Jennifer Lopez Aims to Improve Health Care Through Her Foundation

Jennifer Lopez Power of Women
Williams+Hirakawa for Variety

Sisters Jennifer and Lynda Lopez had planned to launch a charitable organization since Jennifer was first vaulted into the public eye. Their talks grew more tangible when both were pregnant, and as Jennifer recalls: “We were sitting around doing a lot nothing, thinking about what to do with the world.”

But it was after a health scare in 2008 that the mission of the Lopez Family Foundation was finally born.

“Very early after my twins were born, my daughter (Emme) developed this bump on the back of her head,” Lopez says. “So I rushed to the hospital, and it was the middle of the night and the doctor met me there. And I had all these privileges, which wasn’t lost on me. I went back that night and thought, what if I didn’t have that? What if something was really wrong with her?”

Launched in 2009, the sisters’ foundation aims to help improve healthcare for women and children, and first paired with Los Angeles Children’s Hospital to support the telemedicine program.

Williams+Hirakawa for Variety

Recently their work has expanded to facilities in Panama and Puerto Rico, with brands Samsung and Best Buy providing further sponsorship, and this year the org created the Center for a Healthy Childhood at the Montefiore Medical Center in the sisters’ native Bronx borough of New York.

On the Montefiore partnership, Lynda says: “Our focus is improving the well-being of women and children, and not imposing some idea of what that is, but really looking at the community and seeing what do they need? What improvements are they lacking? There are huge issues with obesity, nutrition and childhood health in the Bronx, and we knew that pretty well from our own lives. It was just a matter of sitting down with everyone there and figuring out what we could really do to improve lives.”

Marketplace

1. Louis says:

This message is for Jennifer Lopez if you people can contact her, it is most urgent that I talk to her face to face or over the phone. I just want to tell her that my mother needs her help any way she can with any funds she can give. I live in Florence ,Mississippi.

2. Leonard Saha says:

My nephew is an artistic (abnormal) child.
      Her age now 11 years. We went many doctors but no improvement. Lastly the doctors said when she will be 14+ then she will die.
      How can we get support or help because we do not loose so early.

3. Sham Kumar says:

Respected, Jennifer-Lopez I,m work at private organization as a housekeeper my salary is 14,700 PKR in a month just 147 US dollar. my wife,s Shobha she is a very sick, Shobha is both are kidneys failure now she is a dialysis dependent weekly 3 times she is go to hospital, she is only 30 years old,this is not sufficient to cover the cost of dialysis they have 2 small children, more than 7 surgery she is facing, remove the appendix, 4 times av fistula repair, eyes surgery cataract, tourist intestines, Uterus removed. my goal is her renal transplant, now I, m facing very difficult time, my salary is negative now. my wife shobha ,s problem is not a fake, I have all the medical reports. I meet for you please please Jennifer-Lopez help me.
      Regard,
      sham kumar

4. Tina Hunyer says:

Jennifer, may I start by saying that you alone are indeed thee most passionate actress I have ever seen… I love the parts you choose to explore and you assume the characters well! I sense that you hold the well being of women and children as much as I and would love the chance to present an idea for a much needed program for abused Native American women and children in Montana. Please contact me or send information as soon as possible. Thank you for your time.
      Tina Hunter

5. SCARLETT says:

WHAT A GREAT AND BENEVANT THING FOR THIS WOMAN TO TRY TO DO HER BEST, YET CRITZISED BY THE INSECURED IGNORANT ASS HOLES. THANK YOU JENNY. THANK YOU. SCARLETT

6. JS says:

A simple, free (unless she got a nice paycheck for doing so?), and drastically beneficial start would have been not smoking in her new video.

7. Andrey says:

How about improving the medicine to combat Ebola virus