The scheduled Monday night premiere of highly anticipated Chinese blockbuster “Gone With The Bullets,” has suddenly been cancelled.
The film is directed by iconic film maker Jiang Wen and is a sequel to his hit “Let The Bullets Fly.” Pegged for a Dec 20 release, “Gone” is expected to be one of the biggest films of the year in China and has pre-sold a record number of tickets.
It is produced by Beijing Buyilehu Film and Culture with finance and international distribution by Sony Pictures.
Producer, Ma Ke revealed the delay and said that the Monday press conference and premiere at Beijing University had been halted “for the reason that everyone knows.”
Ma said that the scheduled commercial release will not be affect by the delay. Sony has made no comment.
Jiang is no stranger to controversy. He was banned from working for several years after releasing “Devils on the Doorstep” at an overseas festival without Film Bureau permission. “Let The Bullets Fly,” however, was a barely disguised critique of rampant corruption within Chinese bureaucracy.