Amazon to Order Four Series Including Drama From ‘X-Files’ Creator (Exclusive)

Dramas 'The After,' 'Bosch,' comedies 'Mozart in the Jungle,' 'Transparent' greenlighted

Amazon Studios has settled on four series orders among the 10 pilots the company announced last month were under consideration, according to sources close to the deals.

A rep for Amazon Studios declined comment.

Getting the greenlight will be “Bosch,”  a cop drama based on Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series, written by Eric Overmyer and Connelly. Pilot follows title character, played by Titus Welliver (“Argo,” “The Good Wife”) as he pursues the killer of a 13-year-old boy while standing trial in federal court on accusations that he murdered a suspected serial killer in cold blood. Cast includes: Annie Wersching, Amy Price-Francis and Jamie Hector. Henrik Bastin of Fabrik Entertainment (“The Killing”) produced and Jim McKay directed the pilot.

Written and directed by Chris Carter (“The X-Files”), “The After” is a drama that follows eight strangers thrown together by mysterious forces and who must help each other survive in a violent world that defies explanation. Executive producer is Marc Rosen of Georgeville Television and produced by Gabe Rotter. Cast includes: Aldis Hodge, Andrew Howard, Arielle Kebbel, Jamie Kennedy, Sharon Lawrence, Jaina Lee Ortiz, Adrian Pasdar and Louise Monot.

In addition to the two drama orders, two comedy orders: “Mozart in the Jungle” a dramedy based on a memoir by Blair Tindall about what happens behind the curtains at the symphony. Written by Roman Coppola (“Moonrise Kingdom,” “The Darjeeling Limited”), actor-musician Jason Schwartzman (“Saving Mr. Banks,” “Moonrise Kingdom”) and writer-director Alex Timbers (Broadway’s “Peter and the Starcatcher”). Paul Weitz (“About a Boy,” “Admission”) directed the pilot and executive produced. Cast includes: Gael Garcia Bernal, Saffron Burrows, Lola Kirke, Malcom McDowell, Bernadette Peters and Peter Vack.

“Transparent” is a dark comedy about an L.A. family with serious boundary issues. Written and directed by Jill Soloway (“Afternoon Delight,” “Six Feet Under” and “United States of Tara”). Cast includes: Jeffrey Tambor, Judith Light, Gaby Hoffmann, Amy Landecker and Jay Duplass.

That doesn’t look good for a fifth series under consideration, “The Rebels,” a sports comedy written by Jeremy Garelick and Jon Weinbach and exec produced by Matt Alvarez (“Ride Along”).

Still unknown is the fate of five of the 10 series in the kids genre: “Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street,” “Hardboiled Eggheads, “The Jo B. & G. Raff Show,” “Maker Shack Agency” and “Wishenpoof!”).

Amazon Studios made decisions based on viewer feedback and ratings, as it did for its first round of pilots last year, which yielded two original series, comedies “Alpha House” and “Betas.” “The After” and “Bosch” would be its first drama orders.

1. Warren Gunther says:

It would be a SIN to not see more of The After. All the wine and mansions would not make life worthwhile without this show….
    Please don’t clown around and avoid more episodes. I’m not asking for everything, and I don’t have to be on top of it all… I’m just hungry for more… pool time.

I like this show! I would be soo perturbed if it does not continue!

2. Voice of Reason says:

“Bosch” was outstanding. Having seen Welliver in so many weasely roles over the years, I doubted he’d be able to pull it off, but by golly he and the show sucked me in.

“The After” just plain sucked. It was only interesting in the last three minutes. Plot holes, dramatically convenient motivation…all very weak.

3. Montel Paige says:

I am SUPER HAPPY that THE AFTER is being picked up. I watched most of the Amazon pilots and the only two that jumped out at me were THE AFTER and MAKER SHACK AGENCY. BOSCH is ok and I can take or leave it. Should they have continued it? Well as long as THE AFTER is getting picked up, then feel free to pick up BOSCH also!

4. I cannot believe anyone who likes The X Files would support “The After”. Lame dialogue, whiney characters, way too much profanity with really no need. I like the idea of Harry Bosch and hope Michael Connelly rides herd on this show to keep it true to his vision of Bosch. Maybe it’s a generational difference, but I am shocked “The After” finds people who are supportive, after that original pilot episode.

