VIDEO: Michael Bay Abruptly Walks Off Stage at CES Event

Michael Bay directing "Transformers"
Jason Kempin/Getty Images

Teleprompter failure prompts 'Transformers' helmer to abandon Samsung presentation

UPDATED 4:20 p.m. The Consumer Electronics Show may have already provided the viral YouTube moment of the week when “Transformers” helmer Michael Bay imploded onstage. Bay was a surprise guest, recruited to talk about the giant Samsung Ultra HD TVs. Bay started his pitch (“I get paid to dream”) but then fell silent, blaming the teleprompters at the back of the room. When Samsung exec VP Joe Stinziano said, “We’ll wing it,” Bay hesitated, excused himself, said “I’m sorry,” bowed his head and walked off the stage… presumably to berate a gaggle of publicists and technicians.

Video comes courtesy of tech news site TheVerge.

Here’s more on what Samsung announced.

UPDATE: Bay later blogged about his onstage brain-freeze: “Wow! I just embarrassed myself at CES – I was about to speak for Samsung for this awesome Curved 105-inch UHD TV. I rarely lend my name to any products, but this one is just stellar. I got so excited to talk, that I skipped over the Exec VP’s intro line and then the teleprompter got lost. Then the prompter went up and down – then I walked off. I guess live shows aren’t my thing.” He added a “curved-screen experience” for Samsung and “Transformers 4” will tour the world.

1. Bob the builder says:

That was a simple douche bag temper tantrum. If he as a “Visionary” director couldn’t even answer a simple question like how will the curved screen enhance viewers experience of HIS MOVIES!!! No better than a tom cruise or any other over paid hollywood jack @55

2. edward says:

Just watched michael bay make a fool of himself, for someone that’s on top of his game he sure droped the ball. Why could he not just talk about his movies? He lost his cue cards and just gave up and walked off stage. What ever happened to the show must go on? He also isn’t very nice to the cast an crew working with him. Its hard to speak from your heart when you don’t have one.

3. film student says:

if he has been in the industry long enough then speaking of his professional skills should be pretty easy if he had any skills.

Any director is able to think quickly and creatively on his or her feet as production never goes smoothly and you got to get it done.

Directors are also a master of descriptive communication which is how actors get the emotional beats the director wants.

All of his films were never finished on time and always over budget

Michael Bay was never a story teller and this just proved it, why Spielberg puts his name to his stuff his beyond me.

And for ducks sake, will he ever keep the camera still

4. Sam says:

A public speaking class at a community college will help, or join Toastmasters. Most of all, learn the subject matter and prepare. Will never need a teleprompter again.

5. Steph says:

The biggest hack in Hollywood.

6. DeliverUsFromPeter says:

This is hilarious!

7. Idiots 'r' Us says:

Why are these sheep applauding at the end????

8. lbatl says:

Say what you like about Michael Bay, he is what he is, and i agree he SHOULD have been able to do this, but people interfered with his natural ability to speak, and he LET THEM.

Plenty of blame to go around here, Michael should have fought them on this stunt they tried to get him to perform. Furthermore, the organizers and presentation staff should have known better.

However, I feel sorry for him and I actually cringed watching this because I have had this happen to me before.

I have had to give a presentation in front of lots of people at a convention, only to have my words replaced with someone else’s at the last minute-completely eradicating my message in the process.

This was clearly one of the situations where he was asked to read from a script, rather than speak dynamically about what he knows.

Now, the script is gone-and he’s completely unprepared.

Had they told him to come out with an outline and to speak dynamically about his passion and his beliefs, I believe the outcome would’ve been excellent.

However, someone convinced him that all they wanted was for him to read this script… likely one that he approved ahead of time, but nonetheless, he was taken out of his element and made to become an actor playing himself.

This is the number one fear people have of what might happen when speaking.

If you just remember that you know what you’re talking about, and that people are there to hear what you have to say-whatever it is, you’ll do well.

Never let someone architect your message for you-this is the likely outcome in nearly every case.

9. Not A Fan says:

So many PR plants for Bay! Not buying it, but hope you guys are getting paid well.

10. Kevin Weindorf says:

Lucky for this guy Hollywood will always need franchise films that kids love and adults think are OK!

Not only was he unprepared at his rare, no doubt overpaid “TV” presentation, he couldn’t even manage to talk about his own love for creation when the sh!t hit the fan…

11. Dave Andrews says:

Wow. Someone who has been in the public eye that long should be able to wing it when needed, especially with such a basic question.

12. Ginger says:

Typical of today’s Hollywood, no words to describe the un talented shame of a world they created@

13. Bill says:

He’s not going to deliver the message he was hired to deliver if they aren’t prepared – end of story.

Why would anyone ad-lib a PRODUCT PITCH?

14. Chuck says:

Just goes to show, MB doesn’t have an original thought in his head.

15. Toon says:

I respect people who can “wing it”, maybe working with CGI has stripped him of all his wits. He’s no Larry David, I guess.

16. can’t trust robots or cyborgs

17. Bob says:

hahahahahahaha What’s a matter Mikey?

18. John Shea says:

Being Michael Bay, he should have blown THEM up instead of imploding himself!

19. Steve Weinshel says:

He was caught off-guard and did not recover. He walked off graciously. Broadcasting it has a heavy salt in the wound quality to it.

20. Glenn C. says:

Good for him. If those idiots at Samsung cannot even make sure a telepromter works for a guy like Bay then they deserve this! This also shows about Samsung’s products!!! What a mess.

• Dave Baxter says:

Yeah, Bay sure couldn’t have simply said some generic nice things about the product he was being paid to say some generic nice things about and then maybe riffed on some anecdotes about his career. “A guy like Bay” indeed.

More Digital News from Variety