‘South Park’ All Past Seasons Moving to Hulu Under Exclusive Pact

‘South Park’ All Past Seasons Moving

Internet TV site lands exclusive streaming rights to animated series under three-year deal with Comedy Central and show creators Parker and Stone

The “South Park” lads are heading on down to Hulu — in a big way.

The Hulu Plus subscription service will become the exclusive online-streaming home for all past seasons of the long-running Comedy Central show, following the season 18 premiere on the cable channel Sept. 24.

Hulu cut the three-year deal with South Park Digital Studios, a joint venture between Viacom and “South Park” creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone. In 2008, the South Park partners launched all seasons of the adult-themed animated show in free, ad-supported format on SouthParkStudios.com — but with the new deal, as of this fall, those will be streaming only on the $7.99-per month Hulu Plus.

Starting Saturday, July 12, the entire “South Park” library — 244 episodes in all — will be available for free on Hulu, and will continue to be free on SouthPark.cc.com (the address that is replacing SouthParkStudios.com) until Sept. 24. At that point, both Hulu and SouthPark.cc.com will have day-after-air access to new episodes from season 18. In addition, each of the sites will offer a revolving selection of 30 free episodes at any given time.

“This is a natural partnership for us,” Parker and Stone said in a prepared statement. “We are excited that the entire library will be available on Hulu and that the best technology around will power South Park Digital Studios.” The duo, together with Comedy Central, evidently concluded that an SVOD licensing agreement would be a more lucrative way to monetize the older episodes.

“‘South Park’ has revolutionized TV and pushed boundaries with unparalleled topicality and daring humor,” said Craig Erwich, who joined Hulu as head of content from Warner Horizon Television this spring. “‘South Park’ has been one of the top 10 most popular shows of all time on the platform. We’re thrilled to offer the series to fans in its entirety.”

Under the pact, Hulu also will power the video and advertising on SouthPark.cc.com, which will continue to host all “South Park”-related content beyond the TV episodes (including show history, trivia, production blog and extras).

“South Park” is exec produced by Parker and Stone, along with Anne Garefino and Frank C. Agnone II. Eric Stough, Adrien Beard, Bill Hader, Bruce Howell and Vernon Chatman are producers.

Hulu, a joint venture of Disney, 21st Century Fox and NBCUniversal, made the “South Park” announcement today at the Television Critics Assn. summer press tour in Los Angeles.

Also at TCA, the company announced the renewal of original teen drama “East Los High” for a third season. “East Lost High” is the first English-language TV show with an all-Latino cast and has been popular with women 18-25. Season two of the series launched July 9.

Other originals Hulu has queued up for summer debuts are reality-TV parody “The Hotwives of Orlando” (launching July 15) and season two of Western comedy “Quick Draw” (Aug. 7).

1. Jonas Briton says:

some nerve after a shitty 18th season

2. hilarytsai says:

Man, F*** that, do they think we have that kind of money to spend on something we got used to being free??

3. im not spending $8 a month for ads. I’m defiantly not supporting this

4. Nicole says:

8 bucks a month for ads? Not a chance. I hate to say it, but im gonna have to resort to third party sites for south park, and my guess is that many other once loyal southparkstudios.com users will be doing the same.

5. mike hunt says:

well, you just lost a fan. And yes, people are right – you are sellouts. From the looks of things, everyone has made quite a bit of $$ from this show – producers to animators. I think at the start you were in it for the comedy and the art, which made it a instant hit. But it seems the show has strayed and this looks like a last dig by someone to mine the show for the last few dollars. Its too bad bc this show was gold and should be there for all to see like it originally was. Now it will just fade into the past and be forgotten. This is how you become a nobody.

But to put it on hulu is just a low blow. HULU sucks. Big fan of SP but will never pay 7.99 to see adds. Way to lose a generation of fans.

6. DLH says:

What’s the point of putting it on a service that’s only available in the US? Hulu’s lame.

7. Seumas says:

Once again, another show made almost impossible to watch on the internet from Canada outside of third-party websites. As Hulu is inaccessible from Canada, we can’t watch anything on the site from here. A whole load of bullshit if you as me.

8. Dylan Napier says:

All 17 seasons of South Park have been on Hulu for, like, a year now. All that’s happening is new episodes will air a day later on Hulu? That’s how almost ALL their programming works. Is this even really worth the article?

