arc. It was being made up as they went along.
        Now I know the original was far from perfect but as far as story lines go it was superior.
        I’ll give you some credit The new GINO version had modern day special effects going for it which made it look good superficially. TOS made up for this with substance and style.
        For example the original alien cylons were far far more menacing. Cold logical machines who would conquer or destroy any alien race they encountered. Their history was richer too. Having been servants of a reptile race that they eventually overthrew. They then came too the conclusion that all organic races especially one as clever as man to be a threat. Baltar was also better portrayed in TOS as a madman who’s thirst for power knew no bounds.
        Starbuck and Boomer were better as male characters. Plus those are their names not their call signs. I also could have done without the religious stuff in the GINO series as well. Yes I know TOS had some as well but it was downplayed, not front and center.
        All in all I still hold that TOS was a better overall show than GINO. If you disagree I understand. Everyone has different tastes and standards. As for this new movie it’s entirely possible and very likely they will borrow elements from both series and that could be a good thing if done properly.

• redleg1971 says:

The first season of the original BG in 1978 was loads of fun! The 1980 version had one good episode with Starbuck…that was it. 1980 sucked, bigtime!
        But to say the 2003 version was nonsense puts you in the VAST minority, Ricky. You are entitled to your opinion, but if you didn’t like the Syfy re-imagined version, then there is something wrong with your science fiction barometer. Ron Moore’s version was epic storytelling at its’ best! Not to mention that the acting was light-years better than the original series.
        If they go back to the original storyline and do it right, it could be awesome!
        I actually thought, in the re-imagined show, that Admiral Adama and his fleet would show up at Earth during modern times. But the way they did it was genius and perfect.
        I would be more than ok if they used the original story in a new movie, and then translated that into a new TV show. Just as long as they jumped ahead 5 or 6 years between each season, included the Pegasus story and then brought the Pegasus back for the last few episodes of the final season, and didn’t find a modern Earth until the last couple of shows, after they had finally given the slip to the Cylons for good. They could even have a fast forward of about 100 years, and show the Cylons finding Earth, but our technology has become far advanced thanks to the Colonials, and we wipe out the Cylons.

• DVA says:

Um the original 80’s version had probably 2 good episodes, with the Pegasus. The rest were crap, like love boat space. Galactica 1980 may be the worst abortion of a tv show ever. The Ronald D. Moore version was Emmy nominated and Peabody award winning, and ScyFy channel’s most popular series ever.

• Well said, sir. I grew up with the original series, and have caught the odd episode over the decades since. It was fun, but it was exactly as you said “love boat space”.

I’ve just re-watched the first season of the new version (for the first time). I’d forgotten how intense it was. Epic stuff.

35. Flixnerd says:

Awesome news if it gets greenlit. One of the best sci-fi dramas to hit TV in the last few years.
    Hopefully it will get the production values needed to make a quality film franchise.
    Fingers crossed…

36. Eric H says:

I had hoped that Richard Hatch’s Second Coming had taken to the air waves but the re-imaged version was chosen instead. I actually liked the re-imaged version and even own the bluray set but alas it stands on it’s own merits with me and is not the original story. In the end I like them both but since Larson may be back at the helm for this supposed movie, I hope they maybe take some of Hatch’s idea’s for the relaunch of the original Galactica, combine that with a lot of the original crew, and make that the movie.

37. Kenny says:

Loved the rebooted series on SyFy as well as Caprica. I liked the story, the premise, the cinematography. I even thought the space battles on the new BSG was better than the latest SW. I would rather see an expansion of the rebooted BSG universe vs. a third reboot.

38. GINO it may be. and if the movie is pushing back to the original, then it will be GBTO (Galactica back to obscurity). But hey, better to have a few thousand loyal original fans happy than the millions of new fans of the reimagined.
    By your command.

• nightmyst says:

Yeah, those “millions of new fans of the reimagined.” couldn’t keep those nifty ratings numbers up…

Hence why RDM’s repackaging had to be kept on life support after season 3, as a face saving maneuver for Bonnie Hammer and her minions at Universal/SyFy. Had RDM not gotten his hands on that script he re-tooled into Caprica, by shoe horning his “ideas” into someone else’s material, again, and gotten it green-lighted before the network finally pulled the plug on his first version, that, as they say, would have been that….

• I think he means the picture in the article. It’s from the Razor tv movie, and is the Pegasus CiC.

I am GEEK! Hear me SQUEAK!

39. I am wondering why it is showing a picture of the reimagined series. Larson has been quite clear of his dislike towards the reimagined series. This movie is most likely being produced to “reset” the imaginings of Moore and hail back to the original (campy) version.

If this was a play off the already reimagined series, it would have potential. Perhaps a furthering of Blood and Chrome, a resurgence of Caprica, or even a far into earths future sequel..but its not. its reimagining the reimagined series that ended in 2009 (people are still in full on debates about starbucks nature).

I will watch the development. Hopefully Larson is not involved much in its production and the writers/directors convince knight rider Larson to abandon reimagining it back to crap and instead further what the new fans (known as the majority) have been begging for.

I am un-frakkin-impressed by this move…wait 15 more years, or alter your course!

• Alesa says:

I agree. I hope they realize that working with the recent re-imagining has far more potential. Fans of the series are not much going to appreciate new faces/story. Finish Caprica, Blood and Chrome, work in that area.

