Netflix to Produce Original Series Based on ‘Lemony Snicket’ Books

lemony snicket 'A Series of Unfortunate

Netflix has acquired rights to produce an original series based on best-selling book franchise “A Series of Unfortunate Events” by Lemony Snicket.

The series will be a Netflix production in association with Paramount Television. Paramount was the studio behind 2004 movie “Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events” (pictured, above), starring Jim Carrey. The streaming service didn’t say when it expects the series to debut.

The “Lemony Snicket” books are penned by Daniel Handler, who is “often mistaken” for the books’ author.

“On the search for fantastic material that appeals to both parents and kids, the first stop for generations of readers is ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events,'” said Cindy Holland, VP of original content for Netflix. “The world created by Lemony Snicket is unique, darkly funny, and relatable. We can’t wait to bring it to life for Netflix members.”

“I can’t believe it,” Mr. Snicket, at an undisclosed location, said in a statement supplied by Netflix. “After years of providing top-quality entertainment on demand, Netflix is risking its reputation and its success by associating itself with my dismaying and upsetting books.”

In “A Series of Unfortunate Events,” three orphaned kids — Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire — face trials and tribulations at the hands of the evil Count Olaf, as they seek to discover the secret of their parents’ death. The books have sold more than 65 million copies worldwide.

The latest Snicket book is “Shouldn’t You Be in School?,” the third volume of “All The Wrong Questions,” which tells the story of Snicket’s own childhood. Handler’s next novel for adults is “We Are Pirates,” slated to be published in February 2015. Handler is scheduled to host the National Book Awards in New York on Nov. 19.

Handler is represented by ICM Partners and Charlotte Sheedy. ICM Partners brokered the deal for rights to produce the series.

1. Lisa P. Smith says:

I can’t wait for this series to begin I loved the books and wished for years for a TV show to life. Netflix please make it happen.

2. Bree says:

Please please!! Please bring this series to Netflix. I have read all the books and I am starting to read them again because it has been a while since I’ve read them and want to refresh my memory on them because I really enjoyed it. I loved the movie and was really upset when they didn’t come out with more. So pleeeeease! I’ll be anxiously waiting!

3. Maybe it was just me, but I absolutely loved these movies. I watched it dozens of times and I always wished they made more. I will be very interested to see what they do with the TV series.

4. Isabella says:

Does anybody know where one might audition for this show?

5. Amri Buben says:

Wes Anderson would be the perfect director for any Lemony Snicket movie!

6. shakoush2001 says:

Could not find them in my Netflix region, switched to American Netflix using https://thevpn.guru/netflix-proxy-region-how-to-change-dns-vpn

7. Lady Shalott says:

I would love to audition for a role if anyone sees anything please let me know.

8. cetoria says:

Reblogged this on Reading Cetoria and commented:
    Exciting news! one more reason to love Netflix :)

9. Anon says:

I hope they cut back and forth between ASOUE and ATWQ, in a way similar to Once Upon a Time. I feel it would add a wonderful feel to the show. I really hope they get this right. Also, if ANYONE hears ANYTHING about auditions, PLEASE notify me, as I am an aspiring young actor, who has done some professional work.

10. seaia13 says:

I, personally, think the books would look so much better as a traditionally animated miniseries. Or computer animated, but with 2D, not 3D. Preferably with Tim Burton onboard.

11. Alex says:

They better not screw this up like the did the movie….

12. Amber Ferguson says:

Yay!!! Totally excited for this – i have been waiting for years for them to make something other than the movie!

13. Tali Adina says:

Reblogged this on Uncanny Pop and commented:
    Via Variety.com

14. Kath says:

I hope they start over with the cast. It was a good cast when I was 13 but now that I’m older, I realize how badly they handled the movie…

15. Mackenzie says:

Either Netflix will create a wonderfully brilliant television series out of my all time favourite novels or the show will be so tremendously horrid (like the movie), nevertheless I’m nervous (not anxious- there’s a difference ;)! ), yet faithfully excited. Also, I’d highly reccomend Snicket’s works. They may be deemed pieces of children’s literature, however they’re rather enjoyable, regardless of your age.

16. Joe says:

i hope they redo all the books they butchered in that movie. i love jim carrey, but that movie was awful.

17. Devon says:

Can’t wait! I loved the books growing up!

18. R.Smith says:

I am beyond excited for this. I can’t wait to see who is in the cast! :D

19. Johnny says: