Jeanne Cooper, ‘Young and the Restless’ Star, Dies at 84

jeanne cooper dead

Emmy-winning soap star also appeared on 'Perry Mason'

Jeanne Cooper, the soap opera star best known for her role on “The Young and the Restless,” died Wednesday morning in Los Angeles from an undisclosed illness.  She was 84.

Cooper’s son, actor Corbin Bernsen, confirmed the actress’ death on Twitter.

Cooper portrayed Katherine Chancellor on “The Young and the Restless” for more than four decades. She also appeared on appeared on such programs as “Perry Mason,” “Cheyenne” and “The Adventures of Kit Carlson.”

The veteran soap star received 10 Daytime Emmy nominations over her career, winning once in 2008 after receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004. She was also nominated for two Primetime Emmys.

Cooper is survived by her three children, Corbin, Colin and Caren.

Jeanne Cooper Photos:

1. Gary Cooper says:

I can’t believe we lost Kay Chancelor!!! I am so sadden by the news of Jeane Cooper passing

2. Tracy Clemons says:

You will be missed!!! I have watched you for years, thoughts and prayers to her family and y&r family…. Hugs to all!!!

3. Man, what a loss to not only Corbin and his family, but to Jeanne’s co-stars as well. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

4. Kim Hanes says:

I’ve watched it since it first came on the air,she was a fantastic actress she made cry,laugh,and even get mad but that’s a great actress.Young and Restless will never be the same.RIP Jeanne(Katherine).God bless. Your family and your Young and Restless family.You will be missed but not forgotten.

5. patsy powell says:

So sorry for your loss she will be truly missed prayers to the family and y&r.

6. Patricia Stallinger says:

I have watched Y&R from the being, since I was a teenager. Loved Katherine’ character from the start. RIP dear Jeanne Cooper.

7. Debbie Waite says:

We will miss u…….. U were The Young and The Restless! ….. RIP

8. Sedrick says:

Correction: Miss Cooper played Katherine CHANCELLOR, not Chandler!

9. DONNA WARD says:

rest in peace miss C u will be missed we love u !

10. Kath says:

I enjoyed watching Jeanne Cooper over the years on Y&R. I often see her in shows early in her career, she was a true gift to us all. I am very sorry for your loss.

• dopperman says:

I’ve watched Y and R since the 70’s when it started. Young and The Restless just won’t be the same without Katherine. Rest in peace Jeanne. My prayers are with her families on and off TV.