Amazon Renews ‘Transparent’ for Season 2

Amy Landecker and Jeffrey Tambor in

Amazon Studios has ordered a second season of Jill Soloway’s dark comedy “Transparent,” with the company saying the freshman run has been No. 1 on Prime Instant Video since its launch two weeks ago.

The show, starring Jeffrey Tambor as a transgendered parent who comes out to the L.A. family’s adult kids, is the most-binge-watched show even on Amazon’s Prime Instant Video, according to the company. Nearly 80% of viewers have watched two or more episodes of “Transparent” in the same day, according to Amazon. The second season is slated to hit Amazon in 2015.

“Our goal is to create series that customers love, so it’s great to hear that ‘Transparent’ has not only risen to the No. 1 series on Prime Instant Video, but that it’s deemed ‘binge-worthy’ as well,” Amazon Studios VP Roy Price said in a statement. “Given all the great feedback, it only makes sense to bring the Pfeffermans back next year in season two.”

However, like Netflix, Amazon does not release actual viewing metrics although the ecommerce company publishes relative rankings of the most popular content on Prime Instant Video.

Amazon also touted the critical reception for “Transparent,” noting that the show has a 98% critic rating Rotten Tomatoes and a 91 score on Metacritic. Variety’s Brian Lowry said the series “establishes its ensemble as one worth watching (or bingeing) over 10 episodes,” representing “the sort of breakthrough destined to firmly put Amazon’s nascent original programming push on the map.”

All 10 half-hour episodes of “Transparent” season one debuted exclusively on Prime Instant Video on Sept. 26. The series, which Amazon describes as “novelistic,” stars Tambor (“Arrested Development”) as Maura, who has spent her life as Mort, patriarch of the Pfefferman family patriarch. “Transparent” also stars Judith Light (“Dallas”), Gaby Hoffmann (“Girls”), Amy Landecker (“Louie”) and Jay Duplass (“Togetherness”).

1. Charlyne says:

Great show – watched initially because of the transgender issue. However, I agree with the below comment about enough with the sex already! Move along and show more of Maura/Mort’s dilemmas please

2. Cynthia. A says:

Absolutely love Transparent, Love the way it was edited right down to the script, I really really hope theres a season 2 coming soon this year, I’m 100% spreading the word about the show!

3. Janice F. Ball says:

Just finished Season 1 and am so glad to hear that there will be a Season 2. Love
    Jeffrey Tambor in this role and mainly keep watching because of him. The actors that
    play his children are very good and I love their interaction with each other and with their
    father/mother but all the sex going on with all of them gets old after a while. Trust me, I
    am no prude but enough is enough!! Happy happy lady today to know that in time
    I will be able to watch Season 2. Thank you Amazon. : )

4. Darlene says:

Just finished season one of Transparent and above the unique and impeccable writing of the script, the actors are top notch. You become sympathic to their everyday goings on and only wish that the storyline would not end so quickly with each episode. The best series on the air so far.

Darlene

5. Janet says:

What a funny, touching and groundbreaking show. We binge watched the whole series in one day!

6. Nancy says:

Really liked it! Well done.

7. Annie Oakley says:

I was pretty disappointed by transparent. The pilot was good bu then the series turned out to be like every other family drama series before it.

• CYL says:

This show is overhyped because of the content and subject matter. It is not that good of a show, and there are far funnier, edgier and more dramatically-interesting shows that this. Ho-hum.

• Annie Oakley says:

oops I meant the L word not the real l word.

• Annie Oakley says:

I don’t know if it’s overhyped, or if i is it’s probably started because the pilot was really interesting. Some parts of the show were really enjoyable but a lot of the drama and storyline became really lackluster. I felt at times like I was watching boring daytime tv. I really liked the original real l word but this transgender show failed to keep me interested. and I don’t even mind watching soapies some of the time. I did like Jay Duplass and some of Gabys Work. Somehow I felt like the other actors were underused and the show was poorly written.

8. David says: