‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ Renewed by TLC

Who do you think you are

Revived show drew just shy of 2 million viewers during its first run on TLC

“Who Do You Think You Are?” was given a second chance by TLC after NBC cancelled the series last year, and now it looks like the unscripted family history program has become a new mainstay on cable network’s lineup.

TLC announced today that it has handed “Who Do You Think You Are?” a second season, ordering 10 hourlong episodes of the revived series that will air in 2014. Program has been averaging 1.8 million total viewers in its first run on TLC, and has thus far featured celebs including Kelly Clarkson, Cindy Crawford, Chelsea Handler and Zooey Deschanel.

The season one finale of “Who Do You Think You Are?” on TLC will feature Jim Parsons and air tonight at 9 p.m.

Show is produced for TLC by Shed Media US and Is or Isn’t Entertainment, with Lisa Kudrow and Dan Bucatinsky exec producing. The series is based on an original format created by Wall to Wall Media and Alex Graham.

1. Claire Grant -Sieverding says:

As an family tree researcher for my family,, I always watch EVERY episode of Who Do You Think You Are? for tips and more places to seek for the various lineages of my family. I look forward to the 2016 season. I understand it may take yr. to research a line for presentation on the show and for that I am most happy to hear comments from the producers, so the rest of us do not give up EVER.

2. Sherry Riddle says:

Will this show be aired in 2015. If yes when is the start date. I love this show and don’t want to miss it

3. C. Cox says:

Love the show, I would also like to see past seasons again. Any chance of TLC doing reruns?

4. Roseanne Hennigan says:

can’t find “Who Do You Think You Are?” in my area…Camillus, Ny

5. katy martin says:

This program is a great advertisement for genealogical researcher. It encourages those who want to do it, but have been reluctant to start. I just wish the program would air, on TV, on a day and in a time slot that is not occupied by such shows as ‘Dancing with the Stars’ or other very popular series. I believe viewership would increase even more. Repeating the show in the wee hours or expecting those who miss it to watch on the computer [not my cup of tea] or believing that everyone owns a device that can tape it while watching something else is a problem. In the right time period this could be a great show for the whole family.

6. Patricia says:

I am missing the show greatly,now that the current season just ended. Having to wait until 2014 to see new episodes is hard to do, when one’s so into genealogy.

7. Dee says:

So glad that WDYTUR has been renewed. Great news..

8. Arleen Kornet says:

I’m so happy that TLC picked up this very enjoyable program. Hope it continues.

9. B Mangual says:

I was bummed that NBC cancelled this program, and so happy TLC picked it up. It really is fascinating television. Stick with it!

10. leslie rubinson says:

Thank you to tlc. This show is one of the best on Tv.

11. So glad to hear WDYTYA had been renewed. Simply learning about some of the resources that are out there makes it worthwhile. I’ll be looking forward to the next season. Will seasons 3 & 4 being coming out on DVD?

12. leannejane says:

Love this show! So glad that it’s been renewed!

13. Bob Vaughan says:

Bravo, Lisa Kudrow! WDYTUA is a big hit with our family. I have been researching our family for over 35 years, and I learn new methods everytime I watch this show. Very well done and interesting. Everyone should want to know where they came from. Keep it up. Bob V. Clovis, California

14. Steven Squires says:

I really love the show, especially since TLC took over. I think you have made it even more personable than before. Instead of simply seeing how far back a celebrity can trace their lineage, some stars are making it more personal, like Chritina Appelgate, and how there ancestors affected them and their immediate loved ones.
    Thank you so much Lis Kudrow.

15. Elaine Thompson says:

Great show! I watched every episode. Would also like to see “an ordinary” citizen selected for the series as we all have “extraordinary” ancestors.

16. Virginia Huebner says:

love it – glad it is renewed

17. Sue Orr says:

Love this show. Glad to see it is renewed for another season. NBC’s loss!

18. Diane Parsons says:

So happy to hear this. I have never missed an episode. Hope you keep it going forever.

19. helene espinoza says:

Truly excited and will watch as I have been watching both season 1 & 2.
    I started using Ancestry to trace my roots awhile back.
    Have done searches for quite a few friends too!
    This show just inspires me to continue my research.

20. David Morgan says:

I have a 90 year old aunt who has been doing genealogy for over 55 years. I would to see you profile someone like her who has a relative or two.

TLC should dump Honey Boo Boo and keep intelligent programing like this.

21. Love this show! Has inspired me to search my Moms & Dads side of our families. On my own I’ve done some research and still want to do more with the help of the computer online services that assist in this area. I have to wait till I can afford it tho! I’ve written a short story about me! To leave info for my now grown up son. I had a stroke after my son’s birth and there are a lot of questions there. So I thought I’d start there, then move to our parents, I am slightly disabled & can only use part of my left hand to type with. So any other help or assistance I can get will be appreciated! So these are my plans and this show gives me a lot of info that I will be able to use when I get some extra money!!! So thanks for keeping this show, “Who Do You Think You Are” on next season!