• Greg says:

South Park episodes were never on Hulu before. Hulu used to redirect to the South Park Studios website where people in all countries could watch the episodes, with way less commercials.
      After September 24, you’ll have to have a Hulu Plus subscription to watch old episodes.

• Matt says:

Yes its worth the article because now people who have been using south park studios for free will have to pay 8 bucks a month for a Hulu subscription.

9. Wes Miller says:

yes – i know – you would like everyone to create their content and show it to you for FREE -afterall, no one else deserves to eat, have a home, vacation or even buy clothes – everyone should be willing to provide you with their work for FREE. Maybe you should go to work for free too. Afterall, I’m sure that whatever it is you do isn’t worth paying for ither.

• Chase says:

Sorry but no. They’re richer than God.

• Seumas says:

ADDITION: Besides, they were WILLINGLY OFFERING THEIR OWN SHOW FOR FREE before this whole deal with Hulu. And now you’re going to go saying that $8 per month for something that the creators were originally putting up for free themselves in reasonable? Sod in the right direction of off.

• the_dutch says:

hulu makes it almost imposible to watch southpark outside the U.S.A in a legal way

so yeah FUC& HULU

10. Carmen White says:

thank you for being sell outs i really enjoy the show and more so when it was free thanks a lot jerks

• Wes Miller says:

yes – i know – you would like everyone to create their content and show it to you for FREE -afterall, no one else deserves to eat, have a home, vacation or even buy clothes – everyone should be willing to provide you with their work for FREE. Maybe you should go to work for free too. Afterall, I’m sure that whatever it is you do isn’t worth paying for either.

• Charis says:

Excuse me, even in the old website there were commercials. What do you mean “for FREE”? They were getting paid through commercials.

11. Fred Smith says:

I’m guessing all the clips on youtube will get take down notices which will suck.

12. nnaatteedd says:

I assume Netflix will lose the episodes.
    I’m wondering if they’ll actually have the original super best friends from season 5 episode 3. Netflix pulled all of those discs and don’t have the episode to stream.
    Just looked at Netflix and they’ve already removed South park from streaming.

• J says:

Netflix hasn’t had South park other than the movie for a long time now. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

13. fartgarfunkeey says:

Stop calling Matt Stone and Trey Parker sellouts… they didn’t have much of a say in this issue. Viacom made a deal with hulu in 2011, and now south park will be on hulu just like colbert report and daily show.

• James says:

They ARE sellouts. They own the SP content and chose to put it off their own website and give the exclusivity to Hulu. What you are saying is that Viacom owns South Park rights, while Matt and Trey are just some kind of observers in all this, which is ridiculous.

14. afmasdlfkm erwerwefsdf says:

ok but what about… netflix?

15. dogon says:

Bet they still wont show 200 or 201.

16. dave says:

Good excuse to make more “money”!! Babbylon got to you. Sorry to hear that..

17. AFS says:

Terribly written article. So will the episodes be available on the south park site or not?! First you say they will be “exclusively” on Hulu an no longer on the old site. Then you say that both Hulu and the south park site will be showing 30 old episodes at a time. So which one IS IT? They can’t be ONLY on hulu if they are also being shown on the old site. Did an editor even read this article? Terrible, terrible writing.

• Seumas says:

Do your own research. SouthParkStudios.com now automatically redirects to SouthPark.cc.com, which is now covered in Hulu nonsense. So, in order to watch EVERY SINGLE EPISODE, you’ll have to pay for the monthly sub to Hulu. However, SouthParkStudios will still have the revolving 30 free episodes, but not the entire library, because it’ll be controlled by Hulu as well.

Do some thinking and re-reading before you accuse someone of terrible writing.

18. Jon says:

Does ‘the entire “South Park” library’ include the Super Best Friends episode and episodes 200 and 201?

19. Stuart baker says:

That’s all right for ppl who live in the states who can use those sites but what bout the ppl who live in the uk and the rest of the world

20. cptndingus says:

Still not enough to make me subscribe to Hulu.

21. rich at says:

Well they only have a gulf stream 3, now they can afford an gulf stream 4. :)

22. Jeff says:

Yet another show you have to pay a network to see 1st Dontown Abby what’s next abc on HULU?

23. ColdFusion says:

Hopefully unedited

24. Moke says:

their seasons have been on decline. They’ve strayed from their roots and it certainly seems like they’ve been putting out less episodes. If you ask me, this will be their last season and they can still make more money with this hulu crap.

