‘The Glades’ Cancelled by A&E

the glades

A&E has taken an axe to crime drama “The Glades,” cancelling it after four seasons.

Canning arrives on the heels of “The Glades” pulling season high ratings during its season four finale this week, drawing 3.4 million total viewers in its Monday prime timeslot.

Created by Clifton Campbell, the Florida-set crime drama debuted on A&E in July of 2010, averaging just under 4 million viewers during its frosh run. Series spent three seasons on A&E’s Sunday night lineup before being bumped to Monday nights at 9 p.m. for its most recent run, where it averaged a little over 2.5 million viewers.

“The Glades” starred Matt Passmore and was produced by Fox TV Studios.

Still awaiting word on its fate is second-year drama “Longmire,” which aired alongside “The Glades” on Monday this season and fared better in the ratings than the vet.

A&E declined comment for this story.

1. Kim Johnson says:

Well, I guess I quit watching A&E! Glades was the best thing they had going. Too bad they have someone with NO COMMON SENSE making the decisions, I mean, wasn’t the show a money maker?

2. George, Evans Jr. says:

A&E the one show that isn’t extremely violent. This show was enjoyable to watch Jim and Callie were a cute couple living a life of to different career paths. And a wedding that even I was looking forward too. No more A&E for me really sad to do away with a show you never put the advertising into everyone I told about the show got hooked. And to end not even saying season finale and ending that way bad marketing.

3. Dorothy says:

I am not watching a&e anymore . I have been watching glades on netflex to catch up on the show . I just found it . And now it’s canceled . Why didn’t they advertise it . ? It’s a great show . I am disappointed . N to leave a cliffhanger . Poor decisions

• Rita says:

I am not watching A&E any more. The Glades is a super program and to cancelled it at the time of the their wedding and Jim getting shot was not good. I hope that your channel A & E drops in the bucket big time. The public should have been given notice that they were going to be cancelled “The Glades and Longmire” both good programs. Sad viewer. NO MORE A&E!!!!!!!!!

• heather says:

I agree. There aren’t many good shows on anymore and ive been watching the Glades since it started. To end it like they did and then cancel it, along with good ratings is wrong. They need to bring it back.

4. sarah says:

How stupid can A&E be???? That was. Such a great show and leave all the fans out there waiting for the outcome with Ray and Jim & Callie’s wedding?!. Hoping A&E change their minds.

5. Phil says:

With all of the terrible, trashy and dim witted shows on TV, The Glades was a welcome respite. Well written with good actors doesn’t seem to matter. Glades deserves a better home and hopefully will be picked up by another non network. I am disgusted.

6. kevin says:

I only like two shows on a&e and they canceled the glades so now I will no longer watch the other show in protest of the bad decision made by the executives of a&e

7. anonymous says:

such bull shit how do u cancel a show with that big of a cliffhanger at least explain what will happen

8. Michael Aldridge says:

No, no, no!!!

9. P. Hendrickson says:

I enjoyed both The Glades and Longmire. I am sad about the cancelation of Glades. I like Passmore and the other cast members. I don’t watch reality TV. It is nice to have good summer programs when there are nothing but reruns. SaD, SAD, SAD.

10. floridatav says:

The Glades was the only other show besides Longmire that I watched on A&E! Fans like me are the viewers that network will now LOSE because we refuse to watch “reality” dreck. I can’t believe they would end The Glades with that cliffhanger and no resolution for those of us who have been watching since the very first episode. Since Fox produced it, maybe Fox should pick it up and place it in their line-up for next summer. It may find an even larger audience there, since A&E never promoted The Glades much.

11. Paula says:

I love “The Glades” and can’t believe it has been canceled. What is wrong with these TV networks. They play all these stupid, phoney reality shows, but cancel a show that is enjoyable. Come on people, get your heads out of your asses, and renew this show!

• Sharin Heinrich says:

The only shows left on A & E is stupid and funded by the people putting it on the air. A & E has become a station for stupid shows and I will not be wasting my time watching it.

12. Brent Riddick says:

That’s just frickin great…I quit watching TV years ago but when ‘The Glades’ was recommended to me by a friend, I became addicted to it and Passmore’s role. So like everything else in my life that I love, they either cancell it or stop selling it.

13. Rebecca Medeiros says:

Stupid, stupid, stupid move to cancel the glades! A&E would rather put on moronic shows like duck dynasty than a show like glades with great story lines, acting and writing! Won’t be watching A&E anytime soon!

