Ray Fisher to Play Cyborg In Batman-Superman Movie (EXCLUSIVE)

Batman-Superman: Cyborg to Be Played by

After testing actors over the past couple of weeks, Warner Bros. and DC have tapped theater actor Ray Fisher for the role of Cyborg in the untitled Batman-Superman pic.

Victor Stone or Cyborg, while not a major part in the Batman-Superman feature, is a member of the Justice League, and the role will become much more significant role as Warner and DC develop more films related to the Justice League universe, sources confirm.

Warner Bros. had no comment on this story.

Fisher joins the Batman-Superman cast that includes Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Jesse Eisenberg, Gal Gadot and Amy Adams.

Zack Snyder is directing from a script by David S. Goyer, based on a story by Goyer and Snyder. Production is currently under way in Michigan.

In the bonus feature on the recent “Man of Steel” homevideo release, Cavill, who plays Superman in the film, said there’s a great deal of promise in Cyborg as well as the fictional research facility S.T.A.R. Labs, which appears in several DC Comics.

“I think he would create an incredible bridge between superheroes and humanity,” Cavill said of the Cyborg character.

S.T.A.R. Labs was also the workplace of Justice League characters Professor Hamilton (played by Richard Schiff in “Man of Steel”) and the superhero Rampage, although it’s unclear whether the latter is involved in the Batman-Superman film.

Produced by Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder, the untitled Batman-Superman feature opens May 6, 2016.

Fisher, repped by ICM Partners, is more known for his theater roles including the Broadway play “Fetch Clay, Make Man,” in which he portrayed Muhammad Ali.

He was also one of the actors testing for J.J. Abrams’ upcoming “Star Wars: Episode VII.”

1. Would be cool Superman never got off General Zod Kryptonian ship but he and General Zod are still plugged in that image simulator (Or what ever its called) and that Brainiac emerged brainwashing Superman that he killed General Zod. Could possible explain why the other heroes are gathered to save superman and fight Brainiac who has taken over the world and communications.

2. This movie will suck way more than Man of Steel sucked.

3. DarthRant says:

First: I love Cyborg; he’s a great character!
    Second: Wishing DC and Batman-Superman all the best, but… it seems like DC is trying to do in one movie what Marvel spent several movies creating. This has the potential for big-time FAIL. Instead of trying to dazzle us with how many people they can cram into this movie, (Really, it seems like a mini Justice League, according to so many rumours; yes, I know they’re rumours, but… Cyborg was one of those rumours.) just give us a well written, exciting story with characters we can really get behind. Is that too much to ask?

• matt says:

Are you stupid? Let me spell this out for you since you’re so dense. HE’S NOT GOING TO BE CYBORG IN THIS MOVIE. Cyborg was a football player until things happened and he became Cyborg. It’s most likely going to be a subtle appearance. Heck, Ray Fisher most defiantly isn’t even going to be in the film for more than 30 seconds. How the hell is that cramming somebody in if it’s only going to be a 30 seconds or less appearance? Are you stupid?

4. Oreole says:

Yet again, Variety is mistaken about who’s writing the screenplay. It’s Argo writer Chris Terrio writing the script from a draft from Goyer. Get it right. It’s officiated on the very press release of the film when Lex Luthor was cast.

Pertaining to the news of Cyborg, I’m not all that familiar with the character outside the Teen Titans cartoon and I’m really not that fond of him so I’m quite ambivalent on his appearance in this film. It’s obvious they’re going the new 52 route by eschewing John in favor of him. That’s troublesome to me since I’m actually in preference of John as the member of the Justice League( as well as a character in general). It would be rather premature to just assume this film is getting crowded but honestly I think they’re trying to hard to use this flick as the launching pad of the DC cinematic universe then even Man of Steel. For the life of me, I still in astonishment that they even had the gall to include Wonder Woman in this film. I’m still hopeful for this film then I was before(thanks in large in part to replacing Goyer as the screenwriter) but my mood right now is cautiously optimistic rather then before when I was unrelentingly cynical(Man of Steel left a bad taste in my mouth which I ending up just washing off with the new Captain America film.).

All hope for the best, or least something resembling good.

• matt says:

As I had to spell out for someone else and now I obviously have to spell it out for you. HE’S NOT GOING TO BE CYBORG IN THIS MOVIE. Cyborg was a football player until things happened and he became Cyborg. It’s most likely going to be a subtle appearance. Heck, Ray Fisher most defiantly isn’t even going to be in the film for more than 30 seconds. We still don’t know Wonder Woman’s role in this movie. Her’s might even be a short appearance as well. Also, Man Of Steel came out last year, Captain America 2 came out a few weeks ago. Need I remind you that the first Captain America film was utter crap? That’s most likely the bad taste you have left in your mouth.

