Malaysia Poised to Become Film Center for Entire East Asia Region
Malaysia is primed to become one of the next film hubs in the East. Pinewood’s Iskandar Malaysia Studios, just added to the country’s production infrastructure, has pulled in big-budget projects such as the Netflix/Weinstein Co. series “Marco Polo.” Legendary Pictures’ upcoming “Blackhat,” helmed by Michael Mann and starring Chris Hemsworth, was the first to use Malaysia’s recently introduced cash rebate.
– 30% cash rebate on qualifying Malaysian production expenditure
– $2.3m funding cap on any single cast or crew salary
– $1.5m minimum spend, inclusive of post-production
– $450,000 minimum spend for post-only activity
– 30% – portion of crew that must be Malaysian citizens or residents
– 3 to 7 – number of crew trainees required per project, depending on production budget
Information courtesy of EP Financial Solutions, a production incentive consulting and financial services company.