‘Annie’ Costume Designer Creates Target Clothing Line

Annie Quvenzhane Wallis Sony
Raymond Hall/FilmMagic

Hey hobo man, hey Dapper Dan: Target is partnering with the costume designer of the upcoming “Annie” remake on an apparel line.

Renée Ehrlich Kalfus has created a 25-piece limited-edition collection of girl’s apparel and accessories line that hits stores and Target.com starting Nov. 16. The mix-and-match collection includes patchwork, embroidery, pins, buttons, tulle and, of course, Annie’s iconic red dress and heart-shaped locket. The collection also includes a DIY kit to inspire creativity in budding fashionistas. Keeping an eye on customers’ bottom dollars, each item is priced at less than $30.

“Target is excited to bring guests a piece of the ‘Annie’ movie magic, just in time for the holiday season,” said Stacia Andersen, senior vice president of apparel and accessories for Target. “The collection’s mix-and-match theme inspires girls to express themselves by creating a look all their own, at prices moms and dads will appreciate.”

While Target has long been known for its partnerships with high-end fashion labels like Rodarte, Proenza Schouler and Jason Wu, this is the first time it has partnered with a costume designer.

“We are thrilled to be part of Target’s first collaboration with a costume designer and their first holiday capsule collection for kids,” said George Leon, executive vice president and head of consumer marketing at Sony Pictures, which is producing the film. “Just like our film, this collection was made with every girl in mind. Girls are going to fall in love with it.”

annie target clothing line

This move is the latest step in the crossover between Hollywood and retailers, particularly when it comes to costume designers. “Saturday Night Live” costume designer Tom Broecker is overseeing a Saks line to honor the long-running sketch comedy show’s 40th anniversary, while “Mad Men’s” Janie Bryant, “Pretty Little Liars'” Mandi Line and “Scandal’s” Lyn Paolo have also seen recent success in this arena. Lionsgate also created a whole fashion and beauty campaign around its “Hunger Games” franchise. Aside from a beauty partnership with CoverGirl, that film also enlisted costume designer Trish Summerville to create a capsule collection for Net-a-Porter.

“Annie,” which stars Quvenzhané Wallis, Jamie Foxx, Rose Byrne, Bobby Cannavale, and Cameron Diaz, opens on Dec. 19.

1. Stop the Racism says:

You people whining about a non-black girl being on display because the actress in the mocie was black are a bunch of senseless idiots. Im so sick of the politically correct mob always trying to place race as a main focus.

STFU and live your lives! Hey, maybe the girl beat out the performances than anyone else.

2. kim says:

I had to see it for myself. I can’t believe Target would stoop so low well guess who’s not buying the little red dress ….

3. leniceyd says:

The Annie in-store displays feature Caucasian models, except the single photo with a biracial child behind a Caucasian one. The previous collections, such as Disney’s shows, feature the actual actresses on the displays. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a display that didn’t have the actress in the shots. Why, when there are so few African American actresses in feature length films would Target whitewash this display? It’s bad enough that there are few African American dolls available in your stores until Christmas (except the hideous Monster High character). This smacks of prejudice. Target has recently introduced Ethnic hair care products such as Carol’s Daughter and Mixed Chicks, so to take such a step backward is disheartening.

4. Zsanara says:

To the designer Rachel and whoever created the pictures and pictures for the new line. I was so disappointed and upset as I walked through Target with my daughter to see the new Annie clothing line inspired by the movie did not have ONE brown skinned girl in any of the display and ad campaigns! Not one! Yes there is a light brown girl who looks biracial and an Asian girl but not ONE brown skinned girl who looks like my daughter or the little girl who is playing Annie in the remake. What a strong and wrong message to send! Are you saying that girls who are the same or darker skin tone as the little girl playing Annie in the remake cant wear the new line or arent pretty enough to model or wear the clothes? Are you saying that in 2014 nobody thought about included at least one black girl in the ads and pictures???
    How sad!
    What a terrible message to send to so many girls in this world.
    My 12 year old daughter noticed it on her own and I had no excuse to give her in your defense.
    I truly hope you will go back to whoever did the ad and pictures for the line and redo it.
    Until then, me and several other African Americans will not be buying it. Please tel me who we need to complain to.
    Sincerely
    Zsanara
    #inclusion#allcolorsmatter#whataboutmydaughter#wherearetheblackgirls?

5. Verona says:

Greetings, I do believe your site could possibly be having internet browser compatibility problems. Whenever I look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in Internet Explorer, it’s got some overlapping issues. I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Aside from that, wonderful website!

6. Clint says:

Thanks for finally talking about >Annie Costume Designer Creates Target Clothing Line <Liked it!