• Oreole says:

Wow this post was completely frivolous. First off, I’m already well aware he won’t really be Cyborg in this film, clearly he’ll be only be restricted to a cameo as Victor Stone, that will set up his appearances in later films most specifically a Justice League film. My criticism is precipitated on the fact that they’re trying clearly trying to use this film(which should really be a solo sequel to Man of Steel) to springboard an entire Cinematic Universe . Wonder Woman being introduced in this film rather then a solo film really reaffirms that. Furthermore, my disillusionment with Man of Steel along with some Marvel outings (Thor The Dark World comes to mind) made me very leery about the superhero genre for so long til’ Captain America Winter Soldier revitalized my faith in them and as first the film? Well it’s subjective. Admittedly, I wasn’t wowed by it but at least I found it more watchable then that overlong fight festival that was Man of Steel.

5. THX1968 says:

Good for this kid, because Cyborg rules, but I wish I knew what kind of movie these great minds are working on. It really doesn’t sound like a Superman/Batman flick anymore, or like ever. What is going on with this thing?!?!?!?!?

• Because it would be boring. Not only do we have more than enough white superheroes, there would be nothing added by making him caucasian.

Say what you will about an African American Johnny Storm, it is an interesting choice, one that adds layers to the mythology, in particular his relationship with his sister.

6. The Truth says:

Since white characters are being turned black he should be played by a white actor.

7. Al says:

Why does he have to be black? Why can’t a white actor play him?

• Chazmaster says:

There’s enough white superheroes as it is, dude, I think you failed to see the problem with that question . Superman? Not white, but it would cause an uproar if he were to be played by any actor who isn’t white. Batman, always white. Spider-Man, people caused an uproar for him being half black-Latino. Wolverine, always white. I think you can see the pattern from here. The problem isn’t just diversity, but the history of comics. You have to realize that most comics were established in a time where racism was still ok, and predominantly white males were cast as superheroes. We live in the 21st century, it’s entirely ok to relent and let other races have a model to look up to.

Am I saying Victor Stone should remain black? Maybe. He is one of the very few recognizable black superheroes in DC, so I definitely believe he should remain an ethnic minority, but that doesn’t particularly mean he has to remain black. If you just make him white, you’re contributing to ridiculous racist precautions from the 40s and 60s. Some superheroes are required to be white like Captain America (to give some historical accuracy), while some superheroes are required to be black like Black Panther. Surprisingly enough, however, no one ever cares about other ethnicities. Not everything is just black and white, so your response sounds extremely ignorant when you try to turn the “Why does he/she have to be white?” question on its head.

• dnno1 says:

Well, it’s not just the fact that racism was okay, but also that comic book companies at the time (prior to the late 1960’s) catered to young white males, who were their largest demographic of readers. It was more than likely the case that they didn’t or rarely used black chareacters for fear of losing readership not to mention the lack of writers who cared to write about black characters.

• mightymad says:

Just so you know: black people didn’t bitch about super-heroes being played by only white actors, ’cause, well, we didn’t care. So your assumption that we did complaint… is completely false.

Now, if you want to bitch to someone about this casting, go right away and bitch to Josh Trank, A WHITE GUY, who push like crazy to get Jordan, an otherwise very solid actor, to get the part. I myself have bigger issues with the casting of Miles Teller and Jamie Bell, also good actors who are really wrong for their parts (Teller evoke nothing of Richard and Bell looks too scrawny to even play the normal version of Grimm), but that’s just me, not seeing race as the core problem of their casting.

Either way, I bet we can agree on this: there’s a fairly good chance the new FF will turn out to be terrible.

• mightymad says:

Oh you’re so cute! Keep on trolling!

• dnno1 says:

If Cyborg were white he would then be called the Six Million Dollar Man. I guess what I am saying is that the cybernetic white guy thing has been done before and there always a chance that can be done again, but right now, the producers want a black African American male to play Cyborg.

• Al says:

So every other race is allowed to complain when a character is played by a white person? Johnny Storm is now black, why can’t Cyborg be white?

8. Chelsea says:

Ok here a title for the movie.
    Man Of Steel
    Justice League.

• Eddie says:

Cyborg Can Be White. They obviously want a black actor for this film though. I’m black btw

• Kendrick says:

No you’re not black. You’re just saying that you are so people won’t call you a racist.

• mightymad says:

My thought exactly.

Fact of the matter is, this film is now so stacked heavy with supporting big-named characters, there’s not a whole lot of chance it will turn out to be any good.

9. k says:

WOW, this film is going to be absolutely terrible. It’s unbelievable how inept WB and DC are at making a good superhero film. Screw them, what complete morons. I hope all of their heads roll soon.

10. Mini says:

I think he will be in the football scene that they short earlier. I also believe that they will be shooting the justice league movie at the same time, sort of back-to-back, and we will see Cyborg in a greater role, and whoever the Rock is playing will join in.

