Thomas Roberts, Mel B to Host 2013 Miss Universe Pageant

Miss Universe 2013

News follows Andy Cohen ankling the beauty pageant due to host country's anti-gay laws

Thomas Roberts and Mel B will host the 2013 Miss Universe beauty pageant, NBC announced today. Both hosts hail from the Peacock family, as Roberts hosts “MSNBC Live” and Mel B serves as judge on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent.”

This year’s Miss Universe pageant will be held in Crocus City Hall in Moscow, and the location for the 2013 iteration of the venerable pageant franchise sparked controversy, as Russia had recently unveiled a slate of laws that banned “propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations around minors” and discouraged the public discussion of homosexuality.

The Miss Universe pageant issued a statement in August, noting that the instated Russian laws are “diametrically opposed to the core values” of the org.

Andy Cohen announced in August that he would not return to host the pageant due to these laws, noting that, as a gay man, he “didn’t feel right stepping foot in Russia.” He had previously hosted Miss Universe’s 2011 and 2012 pageants.

Roberts, who is openly gay, took to MSNBC’s website to pen a blog post about his decision to host the pageant in spite of Russia’s anti-gay laws. In it, he writes:

“This November, I will co-host Miss Universe in Moscow partly because it is a huge, visible opportunity for LGBT people. Everywhere…I am just like millions of LGBT people around the world. We are good, regular, hard-working people who come from solid families. So when I heard there was a chance at this assignment I aggressively went after it.”

He continues, “I too am diametrically opposed to these laws and share in the president’s outrage. I am unafraid to say I am proud of my husband and my family—I’m proud of their love for me. I’m proud of the incredible steps forward equality has taken this year…So people may wonder: “Thomas, how can you accept this assignment? Shouldn’t you boycott Russia?” I am not going to boycott.  Boycotting and vilifying from the outside is too easy. Rather, I choose to offer my support of the LGBT community in Russia by going to Moscow and hosting this event as a journalist, an anchor and a man who happens to be gay. Let people see I am no different than anyone else.”

The 62nd annual Miss Universe Pageant will be broadcast on Nov. 9 on NBC, with a Spanish simulcast on Telemundo.

1. YepImGay says:

What a disappointment! I thought Mel B, and certainly Roberts, supported the LGBT community. To help Trump make more profit so he can fight against marriage equality is one thing, but to support a country who are literally torturing and rounding up gay people is horrible! At least we can depend on Cher. She said “no” to performing at the Olympics to show her support of GLBT folks.

2. Vince says:

What we are trying to comment is that we only express how proud we are of our contestant. And besides we Filipinos have the value to support each other in our own little ways….

3. Vince says:

Thailander, your false accusations and filthy comments about the Philippines proved that you are really such an ignorant person…

4. kylie says:

Go Philippines! Mabuhay

5. facebook thanaphat rattikarnwadee am thai says:

i want you to be fair for miss universe from asia country too! this is miss universe not miss white woman universe! also you turn back to watch miss world that both host be un fair they gave credit for philippines and this is not miss money world! miss usa crown in her host country miss china miss vietnam philippines all of them cheated you know what am talking about and am sure that! ps. this is miss universe not miss money universe or miss white woman universe . thank u i ll be watching every step you walk! i ll be watching your mouth all words u says!

6. Joseph Oroza says:

Thomas Roberts should have NEVER accepted this assignment which means condoning Russia’s stance on the LGBT community not to mention getting in bed with Donald Trump, to whom he just gave 10 minutes of free advertising time and who just said on Robert’s MSNBC show that he does NOT APPROVE of same sex marriage. Andy Cohen had the integrity to decline the invitation to host the show. It is really disappointing and disgusting that he is such pathetic social climber and a traitor to the LGBT community. I will NOT watch his show on MSNBC any longer and will begin a boycott on the Miss Trumperverse show.

7. Mel B. is a good choice. She’s great in Miss Universe 2008, but i have doubts on Thomas Roberts. I’m looking forward to watch Miss Universe 2013. I hope it will go smoothly in Russia.

8. Vince says:

Go Philippines!!!!

9. Thomas Roberts will be paid to support TeaBagging Birther gay basher Donald Trump http://www.missuniverse.com/info/corporateinfo
    CORPORATE INFORMATION
    The MISS UNIVERSE®, MISS USA® and MISS TEEN USA® Pageants are a Donald J. Trump and NBC Universal joint venture.

10. cynic says:

Good for Thomas. One way to fight ignorance and fear is by standing up in the face of it and proving that all people are the same and deserve the same rights.