‘True Blood’ To End on HBO in 2014

True Blood Ending in 2014, HBO

Seventh season will be its last

HBO’s “True Blood” seventh season next year will be its last, the network announced today.

The departure will come following a 10-episode season that will premiere next summer. Brian Buckner, who succeeded Alan Ball as showrunner, will preside over the final campaign of the series based on Charlaine Harris’ books.

“ ‘True Blood’ has been nothing short of a defining show for HBO,” network programming prexy Michael Lombardo said.

The “True” farewell adds to something of a changing of the guard for HBO drama in the next 12 months, with “Treme” also calling it a day following an abbreviated fifth season in December. “Game of Thrones,” “Boardwalk Empire” and “The Newsroom” remain.

Among projects in development for HBO are an adaptation of Tom Perotta novel “The Leftovers” by Damon Lindelof (“Lost”) and a drama set in the 1970s music world (with Bobby Cannavale attached) from Mick Jagger and “Boardwalk Empire” exec producers Terence Winter and Martin Scorsese.

Also in the works is “The Missionary,” a historical drama set in Cold War Berlin with Malcolm Gladwell, Charles Randolph, Steve Levinson and Mark Wahlberg exec producing, as well as a potential remake of the 1973 film “Westworld” by Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy, J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk and Jerry Weintraub.

“True Blood” was nominated for a drama series Emmy in 2010 and delivered a Golden Globe for lead actress Anna Paquin in 2009.

1. isislc says:

That’s it for me too, no more HBO after the last season. I only watched HBO for True Blood and even worked my work schedule around it so I would never miss the first showing of the episode. I, also feel like we’re being robbed the 2 extra episodes also. Yes they explained the babies for last season but women recover pretty quick after child birth and I’m sure they have enough money to afford a nannie on set so the babies aren’t alone. There are too many story lines left open and they aren’t going to be able to wrap them all up in 10 episodes unless they are killing off all the main characters or turning them to Vamps!

2. I was thinking the same. They made such a big deal out of how they wanted to fix what had been wrong with the previous season, and now they won’t at least reap those benefits for two seasons? It’s ridiculous.

3. mmmaddie13 says:

Am I the only one upset that there’s going to be only 10 episodes again? Personally I think season six was a heck of a lot better than 5 (u think we can all agree season 5 was a bit of a struggle to watch), but six ended so abruptly and the fact that so much was crammed into the last couple episodes leads me to believe that if there had been two more episodes, it would have made a little bit more sense. Yeah, I understand that Anna Paquin was pregnant with twins, sure, that’s fine, but is she again? Bring back the 12 episodes for the final season please. This is the show that made me watch HBO in the first place, please don’t cut us short before we have to say goodbye.

4. Joanne says:

OMG I’m so upset. True Blood is the only reason I watch HBO. I guess I’ll be dropping HBO once True Blood ends. Maybe I’ll drop it now and pick it up for the last season of True Blood and drop it again for good after that! Shame, Shame, Shame on you!!!!!

5. AC says:

NOOOOOO please let this not be true. SO sad. Favorite show ever!

6. JL says:

They should have followed the Hadley story line more.

7. This sucks im a big fan of trueblood I look forward every june to watch trueblood I dont understand why they are ending.well at least I hope they get sookie and bill back together

8. Ashley says:

Michelle, read carefully. Game of Thrones isn’t going anywhere.

9. Michelle says:

OMG , it’s not gonna be the same with out True Blood or The Game of Thrones I love those 2 series …… :(

10. Reginald Wedge says:

Good riddance! All of television, in any form that it is broadcast, transmitted, streamed, etc., is schlock and dreck and the entire Entertainment Industry is, as Newton Minnow said, “a vast wasteland.”

11. Mugsy1437 says:

Sorry to hear True Blood will be leaving for good. We will need Dvd’s of all seasons of course. Yes Fairyland did True Blood in. Should have followed the books more.

12. Robyn Hunt says:

The writers killed True Blood with Fairyland.

13. asl3676 says:

True Blood should have been cancelled after last season…The show has become tedious and boring…

• Vicky Venardos says:

I love true blood read the books , but I also love and laugh at how several ran to th tv to watch I hate that u caught Eric on fire can wait to see what u do next, oh read Karen moning fae series I love to see Allan Ball make a series of that see u in 2014