14. Joe Stephens says:

I will not be watching this network again until this program is back on the air. I think that it is ridiculous for a network to leave the audience hanging on such a great show. I hope the network reconsiders and puts the show back on the airbecause as of right now they have lost a committed and faithful watcher… let’s save the glades

15. Chris says:

Save The Glades…don’t leave millions of fans hanging!

16. What can we do to save The Glades TV series? It was educational, funny, had a great love story. What can be better. Please save it for season V. It is so much better than a great number of other programs that A & E produces.

17. Julie says:

That’s the dumbest thing I had ever heard….cancel a show when its finale gets high ratings. Its a show that has done well all the years its has been on. What would be the reason to cancel? Stupid people in charge…all I can say…

18. Rose says:

They should at least wrap up the story line and not leave it on one heck of a cliffhanger. That’s cruel to the viewers who enjoyed the show.

19. Cynthia says:

I hope they can reverse their decision. This was a great show, with a great cast, great chemistry. The Glades was the only reason why I watched A&E and had started watching Longmire but now that they cancelled The Glades I will not watch anything on that station not even Longmire.

20. kevin lidey says:

I hope another station picks it up & runs with it

21. lovejimandcalli says:

Seriously, I have stuck with the Glades for four seasons because I was dying to find out if Jim and Calli make it, or Calli decides to get real about becoming a doctor. The last episode was the best of the whole season – why on earth cancel it now? Callie should be nursing Jim back to health, somehow miraculously bypassing medical school and residency to become a board-certified surgeon and proceed to take care of the trauma patients/criminals that Jim can prosecute. Maybe they just need some better writers and let the actors do their thing with better scripts.

22. alangraubard says:

I have been reading all of the comments regarding the unfortunate cancellation of this series. The timing couldn’t be worse. I am trying to wonder what the network’s programmer was thinking (along with the others who made this decision). The highest ratings ever for the show; a great “who done it” with our “hero” shot on his wedding day!!! What was/is going on in the heads of these people? I agree with the past comments about the tired interviewing technique but it was a good show to watch and a great lead in for Longmire. Don’t even think about cancelling that one!!!

23. michael says:

I hope another network picks up this show A&E bites

• I agree that someone else MUST pick up The Glades! You can’t let it end like this! While the show needs a reboot of some of the procedural points (Jim’s technique for interviewing suspects is getting old for instance), the characters are charming and the setting is fun. At the very least, a TV movie to tie up the loose ends. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Susan Beck says:

I totally agree with Alexandria. Is there anything we can do to convince A&E to reconsider?

25. Alexandria says:

Why they are cancelling the show that made A & E a network for great scripted shows is beyond understanding. Illustrious cast and a grand show! They should be supporting the show not cancelling it and leaving viewers of A & E programming with the star shot and a wedding to go to! The new executives at A & E are truly traitorous and making an inexcusable bad decision.

26. Anita Zavacky says:

This decision is just wrong! The actors are fantastic and I am still in denial learning it’s not coming back. The heck with A&E. So, who shot Jim Longworth in the back? A&E.

27. Bree says:

I can’t believe this show has been cancelled, it was such a good show with a very likeable cast.
    They should at least give us a conclusion after four seasons.

28. debra plummer says:

so sad to see this show go…it was interesting all the way through and leaving a cliff hanger is just plain wrong.

29. The Glades was cancelled due to Florida Governor Rick Scott shutting down the Florida Film Incentives program. This is why Burn Notice, Magic City and many other productions have left FLorida.

30. jester says:

Another dumb network decision to make room for some pathetic “reality” show I’m sure. Just like Fox did canceling Firefly. Guess there is no reason to watch A&E anymore. It’s no wonder tv is in decline, why spend time trying to keep track of shows, invest time in their story and mess around with DVRs if these networks keep screwing the fans. Just go back to Netflix, Hulu, and other Internet stuff and cancel cable.

31. Marlene says:

A&E why would you cancel such a great show. There is so much junk on tv and the one show that is so enjoyable to watch you cancel. I have watched the show from the beginning. I just don’t understand. I hope you would reconsider.

32. Michelle says:

That is it, will NOT be watching A&E again.

33. Michelle says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I love The Glades :( The least they can do is give us one more episode to wind things up. Stupid jerks.

