Netflix Sets Premiere Date for Eli Roth’s ‘Hemlock Grove’ Season 2

'Hemlock Grove' Season 2 Premiere Date

Netflix’s supernatural thriller “Hemlock Grove” was not its most buzzed-out original series, but audience reception evidently was strong enough that the show is coming back to the service for a second run in July.

All 10 episodes of the sophomore season of “Hemlock Grove,” from exec producer Eli Roth, will premiere on Friday, July 11, at 12:01 a.m. Pacific in all territories where Netflix is available. Series is based on Brian McGreevy’s novel of the same name and is produced by Gaumont International Television.

“Hemlock Grove” did not receive the level of critical acclaim or attention of Netflix’s “House of Cards” or “Orange Is the New Black.” Netflix does not release info on viewership, but execs have noted previously that originals catering to more niche auds — and aren’t confined to traditional TV formats — are important for attracting and retaining members.

“Hemlock Grove,” about a series of strange events in a small Pennsylvania town, stars Famke Janssen (“X-Men”), Bill Skarsgård (“Simon & The Oaks”), Landon Liboiron (“Terra Nova”) and Dougray Scott (“Mission Impossible II”). Season two picks up with the residents of Hemlock Grove coming to grips with the shocking massacre inflicted by one of its deadliest creatures.

Said Roth, “Netflix has been an incredible partner, and whenever we wanted to take the story in a dangerous direction, they encouraged us to go even further — into a scarier, darker, and sexier place. We guarantee you won’t see anything like this anywhere else on television.”

Series was the first foray into TV by biscreen horror-meister Roth (“Hostel,” “Cabin Fever”). It was developed by Brian McGreevy and Lee Shipman and is executive produced by Roth, Charles Eglee, McGreevy and Lee Shipman, Eric Newman and Michael Connolly.

“Hemlock Grove” season one earned two 2013 Emmy Awards nominations, for original main title theme music and special visual effects.

1. Shanti Pena says:

What is taking so long for season 3????? It is Aug already… hurry up.. You need to promote this.. You started to promote this and got me hooked then you stopped… now that i am hooked.. your not doing anythng Netfix!!!

2. Canthardlywait says:

love this series cant wait for the 3rd season!!

3. Renee says:

please release more seasons!!!!!!!!

4. Sammy says:

This is a kick butt series! The visual effects, acting, cast — everything! It has so much potential for developing greater story lines. Some of these other Netflix series don’t hold a candle next to it. I vote to continue it! Please!!!!

5. M.J. says:

Hemlock Grove rocks…. Can’t even imagine it not having grand reviews and a superior audience. I keep watching the first series over and over again, waiting….waiting….waiting for season 2…. :) Hurry up July!

6. christina says:

I’m very happy to see that they are continuing this series! Season 1 was a great introduction to these interesting characters. I can’t wait to find out where this storyline leads each of them and am excited to meet new and interesting creatures.

7. sclocal1987@gmail.com says:

Hemlock is dope!!!

8. emma says:

I LOVE the first season of hemlock grove and cannot wait for the second season!!!

9. amber b says:

great show needs more episodes & seasons & less time between seasons
    i agree needs more promotion also . i watched this & orange no house of cards

10. Tammy B says:

I agree that the show needs promoting. I’m rewatching Season 1 for the 2nd time in as many months and love everything about it. So much potential there if Netflix marketing folks would give it the attention it deserves.

11. Emily Anne says:

Love all Netflix series; house of cards, orange, and hemlock. I agree with my fellow Hemlockers, 10 is not enough. I share Rebecca Blakeley’s concerns…does this mean Hemlock is on its way out??? I hope not!

12. Asashii says:

Not another 15 months between seasons show, no thank you, who would even remember what happened on the show after not seeing an episode after 15 months. You can keep it!!!

13. Brandy says:

This show is wickedly awesome ………. I am happy that there is another season…….bring it on netflix…….and hey what about a season 3 and 4

14. Bill says:

Netflix promoted Hemlock Grove in the beginning but did not continue promoting it like they did House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. I’m guessing because House of Cards and Orange really needed promoting. I was thinking of cancelling my Netflix subscription until I heard about Hemlock Grove so I kept it just so I could watch the show. I’m sure Netflix got a lot of new subscribers because of Hemlock Grove. If they’re smart they will run it for at least 6 seasons and increase the episodes per season to 13 like in season 1.