7. Virgilio says:

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

8. Myrtle says:

Buying followers decreases the operate you have to do, freeing you from your attempts of wooing and courting followers for your profile. Now is this an incredibly good factor for you or a lousy issue. Though Twitter’s terms of service specifically prohibit “mass account creating” and trading in accounts and followers, there’s a loophole just too large, you could drive a plane carrier through it.

9. Alexandria says:

Why viewers still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe everything is existing on net?

10. Ashley says:

If some one needs to be updated with most recent technologies afterward he must be pay a quick visit this web page and be up to date daily.

11. Kayla says:

Hello colleagues, its fantastic piece of writing on the topic of cultureand fully defined, keep it up all the time.

12. Rochelle says:

Business owners can’t afford full-time workers when hiring two people to do one job is cheaper. Production quotas were used to get prices up in oil. After getting the Nobel Peace Prize, Obama bowed to the military industrial complex and sent a huge increase of troops and supplies to Afghanistan.

13. Frankie says:

Great goods from you, man. I’ve take into account your stuff previous to and you are simply too wonderful. I really like what you have bought right here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way through which you assert it. You are making it entertaining and you continue to care for to keep it smart. I can’t wait to learn much more from you. This is actually a great web site.

14. Bobbye says:

This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something which helped me. Many thanks!

15. Nannette says:

Hi there, its pleasant paragraph concerning media print, we all be aware of media is a fantastic source of information.

16. Jina says:

One of the techniques in the arsenal of the sales staff of many timeshare resorts is the staged sale. Professional foreclosure attorneys are acknowledged for their aggressive style of defense. Additionally, the enforceability of the note and deed of trust by conversion in securitization, without the consent of the trustor (homeowner) is an IMPROPER CONVERSION AND ALTERATION OF THE NOTE AND DEED OF TRUST.

17. Tanja says:

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you really know what you’re speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally visit my web site =). We can have a link exchange contract among us

18. Luca says:

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after going through many of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m certainly delighted I came across it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!

19. Juliana says:

Hurrah! At last I got a blog from where I be able to actually take useful data regarding my study and knowledge.

20. Izetta says:

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

21. Judi says:

You can burn 500 calories, plus if you can cut out 500 excess calories from your diet, you will reach your goal of losing 10 pounds in a month. Floor cleaning machines that use the highest-quality components in their construction can be trusted to deliver optimum performance and durability. A lot of times, the stitching devices used for kids are – A�painted with colorful designs that also contain floral designs to – A�attract young girls to push through in learning how to stitch.

22. Hope says:

If you are going for finest contents like me, just pay a quick visit this website all the time as it presents feature contents, thanks

23. Dominga says:

These standards require that organic growers and handlers be certified by third-party state or private agencies or other organizations that are accredited by United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Holding a kite control bar especially designed for snowkiting, the rider allows himself to be pulled by the kite as it is blown by the wind. As a result of tax refunds, SRAC sales to the state, north jersey kitchen area remodeling service providers and the others, NJ has now numerous options when it comes to earth-friendly renewable resource.

24. Mittie says:

Hello friends, good paragraph and good urging commented at this place, I am really enjoying by these.

25. Chara says:

I was already in the home business that I enjoyed, and so I had no want to join his, and so I simply became a customer. Notice immediately when something is in less than good order. And if you want to do a friend a favour then slide them a copy of these tips before their next presentation.

26. Milford says:

Unlike what many people think, pregnancy is not merely about planning, but has more in terms of effective planning. But if you’re on an irregular period then keep track of your cervical mucus to get clues if you’re ovulating. The answer is because the natural approach to fixing what has broken down in your reproductive system is not as hard as you think.

27. Celina says:

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve visited your blog before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Regardless, I’m definitely happy I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back often!

28. Renato says:

Braces and other solutions provided by orthodontists can correct issues with teeth that may lead to early decay, gum disease, TMJ, and other ailments which could plague a person with uneven teeth and jaw alignment problems. Invisalign Invisible braces can give you full confidence and enable you to feel happier and comfortable along with making the best impression. Orthodontic professionals have become more effective over time, and many are providing new and pain-free orthodontic solutions, but searching for which orthodontist to use may be the most painful part of the procedure.

29. Katharina says:

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My blog site is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would definitely benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks a lot!

30. Mary Marie Partridge says:

Target is very savvy, and this clothing line is a smart move, for Christmas
    but I don’t think the movie will be a success, and the video will be in Targets bargain bin

31. Ralcarbo says:

What’s only hinted at here is that Sony Pictures owns the costume designs, Ms. Kalfus will be lucky to see a dime from a Target tie-in.
    It’s a hard-knock life for artists creating “works for hire”.

More Artisans News from Variety