Box Office: Brad Pitt’s ‘Fury’ Rolls with $1.2 Million Thursday Night

Box Office: Brad Pitt's 'Fury' Rolls

Brad Pitt’s tank tale “Fury” has started rolling with $1.2 million at late night shows Thursday at 2,489 locations in the U.S. for Sony.

That’s well above the late night Thursday figures for recent adult-skewing movies such as “Captain Phillips,” which generated $600,000 in first-night early shows in October and “Monuments Men,” which drew $550,000 on its first night.

Sony’s first numbers give a strong signal that “Fury,” also starring Shia LaBeouf and Logan Lerman, won’t tank at the multiplexes this weekend. Recent forecasts have estimated that “Fury” will finish at the top of the box office chart with a $25 million opening from 3,155 locations.

“Fury,” which carries a $68 million price tag, was directed by “End of Watch” helmer David Ayer. It’s opening amid solid critical support with a 76% “fresh” rating on the Rotten Tomatoes aggregator site.

Fox’s third weekend of “Gone Girl” and the opening of its animated “The Book of Life” are contenders for the second slot in the $16 million to $18 million range.

“Gone Girl” has won back-to-back weekends and shown impressive holding power among audiences, garnering nearly $90 million in its first two weeks.

“The Book of Life,” an animated Day of the Dead adventure, generated $300,000 at 2,150 locations on Thursday night. The $50 million project, co-produced and co-financed by Reel FX and 20th Century Fox, expands to 3,069 locations today.

Reviewers have been strongly supportive of “Book” with a 75% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Relativity’s Nicholas Sparks-based romancer “The Best of Me” took in $525,000 from Thursday night show starting at 8 p.m. Recent comparable title “If I Stay” grossed $1.1 million from Thursday night on its way to a $15.7 million opening weekend for Warner Bros.; TWC’s “The Giver” took in $750,000 on Thursday night and $12.3 million in its launch frame.

However, “The Best of Me” more than doubled another Sparks-based title “Safe Haven,” which opened with $250,000 on Thurday night on its way to a $21.4 million launch weekend.

Forecasters have predicted that Universal’s second weekend of “Dracula Untold” and “The Best of Me” will battle for the fourth slot with weekends in the $12 million to $14 million range. Reviews have been dismal for “The Best of Me,” with a 6% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

“The Best of Me” will open in 2,936 theaters with a budget of $26 million, though Relativity has pegged its exposure at only $5 million. Its story revolves around former high school sweethearts (James Marsden and Michelle Monaghan) drawn together again at the funeral of a friend.

 

 

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 2

Leave a Reply

2 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. ITTTY IT says:

    WHY is PITT bringing us the SAME flick he pitched LAST year?

    WHY is Hollywood continuing to BORE us with anaomalous World War II retreads?

    WHY is Hollywood ‘mysteriously overlooking’ some 5 decades of milestone anniversarives
    for the awesomely relevant, ‘Agenda 21’ avante garde, KOREAN WAR????

  2. LOL says:

    America loves R-rated movies.

More Film News from Variety

Loading