TCA: CBS Renews ‘Under The Dome’ for Summer 2014

Under The Dome

Series is based on novel by Stephen King

CBS has offered a second run to Stephen King’s “Under the Dome,” and will roll out the 13 new episodes next summer.

King will pen the first episode of that 13-episode arc.

“We’re excited to tell more stories about the mystery of the dome and the secrets in Chester’s Mill, and are thrilled to have the master storyteller himself, Stephen King, tell the first one of next season,” said CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler.

Drama has secured strong ratings for the Eye this summer, averaging just under 14 million viewers and a 3.5 in adults 18-49. Show has also shown significant lift in DVR playback and digital viewing options.

“Under the Dome” is produced by CBS Television Studios in association Amblin Television. Neal Baer, Stephen King, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Stacey Snider, Jack Bender and Brian K. Vaughan, who wrote the television adaptation, are executive producers.

1. Bill says:

I thought I’d avoid this on-air and rent the inevitable Blu-ray release to see how they handled the novel to show transition.

With the addition of a new season it’s clear it’s becoming another “let’s stretch this out as long as we can” series – “see where the dome came from at the end of season ten!!!”

If I want to watch IMHO a better version of this, I’ll re-watch “Jericho.”

2. Frank W says:

I think it was clear in an article I read (EW?) that there was a potential limited repeat series of the cable variety. Well, unless something spectacular happens at episode 10, I won’t be coming back. As I said in an earlier post a few weeks ago, I was reading Pat Frank’s nuclear war survival novel “Alas, Babylon” and saw all the same themes running through “Dome”. Yes, tonight people start to raid the stores for supplies and probably some violent robberies, too, but Alas, Babylon had the good sense to end with hope as the Military arrives because there wasn’t much else to tell afterwards. To paraphrase Charlton Heston on why he didn’t want to do the 2nd Planet of the Apes, it would be just another running around with the monkeys adventure. So this will become a wait a year running around under the dome BORING Adventure. I think i’ll just go and read the book.

3. Frank Caruso says:

I agree with AS, if you read the book you were looking for what was causing this Dome. As an ongoing series all you are doing is a character study with the eventual killing of everyone under the Dome. Sorry, as a series, it doesn’t work for me either. There were some liberties taken in the story already and that was a disappointment, especially as a fan of Stephen King. It works on “Haven” but not here!

4. AS says:

I thought this show was a one shot summer event series. I tuned for the concept and the fact it will have an end. Now with a second a season on the way the show losses major appeal.

5. Steve says:

I feel like the reason people tuned in and are sticking with this pretty poorly written show is because it had an end in sight. Now with a second season coming… I’m not sure I will stick around or return.

6. Stan Gary says:

This was supposed to be a 13 episode miniseries with AN ENDING! Thanks for nothing CBS!