Andrew Garfield Took the Batkid to Disneyland After Oscar Cancellation

Andrew Garfield Took the Batkid Disneyland

Academy defends 'Spider-Man' star after story leaks about Batkid being snubbed

Oscar reps confirmed that the planned Batkid segment on March 2 was scrapped due to “logistics,” and not due to any temperamental differences.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences issued a statement late Thursday morning saying, “Due to the nature of a live show, hard decisions sometimes must be made which require the Academy to cut segments due to the logistics of production. Andrew Garfield understood that his segment had to be omitted, and he drove to Disneyland on Monday to spend time with 5-year-old Miles Scott (Batkid) and his family.”

The New York Post’s Page 6 had printed that Garfield stormed out of rehearsals for the Oscar show when he didn’t like the scripted material. Since then, reps have denied that version. The theme of the Oscar show was heroes, and Garfield had been announced as a presenter. After the show, the participation of Batkid came to light. Garfield appears blameless, but some cynics on the Internet have wondered why that segment would be cut while other, fluffier elements remained.

The Make-a-Wish Foundation had granted the request of 5-year-old Scott, who has cancer, to become Batkid for a day, and San Francisco helped him live out that scenario.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 10

Leave a Reply

10 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Chelsea says:

    Aww Andrew your a great guy. :)

  2. The Kingslayer says:

    So instead of a nice touching segment we got Ellen handing out pizza instead……

  3. Southsider1 says:

    This kid already got his 15min of fame (at the cost of thousands of dollars). Good for The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, it’s time to move on.

  4. denise says:

    andrew take ur meds!

  5. Danny DeMent says:

    Meh. Producers just wanted to cram in more ego stroking for the celebs and more product plugs.

  6. Anon says:

    Christian Bale was in attendance. I’m betting Disney didn’t want to advertise a DC Comics hero. Logistics.

    • PhilG says:

      It was certainly interesting that the live action hero montage kept featuring the most recent ‘Superman’, but entirely ignored the iconic – and Oscar-winning – Christopher Reeve-starring version. Halle Berry’s Storm made the cut, but not Michael Keaton’s Batman… all-in-all it was a very awkward and odd selection, that might – MIGHT – make more sense viewed through that kind of skeptical lens.

      As for non-Marvel Batkid and non-Disney Spider-man, I think it’s a stretch to suggest that that was the main reason.

  7. DougW says:

    Their statement doesn’t help much when it’s as vague as “logistics.” What is the logistics difficulty of having two people stand on stage?

  8. Oscar the grouch says:

    Can you say damage control? Not fooling anyone.

More Film News from Variety

Loading