34. geegollymm says:

The Glades is a brilliant show with a stellar cast. Such a good thing, why would you cancel it???
    I have not been this excited about a tv show in years. And now you are gonna cancel it. :(

35. angie says:

A&E has no loyalty for its shows or their fans. This is one of only two shows that I have ever liked on A&E. The other was Breakout King which was cancelled after two seasons and ended on a cliffhanger. I loved The Glades and was really looking forward to seeing how one of the best cliffhangers of the series would be resolved only to find out the show was cancelled. I am done with A&E and its lack of interest in what the fans want. I will NEVER invest any of my time in another A&E show again!!! Not that they would care anyway!

36. leroy says:

That is just wrong for A&E for canceling the show (The Glades) I really like the show. I hope someone else picks up the show

37. Denise says:

The Glades is one of the very few shows that is worth watching. Why is it when a show starts out great they have to mess with the day it shows. This show should not be cancelled very good actors & I hate it when we are left hanging nor right.

38. Sue says:

How disappointing that A&E has no more respect for their viewers than to cancel The Glades. The final episode leaves us with no resolution and many of us have watched from the start. Viewers are what keeps a network in business. The ratings were good for a cable show-why?-because we tuned in to every episode. I read that A&E has new people making programming decisions, and if this is an example of how they plan to run things I guarantee many of us won’t be wasting our time.

39. Dorlaina Coil says:

When I first saw this show I knew people would either love it or hate it. I am from the love it category. This was my must see Monday show. Longmire is a decent show but one I DVR to watch maybe. Thanks to The Glades crew for 4 years of viewing fun.

40. CLK says:

The Glades should not have been cancelled. It is a very entertaining show and the only A&E show I watch. What were they thinking??

41. bella says:

sad to hear the end of this one i really enjoyed it, but i have to admit once they change the day and time i couldn’t remember when it was on. maybe the network should have left it alone on sunday nigihts

42. THE GLADES was an entertaining, fish-out-of-water procedural, and this season’s addition of Ed Asner and Corbin Bernson were extra spice to a wonderful gumbo. Hopefully another network will pick up THE GLADES because it is just that good!

43. Katie says:

Oh come on who makes these decisions. The Glades is one of the Best shows on the air these days. and very funny. I agree with Cheryl, a very stupid move!!!
    TOTAL IDIOTS. A&E, you just made the biggest mistake ever.

44. You don't care says:

I can’t believe you are canceling a really great show after it receives such high ratings! This was the only show I watched on A&E. I refuse to watch a show about a bunch of bearded people talking about ducks. You will be sorry when another station picks it up. This is a big mistake that you will regret. Adding you station to the food network in my just of stations I don’t watch!

45. Cheryl says:

This is a really very stupid move on the part of A&E. I may just stop watching this station for this stupid move. Take off the good ones & leave the worst ones on. I am truely appauld. This is a hit show. So why are they taking it off? They owe the viewer. They are stupid, stupid, stupid. IDIOTS!!!!!

46. Seabiscuit says:

Amazing to me the disdain and utter disregard for the loyal fans of their shows. Spend the season preparing the star for his wedding. Then leave him laying in a pool of blood. Oh…by the way…we’re cancelling the show. So sorry….BITE ME!!!!!

47. suesue says:

You gotta be kidding me! The writing for this show is over the top great! The quirky lines Jim delivers so very well will be truely missed. Please, someother network pick this show up. Great SEASON finale.

48. Tina Whitney says:

That is so so frigging stupid, like come on, one of the best shows on your station along with Longmire. Well guess you just lost 2 more viewers. But doubt you even care, you’ll just put some stupid ridiculous reality show on

49. quickdraw59 says:

Seriously? Cancel a show on a cliffhanger? Thanks a bunch A&E, that’s sarcasm by the way. The Glades and Longmire is the only reason I turn A&E on, those two shows were worth the effort to watch each week. I know there were flaws–but it’s fictional and a good watch. Guess having fans isn’t in A&E’s scheme of things, so be it. Leaving the whole situation with the lead character bleeding out on the floor is stupid and extremely unprofessional, so, is this the “new” A&E? Might I suggest A&E go pound sand–it’s corporate garbage like this that makes one realize this is why God gave us middle fingers.

50. Vicki says:

This just makes me mad. Leaving Jim laying on the floor, bleeding to death on his weeding day is just typical of the bigwigs. They don’t care how the loyal followers feel. I may just stop watching A&E altogether. Why waste my time watching a show that I enjoy just to have it end in a cliff-hanger!! NO FAIR!!