25. Roz Finch says:

Do Matt & Trey not have enough money?

26. Elliot says:

In other words, Matt and Trey (and CC by proxy) SOLD OUT! SPS.com was the last refuge for real fans to watch classic episodes without having to be bombarded by ads or shelling out in pay to play.

• Did you ever see that hot tub video Matt & Trey did? Way ahead of it’s time, I thought, where they say verbatim “we couldn’t wait to get successful and start selling out.” And though they’re being funny, they’re teaching the cynical youth that we’re all here for money, people, and stop thinking you’re Van Gogh. Selling out is not a bad thing. And it’s been on the air for 15 years and on instant for several, if you haven’t seen them you either didn’t care to or you’re 16 and just started smoking.

27. Maree says:

I love family guy

28. joaco says:

Pathetic.
    I expect this of every other show, but southpark?
    Ugh.

29. Patrick says:

sell outs when they started they said anyone could download there show for free

30. HaiGuize says:

Lol. Good luck, no one likes Hulu. 7.99 for commercials, nope.

31. Peezn says:

What about streaming in austria/europe?

32. They have 247 episodes overall so the article said 244 that means “Super Best Friends” from season 5 and episodes 200 and 201 will still not be available for streaming because of Mohammad being referenced in the episodes, just to clear that up for anybody asking

33. Derek says:

1. Please have all episodes, ALL of them. South Park makes fun of everybody, not just Muslims, so stop crying and bring them back.
    2. Booth at the End. You left us with a cliffhanger. You owe us a conclusion.

34. Josh Rood says:

but what about the muhammad episodes??

35. Mad Dabs says:

Hulu has some nice stuff, and I’ve had a good time on their free account even though the selection in certain areas has been severely limited to “hulu plus” members only. each and every day they pull me a little bit closer to getting a hulu plus account, and I just might when I’m not as broke as I am right now. All these improvements in Hulu make you wonder……..Is hulu really an evil plot to destroy the world? they just might be…….

36. Dawn says:

Will they have episodes 200 and 201?

37. SK says:

Damn… I love South Park but I would never pay hulu to watch it. I subscribed to hulu once and hated it. I paid for it but still had to be annoyed by so many ads.

• Mad Dabs says:

really? I figured the ad’s would at least be less if you paid for it. looks like I’m not getting a hulu plus account after all……ever………

38. Praveen Kumar says:

I hate hulu plus solely because I have to watch through advertisements even though I pay like 8$ a month.. That Sucks.. Pls. include the series in Netflix or at-least keep things the same way..

39. LosPer says:

Add me to the list of people who believe this is a terrible move. I tried Hulu plus. Despise it.

40. tyler says:

well i thought they were already free on comedy central? so now i have to pay to watch naa ill pass.

41. Damn. I love Southpark, and I love Matt and Trey, everything they have done is gold. It is a shame I will no longer have the privilege of watching my favorite show of all time. I tried Hulu plus and hated it. I won’t subscribe to watch any specific show.

42. Jack says:

Yay! :D Almost all of the episodes were already on Hulu and I think they might add the few of those that are censored :D

43. Patty says:

I agree, This is awful. I don’t like ir use Hulu- nor do I Know anyone who does. I am however on the comedy central site almost constantly. Comedy Central is South Park’s home and that is where it should stay. I did try Hulu once, and was completely unimpressed

44. oantixo says:

Hulu needed something over netflix. The movie selection on hulu sucks. I had it free for a year and watched a movie twice and the movie was lame. Netflix has way more to offer. Bad move for southpark. I was wondering why I couldn’t find sp on netflix anymore. That sucks. I can’t see getting hulu only for southpark though. It’s just not worth it.

45. Kelzak says:

This is such a bad move. I don’t know anyone who uses HULU, but I do know many people who use Netflix, my family included. We were extremely disappointed when South Park was removed from Netflix.

46. jgibson233 says:

Awful move, South Park.

“Oh my God, they killed SouthParkStudios.com! You bastards!” sums it all up.

47. Carc says:

What about Canadian fans?… We don’t have hulu…

48. Anthony Clay says:

What sell outs!!!! wow this is sick!!! i hope south park dies now.

49. Annie Lee says:

Just another website for us Aussies to see that we’re not eligible to see.

Seconded about why we have torrents.

50. Nicolas Hernandez says:

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.

More Digital News from Variety