11. Kate says:

In what world does 5 time Oscar nominee and A lister Amy Adams come AFTER Gal freaking Gadot in a press release? Please don’t make me laugh.

• Benedict Johnson says:

In the same world where Gadot is cast as Wonder Woman…

• Kate says:

Who cares? She’s a terrible actress and I would much rather watch Adams who actually has talent and was supremely underused in the first movie. I love Wonder Woman but she has no place in this movie. Keep her in her own movie.

12. Hud says:

Batman will probably seem useless on the team now.

• mightymad says:

Obviously, you don<T know much about the Justice League, do you?

Just remember: Batman is ALWAYS the smartest guy in the room… especially if you ignored TDKR.

13. Hud says:

1. Looks like Batman vs Superman is actually Justice League.

2. Looks like Johns is using his Goyer connection to full effect. Johns wins again. -_-

3. I’m mixed about this. I’m gonna be depressed if the only POC on the team looks like a monster or like Marvel’s Deathlok. I’m going to be even more depressed in Cyborg is the team bus and teen sidekick to the team like he is on Johns’s run. I really don’t like the idea of him being the new version of Snapper Carr. :-/

4. Snyder’s Justice League will probably be a big fight scene. Hopefully it actually has heart and good characterization. :-/

5. I’m guessing we’re probably looking at some version of Justice League: Origin/War :-/

14. Devon says:

Needs more shazam.

15. grant says:

rename this movie to the justice league and give superman his own damn sequel with characters FROM HIS UNIVERSE!

• JG says:

You mean like just characters he’s friends with like that billionaire who shared a series with Superman for 92 issues this past decade, or that Princess he’s having a relationship with now?

• Sean Eggers says:

Let me clear something up for you he is not gonna have a MAJOR PART…..HE HAS A MINOR PART.

• Well, Star Labs is apart of the “Superman” Universe. And by extension anyone involved with. If Cyborg is the bridge between Superman and a larger universe it makes perfect since. A lot better than tagging after credits and saying, “Look at me!”

16. Jack says:

This Superman/Batman movie sounds mighty terrible. DC’s hard-on for Batman continues, but Man of Steel was a flop so I guess they had to inject cheap thrills via Batman in the 2nd movie. No name actor for Cyborg is wait and see, hopefully he won’t be as boring as Cavill.

• Brian says:

A worldwide gross of $687,999,518 is a flop?

• mightymad says:

MoS didn’t flop at all – it even made a profit. However, it definitely wasn’t the blockbuster success DC/Warner hoped it would be.

• Paul Marquee says:

Moronic reasons? So misuse of the flashback narrative, disjointed pacing, a lackluster score, poor character development, direction that prioritzed visual spectacle over story progression & uncreative cinematography are just invalid criticisms, correct?

• Benedict Johnson says:

Say what you want about Man of Steel, but the movie was certainly not a flop. It made 670 million dollars on a 250 million dollar budget.

• Yung says:

A flop? Really? Just because you didn’t like the movie doesn’t make it a flop.

• Saiyanora says:

For a movie that cost $225 million to make with an additional $150 million for advertising, it did underperform as WB themselves were hoping for a billion dollars. It definitely did not flop by any means, but when you factor in the return on investment, it did underperform.

• Benedict Johnson says:

Both Reeves and Cavill Superman were great in their own way. People hating the movie usually do it for the most moronic reasons.

• Man of Steel may have been divisive, but many people enjoyed it. It made a great deal of profits at the box office and in merchandise.

17. Milena says:

Cyborg sucks. He shouldn´t be a part of the justice league.

18. steve says:

Prof Hamilton was a character in Man of Steel already. Richard Schiff played him. He died off screen.

• Paul Marquee says:

Everyone who was entrapped in the Phantom Zone is dead. The reason Zod and his lackeys weren’t killed when they were sent into the zone at the beginning of the film was because they were enclosed within those individual Kryptonian casings that essentially left them in suspended animation. To boot, they were put inside a ship and then placed inside the Zone. Without the casings and the ship, everyone who was entrapped in the Zone at the endof the film would have died due to a lack of oxygen. The Zone is basically a black hole that evidently doesn’t tear you apart limb from limb (MoS doesn’t exactly appease real science which is ultimately why its supposed “grounded and realistic” angle is utter nonsense). That’s why Col. Hardy’s last (and honeslty quite cringe-uinducing) line was, “A good death is its own reward.”

• Veniversum says:

Technically the phantom zone is “hyperspace,” if you really want to get grounded, we have NO IDEA how the laws of physics work there (the same laws that govern life here). Just because our current understanding of black holes says we’d be ripped up, doesnt mean its true. The same understanding also says we wouldn’t be ripped up. Quantum physics is extremely illogical. Talk about “utter nonsense” right

• Clark Kentt says:

Prof Hamilton didn’t die he was sucked into the Phantom Zone.