15. NueDay says:

I stumbled upon Hemlock Grove, did not know it existed. I sat and watch every episode and could not understand why there is little to marketing or advertising of this series. I am excited to see season 2. Sadly the ratings were low because not many people know about it; it’s all about marketing and advertising. If more people know about it I have no doubts that the ratings will be pleasing.

• JoeR says:

Ratings weren’t all that low. In fact, from what I’ve heard, it rated higher than the first season of HOUSE OF CARDS. However, it IS true that there seems to be next-to=none promotion of the series by Netflix. Maybe they WANT it to die…with effects, the budget may be higher than other series they run and perhaps they want an excuse to end the series. Only reason I can think of.

16. David Jones says:

Hemlock Grove is netflix’ best series! & Blue is the warmest color best streamer— reasons I subscribe

17. I really enjoyed Hemlock Grove and am excited for it to continue! Netflix needs to promote it more. I stumbled across it by accident and had never even seen anything about it. I don’t even know anyone else who has watched it. Hopefully itwill getsome attention now. I think Famke should have got an Emmy for her role. She is lushishly evil.

18. Peet says:

I’m glad they continue with season 2, however 10 episodes aren’t much. :( They trying to hard with House of Cards, which I don’t particularly like because of the fact that the main character keeps talking out to the audience (to us) and it makes completely fake the whole thing for me. So I’m all for Orange is the the new black and Hemlock Grove and The Killing! Please Netflix keep these shows coming!!!

• Brittany says:

I think hemlock grove, terra nova, and revolution are the best series out their!!! And of course pritty little liers! These are the series I wait for on netflix if u keep them flowing and updated I think they would get more popular! I’m in love with these series that I to have watch each show more than once 4/24/14

19. Rebecca Blakeley says:

Hemlock Grove? More like, Hemlock droves of people waiting to watch it. My heart aches to think that there will only be 10 episodes instead of 13. Does this mean they are on their way out, and there will not be a third season? I will not have it-they will crush my dreams of the only vampires and werewolves worth watching. Let the dragon out, Netflix. Let it fly.

• Frances says:

This comment delights me. I agree that in this series are the only vampires and werewolves worth watching. “Let the dragon out, Netflix. Let it fly.”
      thank you for really saying the magic of this series Rebecca! I am so sorry this excellent series has been treated so shabbily. May the powers that be let it continue!

20. Kat says:

are you kidding? .. not a strong show? .. This show was AMAZING and I’m glad they are bringing it back .. I think Netflix producers need to take a trip to a Sci-Fi Con (there are multiple) and say that it didn’t bring in the ratings and see what happens .. raw eggs will fly! .. seriously one of my favorite shows they produce along with House of Cards .. take your head out of the sand Netflix.

• Frances says:

Completely agree. This is my favorite show of all time and I can’t believe more people don’t know about it. I too stumbled on it by accident. Now I am addicted.

21. Art Heyer says:

great show very entertaining

22. Lisa Garnier says:

So ridiculously excited!!!! I have watched and rewatched the first season a few times. I was hooked by the first episode! Awesome news!!!

23. Bill says:

I am very disappointed that I have to wait until July to see the second season of Hemlock Grove when the first season aired in April, 2013. House of Cards and Orange are nothing in comparison to Hemlock Grove but it seems like they got top priority. I am also disappointed that there will only be 10 new episodes instead of 13 like there were last year. Come on, Netflix.

• Judy says:

I agree with Bill on all points
      completely! Very disappointed to have to wait until July, Who knows, I may not be subscribing to Netflix in July since I have discovered Amazon Prime. I enjoyed House of Cards but hated Orange.

24. JoeR says:

A much better show then that ORANGE yawn-fest, it didn’t get the buzz probably because of the genre. Happy to hear that viewers still matter more than publicity.

More Digital News from Variety