Angelina Jolie to Miss ‘Unbroken’ Premiere Due to Chicken Pox

In a video posted Friday, “Unbroken” director Angelina Jolie explained that she will not be attending upcoming events for the film, which would include its L.A. premiere Monday, due to what she said is a case of chickenpox.

Jolie’s name has been in the press the past week after leaked Sony emails revealed nasty exchanges about the director and actress between producer Scott Rudin and Sony co-chair Amy Pascal, and again after her film was completely shut out from Golden Globe nominations.

“Unbroken” opens in theaters nationwide Dec. 25.

1. Sally says:

Not that it matters and I still think she’s fantastic but it just seems strange that she travels all over the world and isn’t properly vaccinated? She helps others in some of the poorest parts of the world where Chicken Pox can be prevalent. I am pretty sure she has to keep up with some intense mandatory immunizations to travel the globe in that way. For all sorts of things from Scarlet fever to who knows what? She goes to Africa, the Sudan, etc. These dots are just not connecting for me.

• John says:

Maybe Hollywood will start making more decent films. I mean really from a B or C actor to a director? Jolie has little to no talent to act let alone direct. Hollywood wake up. Thanks for the reality check by Korea.

2. Oh you mean Angelina Jolie hasn’t had her chicken pox vaccine? Oh, well shes putting the rest of us in danger, she needs to go have a vaccine!!! Or does dear angie know what the rest of us know and that’s why she didn’t get one? When celebrities and politicians force things on us and our children that they themselves wont get or give to their children, its because they know the truth and the truth is they don’t protect us and they are full of toxic chemicals.

3. Mister Salty says:

I bet Louis Zamperini wouldn’t let a mild case of chicken pox keep him from going to a movie.

4. evoc says:

Well that’s just annoying. How could she have made it through childhood without getting chickenpox? Hasn’t she gotten her kids vaccinated?
    Baking soda baths can work. They worked well for my tiny kids, they even told me it stopped itching.

5. TV Watcher says:

I have no idea why this woman is considered so beautiful, I think she’s weird looking.

6. chick says:

Chickenpox ?

She doesn’t look like it…

She just wants to avoid the press.

• Alex says:

My guess is many Sony exces may be getting chicken pox to avoid going to award shows. Over the last few day the press has focused on the race end of this story, but those e-mails had nasty personal things about several people. Jolie’s a brat, Hart is a whore, more to come?

7. Cindy says:

I’m so sorry my dear sweet sister :(
    I know it suks and I know it is worse for an adult to have chickenpox. Oatmeal baths are really good at making it a bit more comfortable for you. May God’s Will let this illness pass quickly.
    I know you feel miserable honey.
    I LOVE YOU honey.
    Much love to you my dear sweet sister.
    Cindy M Garcia
    Huffman Texas

8. Lilly says:

Oh noooooo! You poor thing! Ways of the world momma! Hang in there and take care of yourself!

9. PETER says:

Well, maybe, but I will decide, when I see it. I see a lot of movies during awards season, and am very critical of movies, especially since I’ve been going to movies for seventy years. So, maybe you are right. But maybe that’s the point of the film, for the audience to live, experience the hell that our WW II military went through at the hands of the horrendously sadistic and brutal Japanese. Of course, in our politically correct movie industry, it’s not acceptable to call a spade a spade. And I appreciate that Angelina Jolie had the courage to make UNBROKEN.

10. Mike says:

Could the timing of her illness be any more convenient? After a week of bad press and zero nominations she’s suddenly unavailable for what was supposed to be an awards show victory lap? You’d have to be an idiot to think this was a coincidence.

11. Dunstan says:

Peter, there is a major problem with the film. It’s incredibly repetitious; this is neither the fault of Jolie nor the three A list screenwriters. Watching a film, any film, where the character is relentlessly brutalized in one way after another, does not make for a compelling movie. Zamperini and his fellow crew members are clearly heroes in every sense of that word. But this long-in-gestation movie doesn’t really work.

12. PETER says:

I am looking forward to seeing UNBROKEN. The book is excellent. Thank you, Angelina, for making this true story about our military heroes during World War II.