Steve McQueen Moves Into TV with a Drama Set at HBO

Steve McQueen HBO TV Show
Ferdaus Shamim/WireImage

Russell Simmons among those attached to exec produce

With his recent film “12 Years A Slave” garnering critical acclaim, director Steve McQueen is now eying the small screen for one of his latest projects.

HBO has confirmed to Variety that it is developing a drama from McQueen that centers on a young African American man who is entering New York high society, with a past that may not be what it seems.

McQueen will co-write the untitled project with Matthew Michael Carnahan (“World War Z”). McQueen will also serve as director.

Exec producers on the project include McQueen, Carnahan, Iain Canning, Emil Sherman and Russell Simmons.

In addition to helming “12 Years A Slave,” McQueen’s recent film credits include “Hunger” and “Shame.” His HBO project is his first foray in television.

Deadline was first to report on McQueen’s HBO project.

1. Lakyia. Skinner says:

The movie 12yrs a slave is a wonderful film and I had the privilege of being a featured extra in the movie and I would love to be in any future films that Steve McQueen shoots.

2. Daphne says:

I was able to see the showing of 12 Yrs a Slave at the Mill Valley Film Festival, and have since wondered when it will be released to the general public. It is very confusing and frustrating to see trailers and “Now showing in select theaters” at every turn, but no theaters actually showing this wonderful and “must see” movie. We need this movie to be shown in major movie theaters!!

3. ted says:

Unclear on the concept, gives us something to sink our teeth in.

4. O says:

The show is going to run into trouble right off the bat if the writers don’t clarify their log line. As written above I know absolutely nothing about the protagonist or the type of show I’m going to watch. In case you think I’m being silly about the log line let me draw your attention to Hostages on cbb. How is that show going to survive more than one season? She refuses to kill the president then what? Where is this show going? I argue that people are not watching that show, for several reasons, but one of them is because they don’t understand what the show is about. Why should I invest my time in a show that doesn’t care to nail down exactly what it’s main tension will be. I know this is an early announcement, but that is my comment. Please get a more accurate log line.

5. The Kingslayer says:

Steve McQueen is one of the most exciting young directors out there at the moment.

6. Roxanne Santoro says:

Sounds like Will Smith’s six degrees of seperation on steroids! and reworking of-something else-Not very original work…..

7. a says:

“HBO has confirmed to Variety that it is developing a drama from McQueen that centers on a young African American man who is entertain New York high society, with a past that may not be what it seems.” #spellcheckfail