• Biggs:
        Actually, I found Caprica to be fantastic…but syfy really dropped the ball. split the seasons with like almost a year between, put it on weird scheduling, etc.
        by the mid to end of season 2, the war was about to start drumming up
        The problem with season 1 was, lots of action oriented bsg fans were expecting viper fights and all sorts from the start, not realizing they were going for more drama scifi than action…at least initially. it needed it for backstory.
        But that’s neither here nor there. I simply wish they had a second season to flesh out what they started as I seen where they were going with it all and it had amazing potential for sci-fi lovers.

About this movie. They say they aren’t going to “frak it up”, but I am of the (initial) opinion that their hands will be tied if Larson demands they crap on the reimagined series and bring back the fun zaney campy lighthearted crap
        Hopefully…
        Larson should take a look at his Knight Rider reboot and its amazing success (completely booted out because it sucked soo bad…complete waste..1 season and even that was reduced when they realized how bad it was…Larsons vision…hooray for 80s zaney action in todays viewing habits)

Larson…just sell your rights, be proud you planted seeds…and stop trying to grind up the things people built off of your initial foundations, or see everything you made turned to crap….you already killed Kitt..must you kill BSG?

• Biggs says:

Agreed. Being a child of the 1980’s I enjoyed it then, but the 2000’s reimagined BSG is unparalleled television that we have yet to better. The characters and storyline become what will keep Galactica alive for the next generation. Too bad it wasn’t continued. Sadly Caprica and Blood & Chrome didn’t have the same appeal, depth or interest, but desperate for more of reimagined BSG we took what we could get. Change it up from the reimagined series – watch the fan base dwindle. Edward James Olmos IS Adama. So say we all.

40. Sean Sewell says:

Wow another part of the story
    I cant even get Blood and Chrome here in Australia must have subtitles for us Deafies heaps of Deaf people here enjoy it very much
    Many thanks
    Sean Sewell

41. evillama says:

Why not a movie finally bridging Caprica and BSG? Star Trek did it, even X-Men’s doing it…

42. Dale Thelander says:

Finally, this is some great news. The original Battlestar Galactica under the guidance of its’ creator Glen A. Larson. This comes at a good time as original series merchandise is being marketed. (Moebius Models just released a new model kit of the Galactica, screen-accurate with a price to match.) The original series is still much-loved by its’ fans who referred to the reimagined series as GINO (Galactica In Name Only). If Universal is fast-tracking this, I can’t wait to see it.

• nightmyst says:

Amen Dale! I almost wish they could get Tom DeSanto onboard for this. I really hoped that Richard Hatch’s Battlestar Galactica – The Second Coming format would have been pursued, but I’m pleased that Larson is back at the helm.

43. Gene says:

I just peed a little.

44. JOE S HILL says:

If Glen A Larson returns to HIS creation,he should at least use the people who did SyFy;s 2004-2009
    TV series. or,he could go way back in time,minus the late Lorne Greene,and use as much of the original
    cast from the original 1978 ABC/Universal TV series as he can! seeing Larson’s trackrecord,this man
    is the last of those TV mavericks left,since he has a very LONG history at Universal Studios,before
    moving to Twentieth Century Fox,where he created “THE FALL GUY” in 1981,and the extremely interesting “MANNIMAL” series with the late Simon McCorkindale in 1983. when they did this article,they
    failed to mention “GALACTICA 1980”,which really wasn’t that bad-or NBC’s “BUCK RODGERS IN THE
    25th CENTURY” in Fall 1979. so i’d say that Universal today,is wise in keeping Glen A Larson in the loop,even though i am confused as to what else they can do with this series,but in the long run,it is
    still Larson’s creation,especially since he and Leslie Stevens co-created the TV series at Universal
    back in those days! looking back on the show’s past,ABC and Universal spent an enormous fortune on
    the original show,but they also incurred the wrath of 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm Ltd,who sued them
    for copyright infringement on their then big hit,”STAR WARS”-especially since John Dykstra,who did the
    SPFX on “SW” was also co-producer of the original pilot,which Universal theatricly released in 1979.
    so for Universal to go back into its past here,that’ll be interesting,but still,somewhat predictable,since its
    obvious that these people will likely add a new wrinkle-otherwise,this still sounds like a desperate move
    on the studio’s part! Good Luck!

• nightmyst says:

Joe, after the way the folks that repackaged Galactica treated Larson when they were forcing their ideas into his creation, I dare say if Larson is producing, they might get a chance to tour the set, but that would probably be about it. Look at some of the RDM defenders here, and their comments, these are almost verbatim what RDM and his pal Eick said about the TOS back in 2003.

The only reason RDM, Eick and SyFy head Bonnie Hammer even bothered to acknowledge Larson at all was because his Lawyers were going to shut down their re-imagining, AFTER it had been produced, and before it aired in 2003. But, even before being forced to acknowledge Larson with an onscreen Producer’s Credit, RDM refused to even speak with him.

So why would Larson be compelled to even let RDM anywhere near it?

• // failed to mention “GALACTICA 1980″,which really wasn’t that bad //

You just lost all credibility ;)

45. That Doesn’t Mean Singer Won’t Direct.

46. Victor Rios says:

Looking forward to this…. as long is michael trucco is left OUT…! Keep Sackhoff too! NOBODY needs that sht again! LOL!

47. Steven Brooks says:

Yet another reason NBC/Universal is falling behind.

The lack of imagination first at the network (and associated cable outlets) and now at the studio points to a serious problem in leadership.

48. William Tate says:

that’s fracktastick

49. AD says:

Universal: abandon the Ronald D. Moore BSG universe at your own risk

50. William Tate says:

The miniseries was awesome. Watched it all the way through at least four times now. Very much would like to see a motion picture.