22. Janet Johannesson says:

WE “LOVE” THIS PROGRAM!!!! IT IS SO “INTERESTING”!!!!!! WE WOULD “LOVE” TO TRACE OUR FAMILY “ROOTS”, HOWEVER, SEEMS LIKE YOU NEED LOTS OF $$$$ TO BE ABLE TO FLY OVER TO THE OTHER COUNTRIES TO TRACE WAY BACK IN HISTORY!!! THIS IS ONE OF MY “FAVORITE” PROGRAMS TO WATCH!!!!! SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT IT HAS BEEN RENEWED FOR ANOTHER SEASON!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

23. Terri Lowe says:

Love this show and so glad you are bringing it back. Can’t wait until next season. Thanks!!!!

24. Marie says:

Thank you for bringing it back. I really enjoy watching this show. In fact, it is the only reality show I watch.

25. Beth Carlton says:

I have watched every episode of “Who Do You Think You Are” since it began. My father is very involved in researching our family history, and it was something I could never understand nor appreciate. Watching this program has given me such an appreciation for history, which really would have been beneficial in school, but also a deep desire to not just trace my family tree, but to go and see where these ancestors lived out their story. Making history come alive for someone is one thing. Showing someone how they are part of history is priceless. Thank you!!!

26. Jason says:

Thanks for bringing back the best “reality show” on TV. I know a lot of people who cannot wait to see who the celebs will be next season, but I want to ask why not bring back one or two of the people who have been on in the past? For the most part each of them only followed one branch of family tree on the show. They could always follow another offshoot of the same branch or an entirely different branch of their family altogether.

27. YIPPPEEE!!! Finally an intelligent network!!! Love “Who Do You Think You Are”!! Not only does it tell family stories, but also shows how History can be interesting.

28. Tami says:

I am glad TLC picked up this show. I missed the first half of this season and hope those are aired again soon.

29. William Morgan says:

This is really a wonderful show. I do hope it will continue for a very long time.

30. Carmen says:

Love the show and look forward to seeing it next season but I do hate the Honey Boo Boo count down and ads on the screen. It really messes up the view.

31. Donna says:

I am thrilled Who Do You Think You Are is returning. it’s one of my favorite shows. Thank you TLC

32. Betty says:

Love this show. I would like to see an “unknown” person find their ancestors some of the time. I also agree with others, the HBB countdown logo & ads have got to go!!

33. Yolanda Meijer says:

Joehoe ;) I’m a viewer from the Netherlands and saw all the series from the UK but glad that now there will be more to see from the USA. Excellent and looking forward…. Good choice…. :)

34. Kathryn McInnis-Misenor says:

Thank goodness it was the dumbest cancellation in years. I do our family history and we love this show, watched every episode twice!!!! Lisa,you knew the trend in family history is big and stories sell and give hope but also educate us about life and history. My mother always wanted a show like this thank goodness she got to see the NBC show, their loss TLC’s gain.

35. Angela Mintz says:

I love “Who Do You Think You Are”! Glad more episodes are coming!

36. Wade Lee Haron says:

I am so happy to hear that this show is coming back next year! I didn’t miss an episode this season at all and some were so interesting and intriguing that I watched them twice or three times when they re-aired. This season’s cast was awesome, I can’t wait to see what stars are going to trace their family history next season. Be sure to keep us posted to when the new season starts and what stars are going to be featured. Can’t wait!

37. TammyL says:

So thrilled this show was given a much needed second chance. I have loved it from the beginning! I hope the last season of it on NBC is released to DVD. I had saved most of them but lost a couple I would love to have again. THANK YOU TLC for making my Tuesday nights! It is the best show in your line up!!

38. Faye says:

Love this show ! come back soon!

39. leannejane says:

Love,love, love this program! So glad that something worth watching is still on TV. Thank you for renewing it. When does the next “season” start?

40. Mike savery says:

Love it

41. Sandra Hales says:

This is my favorite show. I was upset when it was cancelled. I have a degree in history and do a lot of genealogy research.

42. Cathleen says:

This is the absolute best show I have watched in many years

43. Dale Rumsey says:

thank you TLC for picking up WDYTYA…would love to see 1 or 2 random viewers have the same opportunity to see their family history on your show as well. each viewer could have a 1/2 hr segment to make 1 show. my daughter & I have done some searching of our family (my mother’s side) & have gotten stuck…I know it’s hard work. just a thought. God bless & carry on.

44. Pam says:

I am thrilled. I absolutely love this program.

45. Betty Beardsley says:

Yes! Absolutely love this program! I was so sad when NBC dropped it but rejoiced when TLC picked it up! We all came from somewhere and its amazing to see the journey that they all take!

46. Diane says:

Love this show. Very interesting and historical. Love the “real” factor in the lives of these celebrities. So glad it is coming back!!

47. Annie Brennan says:

I LOVE this show…and have not missed an episode in any of the seasons. However, TLC…I was COMPLETELY disgusted last night with the Honey Booboo displays throughout the ENTIRE show. UNNECESSARY!!! The audience for this show is most likely not your target audience for that other “show”…and if you look at the FB page for WDYTYA…you’ll see an alarming number of these same opinions. And we were SOOOO looking forward to last night’s episode too….those took away from the show…especially when they blocked pictures and shots of historical records. Fix this TLC!!!!!

• Betty says:

I totally agree!

• Karen says:

Completely unnecessary adds blocking the view. This is a display of cheap advertising someone should be held accountable for this poor choice and if it continues you will lose viewers nothing worse than leaving you viewers no choice except to not watch.

48. karen says:

Love this show, thank you!!!!

49. Mary Jo Piazza says:

Great news, I love this show!!!