ABC Sues Prospect Park Seeking Unpaid Licensing Fees for ‘One Life to Live,’ ‘All My Children’

All My Children

ABC has struck back against Prospect Park Networks — the producer of now-dormant digital versions of “One Life to Live” and “All My Children” that filed for bankrupcy protection this week — with the Alphabet net filing a lawsuit seeking at least $5 million in damages plus unpaid licensing fees for the two shows.

According to ABC’s lawsuit, Prospect Park was obligated to pay fees for the first seasons of “OLTL” and “AMC,” which it debuted online last year, amounting to $4 million for the former and $4.5 million for the latter.

However, according to the network’s complaint, Prospect Park paid licensing fees for “OLTL” only for April-June 2013 and for “AMC”(cast pictured, above) for July and August. ABC, which filed the cross-complaint March 7 in Los Angeles Superior Court, is demanding unpaid fees — including interest — from Prospect Park as well as at least $5 million in damages.

Prospect Park in August 2013 ceased production on the two soaps. In its bankruptcy filing, Prospect Park Networks listed ABC as its top creditor with the studio saying it owes about $1.7 million to the network.

A rep for Prospect Park did not respond to a request for comment.

SEE ALSO: Digital Soaps Producer Prospect Park Networks Files for Bankruptcy

Prospect Park had sued ABC for breach of contract, alleging the net killed off two “One Life to Live” characters and effectively killed off a third character to sabotage Prospect Park’s online resurrection of the show. The studio expanded the lawsuit last fall alleging ABC borrowed “OLTL” characters in order to create a “mega-soap” merging that show with “General Hospital.” Prospect Park Networks is seeking at least $95 million plus punitive damages from ABC.

ABC, which has called Prospect Park’s claims “baseless,” said in its lawsuit that the total series fees for both shows under the licensing deal — over the course of 15 seasons — would have been worth more than $145 million.

Prospect Park, meanwhile, said the bankruptcy filing doesn’t affect its litigation against ABC. In addition, Prospect Park said its talent and management business is unrelated to the bankruptcy filing, as are Prospect Park’s TV productions: “Royal Pains” on USA Network, “Wilfred” for FX and “Salem” for WGN America.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 4

Leave a Reply

4 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. nickp91 says:

    there is a good chance ABC would revive the shows

  2. charcramer says:

    ABC needs to get these shows back on their afternoon lineup. The fans will watch! They never should have cancelled them in the first place, but people forget, and forgive. ABC now has the chance to be the the hero.

    • Abby says:

      You nailed it. ABC should cut the litigation and play nice with Prospect Park and get the rights to the shows back. Only problem is do they really care that their daytime programming has tanked? ABC, penny wise and pound foolish.

      • Shawn says:

        What’s they deal? They cancelled both hit soaps shows and now they are sabotaged Prospect Park by killing off three characters of OLTL and trying their best to get these shows cancelled again! They must be scared that AMC and OLTL will be way better than GH.
        If they want it back, then put back AMC on 12pm and OLTL on 1pm!

More Digital News from Variety

Loading