‘Under the Dome’ Gets Second Airing After Hitting Ratings Low

Under the Dome CBS

Monday's episode of the CBS hit started late in much of the country, faced big football action

The combination of tennis and pro football conspired to keep some “Under the Dome” viewers from watching Monday’s episode, but CBS is giving them a second chance.

After watching the top new summer program to come along in years fall to season lows on Monday, the Eye announced Tuesday that the season’s penultimate episode will be rebroadcast Saturday night at 9.

“Under the Dome” had been gaining steam in the last two weeks — thanks in part to the end of the Time Warner blackout — but last night’s episode started about 25 minutes late in the East and Central time zones, thus keeping some viewers from being able to watch. According to Nielsen, Monday’s episode averaged a 2.1 rating/6 share in adults 18-49 and 9.72 million viewers overall, down week-to-week by 22% in the demo and by 13% in total viewers.

CBS had aired the men’s final of the U.S. Open earlier Monday evening, and coverage didn’t wrap until 8:55 p.m. ET. The net opted to stick with its planned comedy repeats, meaning “The Big Bang Theory” did not conclude until about 10:25. The show aired at its regularly scheduled time in the West.

Monday also marked the season premiere of ESPN’s “Monday Night Football,” which aired a doubleheader that played in primetime on both coasts and likely took away some viewers.

The Saturday night repeat makes sense, as CBS will be able to promote it to a large audience during its coverage of the much-anticipated college football game between Alabama and Texas A&M, scheduled for 3:40 p.m. ET.

“Under the Dome” wraps its first season next Monday.

1. Jeanine says:

The show started out good and then slowed down and drug on and on. I lost interest, don’t care now if they finish it or not.

2. Steve says:

wtf?? Its Monday and under the dome us not on?? Nice call you stupit p@#ks. . Shut it down with only 2 shows left? I have never in my life saw such unprofessional decision making…Ill never watch this station again if I cant even trust them to finish the series

• chrislund1969 says:

FYI: The final episode (aka the season finale) aired last Monday, September 16th. Anyone who watched it knew that it was the season finale because the dome was lit up completely with “pink stars falling in lines” just as Junior was about to hang Barbie in front of the whole town.

3. David says:

people aren’t watching because the writing is POOR. Showing it over and over again won’t fix that problem.

• michaela mcCall-Stilinsky says:

no i live under the dome specially the couple= jo&norrie and julia&barbie <333 plz dont cancel the show i wanna know uf barbie dies wat happens after and if big jim dies and who really is the monarch !!! I LOVE THIS SHOW AND I CANT WAIT TILL SEASON TWO.. does any one know when season two is airing ?!!!!!???!?!???

4. brutony says:

Because the Dome told me!

5. Pissed Off says:

Hey butt wipes! How about saying something about it on the network instead of only on your piece of crap, slow as crap website. Thanks for nothing!

• brutony says:

I only knew because I got a text about a half hour before-I was busy watching MNF and my Eagles and totally forgot it was on! But youd think the genuises at CBS wouldnt have put on TBBT and just started UTD on time?

6. Lisa Mills says:

Thank you for showing this episode again. Since I DVR’d it, I was surprisingly shocked when Big Bang Theory started off (which is another favorite of mine). After my DVR clicked off after the hour, and the Dome was not finished yet, I quickly googled it to find out if I could catch the ending online. Instead finding that it is going to reair. Phew!!!

7. Rebecca says:

CBS does this all the time. “60 minutes” is pre-empted for almost the entirety of football season and I had to stop watching “The Amazing Race” altogether because DVRing it was a total crapshoot. Why they don’t allow buffer time for sports to end is beyond me because it happens so consistently. Worst programming department in all of television.

8. Dennis says:

I’m very happy to see it will be rebroadcast. As a tennis player/fan I totally understand the men’s final throwing a wrinkle into the schedule, and yet when I sat down to watch on the dvr I get a repeat of Big Bang Theory. So if Under the Dome started 25 minutes late I wonder what overpaid dunderhead made that decision. Why didn’t they just eliminate five minutes of commercials over the course of the next hour and show one of their highest rated shows almost on time? I think it’s time this programming exec looks for a new line of work.

9. nick says:

You are setting it up to fail you morons. People work on Mondays I work nights and catch up on ondemand when I’m home that very night. Air it on weekends too!!!

10. brutony says:

On Demand, from your local cablecos, satcos, or telcos!

11. Ron says:

So where do you find full episodes of under the dome on CBS and not just short clips?

12. Patty says:

THANK YOU CBS!! This has been one of the best Summer TV shows this year!! I also DVR’d & was VERY po’d when I sat down to watch. Was planning on catching up on my computer, but will now wait for Saturday.

13. Felicia. says:

Thank you! I DVR it and was
    so mad I didn’t get to see the last half!!

14. Helen Mack says:

Thank You Thank you I also DVR it and watch it on Monday was very upset missing the last half so again thank you for putting it on again!

15. atlanta says:

I do love this show, but I was aghast at CBS’s decision to delay it in order to show tennis and then, repeats. During football season, CBS routinely delays Amazing Race and the Good Wife, sometimes to show the ends of 4 or more games, even after the main game has ended. I hope they see that this sports-centric mania doesn’t do their brand or their shows any good.

16. Sharon says:

What a great science fiction show. Appeals to older teens and adults

17. Jim says:

Thank you! Taped it, so therefore I missed the last 36 min. Of it.

18. Andrew Mc says:

Thank you!

19. wade says:

Is the time ET or central?

20. Vickey Sanborn says:

I love this show. I really hope it comes back every season.

21. Tiffany says:

Love this show! Missed the end last night because we DVR every week and watch it on Tuesday. Thank you CBS for rebroadcasting.

22. Vanessa Holt says:

I love this show, love how it keeps you guessing to the end. Not being able to see thewhole episode on monday was sad. I’m so hapoy that it will be rebroad cast on Saturday night. One more thing, I will be so gald when big jim secrets come to light. I simply love Barbie role , he was placed to be trapped inside the dome fora reason. I do think that he is the towns savior. I will be watching until the last episode airs.

23. Russ says:

Perhaps it takes a little sci-fi imagination to appreciate the refreshing concept of something new like Under The Dome. I was appalled that my recorder missed recording it last night because it aired late. Thank you network for making the episode available on line. Lets also be clear, I really like the show!!!

24. Carrie says:

Thank you so much!

25. Terry says:

Thank you CBS.

26. Todd says:

Dumb show with really bad acting that’s getting dumber with every episode. Better get JJ Abrams to take over Season 2!

27. Gio says:

Lets be clear we are taling about a Summer success. The numbers are good for Summer. Perhaps, like myself, people stopped watching when they heard the show was given a second season. I was in it for a sweet summer ride with a big pay off at the end. No such luck. At the very least a second season with the dome falling on a whole new cast and location would have been nice. No longer interested and clearly I am not alone.

28. Lotk says:

I don’t think it has anything to do with sports. It’s just a really dumb show

29. FTCS says:

Good thing it isn’t tonight, because then the lower ratings could be blamed on Obama.