5. Matty says:

Bosch was great, so I’m pleased about that. The After was appalling, though. Packed with so much trying-too-hard bad language that eventually just seems comical rather than ‘gritty’.

• Jax says:

And don’t forget the trying-too-hard nudity. Oh look, the world has gone batsh*t crazy and I’m stuck at a house with total strangers. Think I’ll strip down and go swim in the pool.

6. Jeannie says:

Hooray for Bosch!
    I found Transparent barely watchable but loved Mozart in the Jungle.

7. Aimee says:

I agree Bosch was the best of the bunch. So far I agree with all their choices. I hope they DON’T pick up The Rebels. It was horrible. It had every single cliche in the book and that was just in the first 10 minutes. Natalie Zea can do so much better.

8. Paul Harwood says:

Bosch Bosch Bosch….nothing more to say :)

9. Catherine says:

SO EXCITED to see more Bosch!!!

10. Charles says:

“Pilot follows title character, played by Titus Welliver (“Argo,” “The Good Wife”) as he pursues the killer of a 13-year-old boy while standing trial in federal court on accusations that he murdered a suspected serial killer in cold blood.” – Not to quibble about plot details but I think Bosch was being sued in civil court by the suspected serial killer/rapist’s family.

11. Jin says:

There are too many tv shows being made. I just don’t have the time to watch all the good ones.

12. Brendan says:

Glad Bosch got the season order.

13. Sonia says:

I’m ecstatic about The After! Can’t even contain the excitement seriously! SOOOOOO GOOODDDDD!!!!! Thank you Amazon!!!!!!!! Thank you Chris Carter and thank you to all the cast and crew, amazing job! Can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!

14. saffron says:

Well, they included the three best of the pilots. I didn’t care for Mozart (and I am a classical music fan, but maybe that was the problem). I watched the other three all the way through, and those were the only ones I could hang on that long for. However, The After seems too dependent on cliched characters, Transparent has a thin premise that could wear out quickly and Bosch just isn’t my thing, another cop show, ye gods. This year’s crop is an improvement over last year’s, but not nearly enough to make me rethink my Netflix subscription. Amazon has a long ways to go before they get into House of Cards/Orange is the New Black territory.

15. Mary Martinson says:

I’m happy to see Bosch greenlighted. It was by far the best of the choices. Titus Welliver seemed perfect for the role. I like Natalie Zea and think she is beautiful and talented, but I don’t think “the Rebels” would be a good place for her to shine. Too juvenile, stereotypical media football player types with bad language abounding. I hope she finds something more suitable. Loved her on Justified.

16. Jason says:

Bosch! Good stuff.

17. I found The After to be way too much of a bait & switch, but it does have potential. Bosch was easily my favorite drama pilot and I found it to be a toss-up between Mozart in the Jungle and Transparent as to which was better (Mozart had a great take on a world we’ve never seen on TV, while Transparent was goofier and featured Jeffrey Tambor in exactly the right kind of role).

Blast ! Now I may just have to subscribe to Amazon Prime!

18. I’m a huge X-Files fan and found myself enjoying The After, despite completely understanding the criticisms many voiced against it. I’m excited to see where it goes. I loathed Mozart and Transparent was barely even ok, but it will get heralded as brilliant for no good reason. I could see Bosch being a hit for them. Seems like a solid crime series. Kind of sad that all but The Rebels won’t get a shot. Sure, it was broad and silly, but it was actually quite funny. My reviews: http://www.untemperedtv.com/?p=386

19. James says:

I loved ‘Mozart in the Jungle’. Good news!

20. Nicole says:

I personally preferred The Rebels over Transparent. Hoping the Rebels gets picked.

21. John says:

“The After” seemed like a typical, Chris Carter-created, contrived, far-fetched, open-ended story that most probably will lead to nowhere – a giant waste of time. But kudos to Amazon for also greenlighting “Bosch,” which was far more subtle, intelligent and engrossing for only a fraction of “The After’s” budget.

• jedi77 says:

Completely agree. ‘The After’ is going to be pointless and will end before its time with no plausible explanation given. Maybe if it was designed as a mini-series, I would give it a go, but open-ended, no way. I’ve been burned too many times before. And the characters were mostly obnoxious anyway.
      Bosch, though – hell yeah!!! Titus all the way!! Best first name ever BTW.

More Digital News from Variety