In honor of David Letterman’s retirement announcement, we’ve compiled a Top 10 list of some of his best moments on the “Late Show.”
10. Drew Barrymore flashes David Letterman on his birthday.
9. Crispin Glover nearly kicks Letterman – he appears to be high – and Letterman goes to a commercial. When he returns, the actor is gone.
8. Warren Zevon appears on the show after a fatal cancer diagnosis. They talk about his life and career.
7. Letterman hosts Dan Rather – who breaks down in tears – on his first show post the Sept. 11 terror attacks.
6. Johnny Carson appears on Letterman after retiring from “The Tonight Show” and brings his own desk with him.
5. Joaquin Phoenix stops by the “Late Show” bearded and wearing sunglasses for one of the most bizarre talk show appearances in recent memory (Phoenix later apologized for his behavior and said it was for his documentary spoof “I’m Still Here”).
4. Letterman has to apologize for telling a joke about Sarah Palin’s daughter. (Here’s the joke)
3. John McCain cancels an appearance on Letterman at the last minute during the 2008 campaign, then goes and gets interviewed by CBS News. Letterman lets him have it in an extended monologue.
2. Letterman jousts with Bill O’Reilly about the conflict in Iraq. Some zingers: “You’re putting words in my mouth, just like you’re putting artificial facts in your head,” and “I have no idea what I’m talking about, but I don’t think you do either.”
1. Madonna appeared on the show in 1994 and dropped a whopping 14 f-bombs in one of the most talked about late night appearance of the ’90s. After she walked off stage, Letterman quipped “”Oh, I see we’ve been canceled.”